Damsel in distress

-
So Damsel, keep us posted on your car's progress. And keep on wrenchin. If you get someone to swap the engine, get out there with them and watch and help. its a good learning experience and eventually you will be rebuilding engines yourself, but you have to start somewhere. swapping one out is a good place to start.

2 x that! What little I understand about these things I learned that way. The only way I guess.

Mollysmom64, I've been reading this thread and just wanted to say " I take my hat off to you". To attempt to do what you have done has been a learning experience for you, we've all been there. Remember the only thing that is a mistake is something you haven't learned from. Sounds like you have a handle on things now (With the help of the FABO family). Wishing you nothing but the best as you move forward with this project. Keep us posted , and once Molly comes to life again it will be a feeling you will never forget!! :)
^x2 Good for you and for Molly!

Ya know... I've been back on this site for several months now after about a 2 year hiatus... just the other day I was thinking.. hmmmm what the heck ever happened to the "good" threads on that site... Well... I think I found it :)

Couldn't this still be a dropped valve? Or a timing chain jumped or broken? I don't see where the valve cover was pulled to inspect, did I miss that?

IMO pulling a head for reman or replacement and/or replacing a timing set would be easier than an engine swap.

Couldn't this still be a dropped valve? Or a timing chain jumped or broken? I don't see where the valve cover was pulled to inspect, did I miss that?

IMO pulling a head for reman or replacement and/or replacing a timing set would be easier than an engine swap.

I think I threw a "Compression test" recommendation also. Who knows how they troubleshot it. But I agree, pulling an engine gets costly without some pinpoint testing first.

I think I threw a "Compression test" recommendation also. Who knows how they troubleshot it. But I agree, pulling an engine gets costly without some pinpoint testing first.

Sure, and if the engine sat for a bunch of years it would be a good possibility that a valve stuck open, piston ran into it, and it could be either bent or broken causing the engine to bind when the piston runs back into it.

If it was mine I would be at least pulling the valve cover off for inspection before looking for another engine.

at some point (I don't recall if it was in the thread or a PM) I suggested that she pull the valvecover and look at the valve train move as she rotates the crank

but

I will let the people who were there and actually had hands and eyes on this engine call the shots

Bowtiehunter said engine has internal issues-- suggests she get a replacement motor-- I have not been over to view --scheduling is a difficult issue.
She is looking for an engine -- as we all know CL purchase is interesting at best-- (just look at this thread how sideways it got)

she is not sure about getting to memike --but says the next 2 weeks are taken for prior commitments--
It would be nice to stay on topic instead of these non-helpful comments
she is going from a 170 to a 225, she has a 3 speed manual.
what should be changed & do not say put a v-8 in it
Items to check:
Motor mounts
crank for manual tranny
clutch assembly
exhaust height difference
radiator hoses?
column bearings for column shifting operation
.. thanks Lawrence

Wish I was retired. I would throw my cherry picker in the truck, go pick up Memike's free engine, and head to Wichita. If a couple close by members would show up to help, we could probably swap them out pretty quick. One thing I am looking forward to when I retire, God willing and my health holds, is helping people.

Bowtiehunter said engine has internal issues-- suggests she get a replacement motor-- I have not been over to view --scheduling is a difficult issue.
She is looking for an engine -- as we all know CL purchase is interesting at best-- (just look at this thread how sideways it got)

she is not sure about getting to memike --but says the next 2 weeks are taken for prior commitments--
It would be nice to stay on topic instead of these non-helpful comments
she is going from a 170 to a 225, she has a 3 speed manual.
what should be changed & do not say put a v-8 in it
Items to check:
Motor mounts
crank for manual tranny
clutch assembly
exhaust height difference
radiator hoses?
column bearings for column shifting operation
.. thanks Lawrence

Memike said his engine was a 170 with a manual trans so it should bolt right in.

Memike said his engine was a 170 with a manual trans so it should bolt right in.

That's the way I would go since she has a 170/3 speed. The biggest deal about going from a 170 to a 225 is the head pipe is too short to be a bolt in. Everything else would be the same.

And BTW Mollysmom....you might be a girllll lol...but you're one of us when you've blown up your first Slant six:D

How about trying to start it in neutral?? The neutral safety switch may be keeping it from cranking over, or it may be plugged into the wrong terminal on the relay!! It would not effect the lights and such, that sounds like a no ground or fusible link gone bad!! Damn I wish I was closer to come by and help!!

Memike offered his 170ci slant 6 on page 3, how close are you to Jonesboro, AR?? He is about 50 miles from Memphis so he must be at the top of the state! His was a good running combo only pulled for a V8 swap!!
I'm about 8 hours away....or I'd already have picked it up... trying to find a way as I work 64 hrs a week... He's keeping it ready for me... thank god :)

-
Back