Cut Off Switch Location

-

dart4forte

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am starting on the wiring for my trunk mounted battery on the 64 Dart. I need some ideas on where tio mount the switch. I'll be running the cables inside

Needs to be mounted on the rear of the vehicle, somewhere visible, and easily accessible. Clearly marked for on and off. Here is a simple wiring diagram. Be sure to use a relay.

trunkbattwire3.jpg

Needs to be mounted on the rear of the vehicle, somewhere visible, and easily accessible. Clearly marked for on and off. Here is a simple wiring diagram. Be sure to use a relay.

Thanks, I know how to wire up the set-up I just need to see some ideas on where to mount the switch. Not many places available on a 64 Dart.

Sorry, guess I misundersood.
Your right, not a lot of room back there,
Thought about mounting it in the bumper?

I saw one that was mounted through the tail light lens. It used a door lock ferrule as a little trim piece. It looked good.

X2 on thru the tail light lens. Figure it's cheaper to replace the lens that fix a hole in the body later.

Sorry, guess I misundersood.
Your right, not a lot of room back there,
Thought about mounting it in the bumper?

That's okay, I wasn't entirely clear. It's a street/strip car so the tail light lense is out and anyway the 64 TL lenses are pretty spendy used and around $350 a pair rebopped. I was looking at mounting a plate to the bumper bracket bolt at the bumper. I just hate to have things hanging down. NHRA rules specify that the switch is to be at the furthest most end of the car. Even though this is a street/strip car the techs will zoom in on this car with all the mods that have been made.

Can you put it through one of the holes in the bumper ? We took one of the bumper bolts out of my buddys Road Runner and mounted the cut off switch through the bumper bolt hole.

You don't go through the light bulb socket hole. You drill a small hole in the side of the cast bucket, and run the rod through the hole to where it meets the lens, then drill a small hole there. The tail light still works fine. The car I saw was a street/strip car as well. The switch knob was on the very outside of the lens, and didn't interfere with anything. See if you can get a bicket in fair shape, and keep your nice one, and look for an equally less than stellar lens.

You don't go through the light bulb socket hole. You drill a small hole in the side of the cast bucket, and run the rod through the hole to where it meets the lens, then drill a small hole there. The tail light still works fine. The car I saw was a street/strip car as well. The switch knob was on the very outside of the lens, and didn't interfere with anything. See if you can get a bicket in fair shape, and keep your nice one, and look for an equally less than stellar lens.

I can't quite picture that set-up. Anyone have a picture?

I'm thinking of putting one behind the license plate on my Dart. That way when it's in street trim it won't be visible because I'll have the plate on.

I'm thinking of putting one behind the license plate on my Dart. That way when it's in street trim it won't be visible because I'll have the plate on.

Now that is a very good idea. Good thinking. Do you think it will pass teck like that? I have been trying to find a place to put one on my 70 Dart but it is hard because of the tail lights in the bumper and the rear valince in the way.

On my '65 Dart, I went through the top of the bumper (strip only car). On my '65 Coronet street car, I went through the backup light lens. Having it behind the license plate may be an idea. You could have the plate secured in the down position at the track. Might be a concern having it so close to the gas tank fill though.
Attached is the race Dart's kill switch. Complies with the rules, but if you have a nice bumper, I wouldn't drill it.

1965Dart rear.jpg

what if you put it where the tag light is? or maby do the opposite on one side. like if the light is directly to the left of the tag put the switch directly on the right then it wouldnt be noiced as much. i cant remember where the tag light is tho lol

On my 64 I mounted it on the angled piece behind the bumper.In the trunk it's the part that the truck latch and taillight wires run along. You can't see it from behind, part security system too!!! When I race they(nhra tech) make me put a piece of tape on the bumper to mark the location... This is assuming you're not using a push/pull set up...

Bob

On my 64 I mounted it on the angled piece behind the bumper.In the trunk it's the part that the truck latch and taillight wires run along. You can't see it from behind, part security system too!!! When I race they(nhra tech) make me put a piece of tape on the bumper to mark the location... This is assuming you're not using a push/pull set up...

Bob

Do you have a picture?

I like the bumper bolt idea. You may have to make an extension for the mounting stud of the switch. That way you can still secure the bumper to the bumper bracket. I imagine that would be an easy mod after all you have done to this car.

I like the bumper bolt idea. You may have to make an extension for the mounting stud of the switch. That way you can still secure the bumper to the bumper bracket. I imagine that would be an easy mod after all you have done to this car.

Thats the direction I am leaning. I have some metal stock laying around so i can probably take the plasma cutter and cut out a piece. i just don't know if the bold is long enough. given that this car is a 170 there are no back-up lenses. That would be an easy mod.

Thats the direction I am leaning. I have some metal stock laying around so i can probably take the plasma cutter and cut out a piece. i just don't know if the bold is long enough. given that this car is a 170 there are no back-up lenses. That would be an easy mod.

I am leaning towards the back up lens. My car is a 270 and has them, And to boot, one of my housings is bad.........

Be sure to mount it on the right side to comply with the rule book.

-
Back