Distributor to engine install HELP!

-

'72Duster318

Reaction score
318 4bbl. I had the engine running,really rough. pulled the intake and dist., andrebuilt the carb. I thought i had it all marked. Put it all back together and now it sounds like I''m not getting spark. Engine will turn and turn, nothing. i know it's getting fuel. What is the easiest way to get my dist. roughly clocked correctly? Set the engine to #1 TDC and get the rotor pointing in that general direction? Thank you! :banghead:

set engine at no. 1 tdc firing...get rotor and no. 1 one on cap lined up...should at least fire

and make sure the distributor is hooked up....

Put an in-line spark indicator on #1 plug wire. To not waste your starter, remove distributor and spin by hand, w/ case grounded. We assume you know how to find TDC on the compression stroke (finger in spark plug hole, feel for pressure increasing).

What is the easiest way to get my dist. roughly clocked correctly? Set the engine to #1 TDC and get the rotor pointing in that general direction? Thank you!

On the compression stroke. Drop the dizzy in with the rotor pointing toward the driver side front intake bolt. That will get you in the ballpark.

Did you put the rotor in before you put the cap on. You wouldn't be the first to forget that.

If your distributor gear is not in the "standard position", find tdc with your finger in the hole method (LOL!).

Then find where the rotor points when #1 is at tdc. Now install the distributor cap and make the tower that the rotor points to for #1 cylinder. Then go around the distributor cap in the direction of rotation and follow the firing order 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. Then set the crank at about 10° advanced, and twist the distributor so the rotor is pointing to the #1 terminal and then try cranking her over.

If your distributor gear is not in the "standard position", find tdc with your finger in the hole method (LOL!).

Then find where the rotor points when #1 is at tdc. Now install the distributor cap and make the tower that the rotor points to for #1 cylinder. Then go around the distributor cap in the direction of rotation and follow the firing order 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. Then set the crank at about 10° advanced, and twist the distributor so the rotor is pointing to the #1 terminal and then try cranking her over.

You can be very helpful when you want!

THIS

Here's the thing..........the distributor drive gear may be wrong DOES NOT MATTER

There are different "indexing" of rotor ----to ---distributor shaft drive tang DOES NOT MATTER

The thing is, you "could" "close your eyes" and throw the thing 'in' there.

Then stick your finger in no1 hole. Rotate for compression. Bring the timing marks up to "before' TDC "where you want" the timing, IE 10-15 degrees TDC

LOOK where the rotor is pointing, making sure the vacuum can has "plenty" of movement

"TOSS" the no1 plug wire in wherever the rotor points.

START the engine

You can be very helpful when you want!

Yes, that's why I get all the 'thanks'...

But I do like to joke around and have some fun. You can't take life too seriously, you'll never get out of it alive.... O:)

Yes, that's why I get all the 'thanks'...

But I do like to joke around and have some fun. You can't take life too seriously, you'll never get out of it alive.... O:)

I figguuurrreee it like this. Nobody is payin' me squat to "work" here so................

I'm in the same boat... Just pulled my dizzy apart to free the adv. Weighs but after I put it back no start. Checked resistor, it ok. Read this post and found I was out 180. Fixed still no start....

I'm in the same boat... Just pulled my dizzy apart to free the adv. Weighs but after I put it back no start. Checked resistor, it ok. Read this post and found I was out 180. Fixed still no start....

What kind of distributor?

Mopar breakerless? Points? "Other" aftermarket?

Get the motor on Top Dead Center, and drop the distributor drive gear in like the diagram.
Then install the distributor, so the rotor faces the front left intake bolt.
If it fires and runs poopy, or doesnt fire at all, spin the dist 180.

Attachments

• 0900c1528007fac8.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 218
Get the motor on Top Dead Center, and drop the distributor drive gear in like the diagram.
Then install the distributor, so the rotor faces the front left intake bolt.
If it fires and runs poopy, or doesnt fire at all, spin the dist 180.

X2 do it the right way the next owner will THANK YOU..

-
Back