Dads Barracuda

-

69conv

error 401
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
About 8 years ago my Dad had to sell his 69 convertible. I asked the buyer if he ever wanted to sell it to please give me a call. Sadly, my Dad passes away 4 years ago. Well about 6 weeks ago I got this phone call and flew to florida. Now my Dads car is in my polebarn awaiting restoration. It has a pretty solid body but the interior and mechanics are badly in need of help. I've already received some great information and some parts form fellow fabo members, but boy is there a long way to go.
jpg.gif
jpg.gif
jpg.gif

Attachments

• 014a.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 1,821
  • 003a.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 1,809
  • 004b.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 1,815
Thank you for sharing your story.Sorry to hear about your Dad passing away.It's good that your Dad's car is home and that you will have it to share your memories with others.

Thanks project 65. My oldest son is in the airforce and I'm keeping him posted on the progress. He says he has a lot of guys looking over his shoulder.

Glad you were able to bring your Dad's Barracuda home.

By the way I think the green/saddle combination is beautiful and you hardly ever see it on a-bodies.

Thanks goldfish65. The car was a med brown when my Dad had it and the last owner said he repainted it a new Plymouth color. It looks almost black til the sun hits it.

That is awesome, not many guy's get a car back after it's gone, and it's even more special when it's Dad's old car! Good luck and enjoy that car just like your dad once did.

Jeff

Thanks jtkaaa07. He was a true mopar fan, owned 7 68 300's and a variety of other mopars. Makes me feel good just working on it.

You are truly blessed to be able to share in your dads memories, both of him and now of his car!! Merry Christmas, and may you enjoy every minute of bring your car back to the roads to enjoy in memory of him!! Geof

thanks cosgig. He's the guy got me started in mopars and hotrodding back in the 70's. Hope you are making it through our nasty Michigan winter OK.

Sorry for the loss of your father but rest assured he is looking down on you and his car with a huge A body smile on his face!!!!! Hope you weather the winter as well. Hoping to get to the garage to work on my Duster sometime this week!

Wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas!

Yeah, sorry about your dad.. but awesome car, he had good taste. Best in the resto!

I really appreciate the positive comments. This is a challenging build for me because I was wrestling with keeping the original 318 2bbl and drive line or pepping it up a bit. The original motor still uses leaded gas and the previous owner wasn't careful. Has broken teeth on the flywheel, exhaust leak and someone put the door panels on with sheet metal screws, among other things.

I think it's great that you were able to get your dad's old car back. He's looking down on you and smiling from ear to ear.

69Conv-

These are the stories that make the world go around. As much as I love classic cars, I love even deeper the stories behind the cars. Whatever you struggle with as far as what to do with the car, trust that what you decide is right. Your dad will be proud whatever you decide. Very cool story - thank you for sharing.

Great story, man. I hope you stick with it and keep that car in the family - they carry way more meaning that way. I'm doing a car that was passed from original owner to grandson upon his passing but the grandson wasn't too into it so now it's in my hands but it's not the same as if it had been MY granddad's car. Just sayin'. And I would keep the original motor - two cents, that's all. Best of luck!

My condolences and a great story! May I ask where in Florida it was, I know of someone whom had one like that same color and top, have not seen him in quite a while now just wondering if it's possibly the same car.

lou3500 there's every possibility its the same car. It was in Holiday fl which is just a little north of you. I can't believe the odds but I guess I shouldn't be suprised, there's mopar fans everywhere. I have to say I was on another website with my last build and the number of responses and well wishes on FABO is simply overwhelming. Thanks one and all.

Teeth and Tire you may not know this but you've helped me deceide on my goal for this car. I have a big block dart (the one in the avatar)which I'm planning on going to my son in law when I'm done with it because he is mechanically inclined (bus mechanic) although sadly misguided with brand x. What I want to do is build this car to give the Dart a run for its money and see it go to my oldest son. He loves old cars although being in the service doesn't allow him to enjoy one yet. I can invision them have fun together later and continuing the big block/ small block debate.

Great story, which makes getting the car back in the family more meaningful. All the best in the resto! Make sure to keep us updated. With the 318 2bbl, lots you could do to pep it up a bit.
By the way Im assuming it's not a true "S"? As its a 318 car??
Merry Christmas!

No the previous owner put the S badges on. Its a 318 2bbl 904 7 1/4 so it will take a little to keep up with the dart, so I found a 90 roller cam 360 and I'm rollin up my sleeves.

Being in the service does make things tough at times. I got 25 yrs of experience with that so coming across my red Barracuda nary a year after retiring was just perfect. Keep up with the updates! People here love a good build story. Hopefully, we can all meet with our finished cars at an event sometime soon!

T&T

1990 la 360 from a tow truck 85k miles $300

Accessories removed and ready to degrease

Attachments

• engine2.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 1,472
  • engine3.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 1,467
lou3500 there's every possibility its the same car. It was in Holiday fl which is just a little north of you. I can't believe the odds but I guess I shouldn't be suprised, there's mopar fans everywhere. I have to say I was on another website with my last build and the number of responses and well wishes on FABO is simply overwhelming. Thanks one and all.

I'm certain it's the same car the guy I know is older late 60s to early 70s kinda chubby balding hair his wife was also around same age, always had grand kids around when I saw them. Not sure where they lived but it was in my area. I'm thinking one of them had some health issues.

You described him to a tee! He was having some heart problems and I think it gave him some comfort to see the car go to someone who would take care of it.

-
Back