David Vizard, Uncle Tony's garage, Unity motorsport. Mission impossible Dodge 302 Head porting

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep saying the same thing use the CFM the engine gets.
True it takes a certain amount of fuel and air in a somewhat narrow range to make say 318 hp a efficient engine will have to displace little less and inefficient engine will have to displace a little more.

Like the carb the engine will displace a similar amount of air through the 2bbl as it will with a large 4bbl.

Did you forget you said this:

What does that have to do with the facts presented?
Yes, I did ask that question. It's an attempt to separate the creme from the curds. Credibility. Should we accept the "facts" just because someone on the internet says so? There is a difference between having been there and done that, and reading and repeating.

Once again, I haven't disputed the "facts". I too like to learn and to learn you have to step out of the box. Vizard is a sharp character, I don't think anyone here has questioned that. Tony on the other hand is a hack and has proven it over and over. They can do whatever they want, and it has no bearing on me, my opinion is irrelevant to their motives or goals. The inverse is also true, we live in a wonderful country.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Good night guys, I hope everyone has had a wonderful Christmas.

Well at least this build is helping Charles Servedio channel and DV has gain a 1000 subscribers in a couple of days.

320 cfm @ .500 and a cam [email protected] and .615 lift with 451 ci.
320 cfm is somewhat an arbitrary rating like carb ratings, a 451 would have to spin 20,000 rpm's to displace 320 cfm per cylinder, your engine would be displacing around 650 cfm all together at 5000 rpm.

320 cfm x 8 cylinders = 2560 cfm
451 cid x 20,000 rpm = 2610 cfm

Last edited:
320 cfm is somewhat an arbitrary rating like carb ratings, a 451 would have to spin 20,000 rpm's to displace 320 cfm per cylinder, your engine would be displacing around 650 cfm all together at 5000 rpm.
but it can't the intake will only move 290 cfm.

Ok gave my Thoughts, at the first of this thread, ready to give a few more.:lol:

So, it was surprising, for me, that when he tried a 50 degree seat, how it flowed. I figured the 50 Degree seat would allow more cfm for the same valve size.....and it did! But exactly the OPPOSITE of what i thought it would do. Gained low lift flow and lost upper lift flow. I realize that the head has been ported in the bowl area before he started and, maybe it can't be shaped to support that valve angle. Still not what i expected of the 50 degree seat.
I think the 318 head is a much better for this project. NOW HOLD ON, don't be jumping on that high horse just yet(couldn't stop you if i wanted to any ways)
Yes 318 over 360 head, and here is why(just my lack of "experience" opinion) OK so air speed is really more important then cfm, to me. You get to much, you get turbulence(I'm not taking swirl) you get to little and you get fuel drop out. So, yes you can easily easily port a 360 head and get more flow with less turbulence. you can get 240 cfm easy there are many who can get much more then that.
Now, no one has flow tested that little two barrel manifold..........just to make my point, lets say that manifold flows 120 cfm and they get it ported out to 190 cfm(just throwing numbers in the air).
OK Now, What do you think is going to happen to the air speed that will be traveling, way to fast in the intake manifold, then slows to a crawl when it hits the 240+ capable head........Its not going to magically speed up to 240!!!!! is going to slow way down, and the fuel is going to drop out and just run down the floor of the port. end up in the combustion chamber as un burnt liquid)May get burnt but way past the Power stroke.
What make the most HP, is the most air and fuel that you can jam in to a cyl that is burnable on the power stroke. Liquid fuel is NOT THAT!!!!!
And i haven't even talked about what that tiny teen carb is going to do to the air speed/flow.

I now return you to your regular scheduled program.................................................

If you search anything mopar related, fabo is one of the first things that comes up. I'm absolutely certain that these guys know about this forum.

Anyhow, I'm only saying what I would think about doing. The Magnum heads could easily hit the 318hp with zero modifications, and would actually be considered a stock head. I'll repeat it again, if you are having your heads ported by DAVID VIZARD, it's NOT something the AVERAGE NORMAL GUY is going to be able to afford or reproduce. If you send ANY HEADS to DV (or any reputable head porter) for porting, it's going to cost $$$. More than a set of OOTB edelbrocks. At which point, to be honest, it's a stupid *** exercise.
Maybe DV is showing us why not to use these heads. If HE can’t make them work nobody can.

I don’t understand why Charlie is wasting his time dicking around looking for a few cfm........... he should be testing what he’s got with the 318 manifold attached....... which could easily knock the flow numbers down 40+ cfm.

That’s going to be the real cork in that build.
Be interesting to see if adding the carb to the manifold during a flow test shows even more of a restriction.

So, it was surprising, for me, that when he tried a 50 degree seat, how it flowed. I figured the 50 Degree seat would allow more cfm for the same valve size.....

Where did he say he tested a 50* seat on that 302 head?

This thread is about what David Vizard is doing with some shitty tiny heads like those in that previous post that only have a 145 cc port. David's not average nor are those guys. I'm not interested in what the average guy does as that would be an argument for mediocrity. If you are not trying to better yourself everyday than you've made your choice.

What I build and what I race has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with this thread. Facts are facts and engines can be built to make over 2 HP per CFM of airflow that they receive.

That’s all good and fine except DV isnt doing the heads.

At least be factual.

Ok gave my Thoughts, at the first of this thread, ready to give a few more.:lol:

So, it was surprising, for me, that when he tried a 50 degree seat, how it flowed. I figured the 50 Degree seat would allow more cfm for the same valve size.....and it did! But exactly the OPPOSITE of what i thought it would do. Gained low lift flow and lost upper lift flow. I realize that the head has been ported in the bowl area before he started and, maybe it can't be shaped to support that valve angle. Still not what i expected of the 50 degree seat.
I think the 318 head is a much better for this project. NOW HOLD ON, don't be jumping on that high horse just yet(couldn't stop you if i wanted to any ways)
Yes 318 over 360 head, and here is why(just my lack of "experience" opinion) OK so air speed is really more important then cfm, to me. You get to much, you get turbulence(I'm not taking swirl) you get to little and you get fuel drop out. So, yes you can easily easily port a 360 head and get more flow with less turbulence. you can get 240 cfm easy there are many who can get much more then that.
Now, no one has flow tested that little two barrel manifold..........just to make my point, lets say that manifold flows 120 cfm and they get it ported out to 190 cfm(just throwing numbers in the air).
OK Now, What do you think is going to happen to the air speed that will be traveling, way to fast in the intake manifold, then slows to a crawl when it hits the 240+ capable head........Its not going to magically speed up to 240!!!!! is going to slow way down, and the fuel is going to drop out and just run down the floor of the port. end up in the combustion chamber as un burnt liquid)May get burnt but way past the Power stroke.
What make the most HP, is the most air and fuel that you can jam in to a cyl that is burnable on the power stroke. Liquid fuel is NOT THAT!!!!!
And i haven't even talked about what that tiny teen carb is going to do to the air speed/flow.

I now return you to your regular scheduled program.................................................

There is a reason why Servedio got the results he did with his 50 seats.

Go read the comments on the video and you’ll find the answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back