crap what next?!

-

j par

Well-hung Member
Reaction score
as promised from my exploding dipstick thread - I found the number 1 intake port is oily? Intake gasket leaking in just # 1? I have a new Felpro 1213 S - 3 coming to replace the lamost new one that I have now and thinking I guess? I don't know- gasket sealer? Never use that in this spot before?
any experience with this problem would be greatly appreciated!

I use gaskacinch on my gaskets to help them seal. It works great!

It's now marketed through Edelbrock and available at mancini...

I use gaskacinch on my gaskets to help them seal. It works great!

It's now marketed through Edelbrock and available at mancini...

thank you krazykuda ! I used "the right stuff" on most of the motor and had no leaks. I had one heck of a time getting the oil pan off and i used it on the front and back of the intake manifold and that gave me considerable trouble. I'm between not wanting a manifold leak and not needing an act of God to get it off.
I'm thinking of a gasket sealer called "A perfict world"! LOL :D

One more question ? The oil has oddly traveled up into the intake a little:dontknow:
Could it be possible that the new valve seal is leaking? If that was the case I would think the oil would be more strait down the valve and out?

One more question ? The oil has oddly traveled up into the intake a little:dontknow:
Could it be possible that the new valve seal is leaking? If that was the case I would think the oil would be more strait down the valve and out?

Did you put any type of sealer on the two center bolt threads by the carb on each side? Oil can wick up the threads and puddle on the intake under those bolts. The two bolts in the center of the intake on each side of the carb...

Look at your old gaskets to see if you can see witness marks for any oil seeping/leaking. NEVER clean your old gaskets before checking them. You can learn alot from reading them.

Look at the old gaskets in the area where the oil was leaking and see if you can see where the oil was leaking through the gasket and leaving marks...

Did you put any type of sealer on the two center bolt thread the carb on each side? Oil can wick up the threads and puddle on the intake under those bolts. The two bolts in the center of the intake on each side of the carb...

I'll use the gaskacinch and goop the intake bolts. I couldn't see a defined oil path from or under the gasket?
There seems to be possibly the lightest of film of oil under the gasket? I can see visual oiliness to the intake port and when I wipe my finger in there it pulls out just the lightest of film its not like dripping wet with oil?
of course my biggest fear is it coming from the valve itself or the valve seal I mean?
I did read tighten the bolts after the car heat cycled, but I can say I haven't checked them since and they didn't seem overly tight when I took them off thats for sure.
View attachment 20150527_205822-1.jpg

I use Permatex Ultra- Seal exclusively. I make sure the film of it is massaged into and sticks to the clean, oil free metal surface I am trying to prevent leaks from. I try to assemble the parts as soon as possible, while it is still "wet". Less is more around most parts.

I've had great results with this and it is much easier to take off than Gaskasinch.

That much oil in one port, when all the others are dry, indicates a problem other than the gasket. It would be a guide, ring, or crack issue with the head. That's not an intake gasket. Is the plug also oiled up?

That much oil in one port, when all the others are dry, indicates a problem other than the gasket. It would be a guide, ring, or crack issue with the head. That's not an intake gasket. Is the plug also oiled up?

The plug was noticeably darker but not oily

Head-ache!!!!!!

We're the heads milled and trued?
You questioned the valve seal. A Prior issue there or cause of concern?

Head-ache!!!!!!

We're the heads milled and trued?
You questioned the valve seal. A Prior issue there or cause of concern?
freshly milled heads brand new Springs, valve guides, seats, retainers, and seals.this is what was bringing questions (in my mind) to mopers evaluation. I said nothing because many times I get accused of arguing with the professionals out here so I still I'm not sure. I just used krazykuda idea sealing everything up and going from there? I'm not saying moper is wrong or anything like that, I just don't have any way of proving him right without? I don't know taking the whole motor apart again?

A) moper is not a professional. I might be better than some, but I earn my mortgage money wayyyy out of any automotive industry.
B) tech posts are all about respectful debate (if and when possible...lol).
C) argue and disagree all you want. You have the problem and ultimately the solution in your garage. Closest I come to your problem is an old HP laptop in my living room.

Last comment - new doesn't mean good. I know you like the way it runs, but the fact it ate its dipstick tells me there could potentially be other issues the builder overlooked.

A) moper is not a professional. I might be better than some, but I earn my mortgage money wayyyy out of any automotive industry.
B) tech posts are all about respectful debate (if and when possible...lol).
C) argue and disagree all you want. You have the problem and ultimately the solution in your garage. Closest I come to your problem is an old HP laptop in my living room.

Last comment - new doesn't mean good. I know you like the way it runs, but the fact it ate its dipstick tells me there could potentially be other issues the builder overlooked.
I'm not arguing or disagreeing at all! I'm just starting with the easiest fixes first like sealing the intake and all that to make sure it's not something I did. definitely the first thing I learned in auto shop in high school was just because it's new doesn't mean it works. I appreciate your laptop diagnostics and I will probably go with taking the head off if the cylinder continues to be oily or the plug shows darkness. I'm not sure but the other number two plug up front was a little dark also but the head port was not oily like the number one. I do have dual quads and the rear carburetor is the main carburetor and the front one kicks in at about one-third throttle it's is opened up for idle, if that makes any difference. and again I appreciate any ideas about what's going on and totally understand it's not in your garage to look at and worried about.

Take a clear photo with a good camera, it appears by looking at the pic you posted you have a valve guide issue on that cylinder.

Take a clear photo with a good camera, it appears by looking at the pic you posted you have a valve guide issue on that cylinder.
it's too late for that. I sealed that thing back up yesterday morning before even moper chimed in about cracks and valve guides and pulling the head. I just went with krazykuda and seal it up real good and let it dry thru today and going to fire it up tomorrow. again I'll check if it gets wet again by looking at the plugs. like I was saying let's just go with the easy fix first before we start tearing the motor apart again especially after I just sealed it up with a $25 intake gasket $6.00 jar of gaskacinch - $36.00 carbon exhaust manifold gasket for $20 Milodon oil pan gasket 8 quarts @ $7.75 ($61)Penn grade oil and another 7 bucks for an oil filter. Oh ya and $20 for "the right stuff" gasket. (which is a real pain in the butt to get off, but seals good) Let's try that before we go ripping the heads off for good lord knows how much? keep that cyber spending down to a minimum.

What caused you to find the oil in the first place? Do you have a way to check to see if the port is dry now or are you counting on inspecting the plug(s)?

What caused you to find the oil in the first place? Do you have a way to check to see if the port is dry now or are you counting on inspecting the plug(s)?
this thread is a continuation of "my hungry new stroker".hence "crap what next"? I just had kind of change the subject so I started a new thread and the subject got changed when I noticed the oily intake port. I had no previous indication as the car seemed to run extremely well and there was no smoke or indication of said problem. I mean I have had the dark plug here and there but it really wasn't extreme by any measure. I don't think I have 500 miles on the fresh rebuild and maybe just over a dozen passes at the track. I really was hoping to have it together today and tested as I have my second points race tomorrow and was hoping to make it. it's the first time I've ever done any officially drag racing and I would be disappointed to think I'm already missing the second race. now it's a small 6 race series over the summer just to get my feet wet and get acquainted with racing. I almost feel a bit of an obligation to the other members of the small "hole in the hood" series. I can take the 2 carburetors off together on the top plentem and look straight down the runners at the valves through the tunnel ram.

-
Back