Crime and cost of living in your area.

-
Exactly. You need to be away from I-5. And any major freeway. I’m pretty close to I-82. Closer than I want to be.
That's why we love it out here. 25 miles to the nearest interstate.

Guessing that North Dakota area is not anywhere close to Williston. Prices of everything rocketed upwards to crazy levels during the Fracking Boom.

Price of R/E in general. The further from city jobs, the cheaper. Corn belt land IS nuts. Availability is a large part of the price deal.
Price of rural land in say Missouri is 25 cents on the dollar compared to Texas. Location. Wages are probably half also.

Crime? In rural counties with real law, mostly petty dope dealers and petty thieves. I doubt you will ever go anywhere that has NO crime. Conservative politics is a tip off. In rural counties where 99% of home are armed and loaded, pickups are armed and the law says protect your life AND property, the thieving crooks are nervous. Dopers are anywhere.

Here's the level of law enforcement dedication we have in Gray, Georgia and Jones County. This is when Deputy John Kyle was shot point blank in the chest, but continued his pursuit. Thank God he was wearing his vest. Watch to the end. That's my best friend and brother from another mother, Gray police officer Terius Farley who makes first contact with the perp at the end of the video. It's been edited, as Farley "made sure" the perp was subdued, if you know what I mean. lol We love these guys and they are all local heroes.

Last edited:
Price of R/E in general. The further from city jobs, the cheaper. Corn belt land IS nuts. Availability is a large part of the price deal.
Price of rural land in say Missouri is 25 cents on the dollar compared to Texas. Location. Wages are probably half also.

Crime? In rural counties with real law, mostly petty dope dealers and petty thieves. I doubt you will ever go anywhere that has NO crime. Conservative politics is a tip off. In rural counties where 99% of home are armed and loaded, pickups are armed and the law says protect your life AND property, the thieving crooks are nervous. Dopers are anywhere.
You ain't lying. I've been to several areas that 30 years ago were just pot and beer rednecks. Now it's meth and smack/ whatever. Sad because I used to live in some of these small towns. Now there is a new generation of junkies there. Meaning theft, and other criminals

Tell you another story. We hit a deer in Kitty's 02 Corolla we had several years ago out here. Common occurrence out here. The car was not driveable and we had my then young son and Kitty's very young grandson in the car. I called it into the Sheriff's dept and turned around and called my friend who owns a wrecker service out here. Deputy got there in less than five minutes. He wrote the report up and then proceeded removing Kitty's grandson's car seat. I asked him what he was doing and he said "we gotta get yall home". He piled all four of us into his patrol car and took us home. I made a friend that day. Still buy him lunch sometimes when we see him around. They don't have to do that, but there's not a one of them that wouldn't.

Tell you another story. We hit a deer in Kitty's 02 Corolla we had several years ago out here. Common occurrence out here. The car was not driveable and we had my then young son and Kitty's very young grandson in the car. I called it into the Sheriff's dept and turned around and called my friend who owns a wrecker service out here. Deputy got there in less than five minutes. He wrote the report up and then proceeded removing Kitty's grandson's car seat. I asked him what he was doing and he said "we gotta get yall home". He piled all four of us into his patrol car and took us home. I made a friend that day. Still buy him lunch sometimes when we see him around. They don't have to do that, but there's not a one of them that wouldn't.
That was really cool of him. No, they don't have to act as personal transport. But, he gives True Meaning to Public Servant

That was really cool of him. No, they don't have to act as personal transport. But, he gives True Meaning to Public Servant
They are all like that here whether Gray police or Jones county Sheriff's dept.

Sadly, here in Utah the house pricing situation is not much better than your location unfortunately. And yeah SLC is starting to get really bad with the homeless population and it was already kind of bad to begin with.
I live further up north near Hill AFB and sadly some of the transient zombies are starting to creep up north, especially in parts around Clearfield and Ogden.
People in my neighborhood being somewhat rural were so used to keeping their car doors unlocked overnight, one guy in our community had an incident with some random tweaker going into his garage. (Likely from Ogden)
He used the wireless garage door opener in his unlocked car.
Problem was he messed with the wrong house, the homeowner being a retired service member like myself made a statement by racking his AR15. "That's the only and last warning you get!" he told the guy.
Good thing he was a smart tweaker, he bolted out of the garage and got on his bicycle.
And he's not the only one in the community with an AR :).
However, lately our average house prices have dropped about an average of 20% in the past 2 months, and Idaho does have a little cheaper property from what I looked at. (believe me I've been looking).

I live in Charleston, SC. Real estate is expensive, but everything else is normal. Unlike where you live, I lived in DuPont, I ran from that area as quick as I could. Lived in Washington three times, I don’t recognize that shithole anymore. I am referencing on the left side of the mountains. You can’t go 25 feet without seeing a help wanted sign here, including the post office.

I know you wanted to keep politics out of it, but if you are thinking safety, among other things, you must think about it.

^^^ The talking heads (economists) say that R/E makes up 41% of the inflation rate. Your home is most people's largest asset. The main thing people that are working age look at as to where to live is income and cost of homes.
I have always looked at quality of life. The income is less where the cost of r/e is less an cost of living is less. Ok I can deal with that the $ has never been my driving point.
If you have kids, look at quality of education.
If you are a pussy, look at weather!

Minnesota is good outside the cities

445703.png

Last edited:
I have been in north Texas my whole life… Don’t come here. House prices and property taxes are both outrageous.
Oklahoma, Arkansas, north & South Carolina, Alabama would be where I would be looking… I Have friends or family in all those states and talking to them about crime and cost of living They all sound better than here

I have been in north Texas my whole life… Don’t come here. House prices and property taxes are both outrageous.
Oklahoma, Arkansas, north & South Carolina, Alabama would be where I would be looking… I Have friends or family in all those states and talking to them about crime and cost of living They all sound better than here

Partly because you live the the friggin city!!!! We live in the Tx. sticks, with homestead exemption and ag exemption and being over 65 prop. taxe are plenty low. Way lower back in good ole Missouri....but...

My wife is from Texas, and my oldest was born there. We both have family there. I can’t live in Texas, too damn hot and humid. I love to visit though, and some of the best food(not just BBQ) in the world.

She is from the Suburbs of Austin, it’s called Round Rock. It’s California prices now, and the crime has skyrocketed. 2 people very close to me have been attacked by homeless people within the past year. Remember this is not in Austin! Round Rock is in Williamson County, notoriously conservative.

My wife is from Texas, and my oldest was born there. We both have family there. I can’t live in Texas, too damn hot and humid. I love to visit though, and some of the best food(not just BBQ) in the world.

She is from the Suburbs of Austin, it’s called Round Rock. It’s California prices now, and the crime has skyrocketed. 2 people very close to me have been attacked by homeless people within the past year. Remember this is not in Austin! Round Rock is in Williamson County, notoriously conservative.

Yes Round Rock is a burb of Austin. Expensive. Left wing at its finest. Not a political statement, just fact. Austin is where all the W. Coast folk move to.

If you hate heat and humidity, I guess Co.or Id. is where you will survive.

It was just mentioned Al., Carolinas. etc. NO way if you hate humidity.

Some of the hottest temps every year are in N. Ca. I guess you are from the cooler areas.

Yes Round Rock is a burb of Austin. Expensive. Left wing at its finest. Not a political statement, just fact. Austin is where all the W. Coast folk move to.

Some of the hottest temps every year are in N. Ca. I guess you are from the cooler areas.
I’m from San Diego

I am in Pa. I would say stay out of the east coast. Its just too crowded. I live in the burbs but 40 minutes away you are in town ,20 minutes the other direction you are in another town, nuts everywhere, don't get into road rage incidents etc. you never know when you'll run into an a hole etc. aggressive drivers everywhere ignorant people just about everywhere, but you learn where to stay away from.. and to CCW :) You can get a decent house for 200-300K a small house with 1/4 acre for 150-175K etc.

Hey ! Don’t you be sending more people this way ! …lol
besides havent you been watching the news ? 4 students murdered in their sleep …

woman and new hubby kill her children then bury them in backyard and flee to Hawaii ( also suspected of killing both ex spouses and her brother) .

Missing 5 year old boys body found buried in neighbors back yard.
Plenty of crime in Idaho …..

Housing is outrageous ! Even in little remote towns . Pay is getting better now . You might even make $20/hr if you look hard .

Move up to Canada, you mentioned you have family here. And I can guarantee you that you and your bride will feel completely safe in 90% of this country. Real estate anywhere is pricey, but gonna crash soon(fingers crossed lol)

I'd probably be looking at Tri-cities Washington area for somewhere close.... But it's getting spendy there too. Unless you want to go east (realtive to the NW)- Missourri, Ohio, Arkansas. I don't know how the job market is there but land is cheap.
You'll have to pass on Idaho Utah Colorado if you want to buy a decent house in a decent 'burb for under $500K.

Do a zillow search via map view and set an upper limit and zoom way out. You'll get a good idea of where to research...

Oh you might check out Detroit too ;)

Here's what the USA looks like at $300K and lower for a house. Crazy eh?

Looks like that didn't work...anyway it's all out east.

-
Back