Do I need a choke?

-
I would say that a choke would absolutely help. No question. In my opinion, when it gets cold, you will have a lot of trouble starting it and keeping it running otherwise.
I would agree, but I'll add this. I don't think that's ALL of his problem. I have an electric choke in Vixen's carburetor, but it's not connected and I have adjusted locked open. I know we're in totally different climates, but 20 degrees or 100 degrees and she pops right off. Yeah it takes a minute or so for her to idle on cold weather, but spring, summer and fall, she's idling by herself by the time I back out in the driveway......about 20 seconds.

I would agree, but I'll add this. I don't think that's ALL of his problem. I have an electric choke in Vixen's carburetor, but it's not connected and I have adjusted locked open. I know we're in totally different climates, but 20 degrees or 100 degrees and she pops right off. Yeah it takes a minute or so for her to idle on cold weather, but spring, summer and fall, she's idling by herself by the time I back out in the driveway......about 20 seconds.
The biggest issue I've seen is when people disconnect their chokes and fuss about how hard the thing is to start. The issue comes down to the carb running really lean at normal running temp. If it's lean at temp, then how could it work properly if it is cold outside? Once again, comes down to properly tuning the carb.

The biggest issue I've seen is when people disconnect their chokes and fuss about how hard the thing is to start. The issue comes down to the carb running really lean at normal running temp. If it's lean at temp, then how could it work properly if it is cold outside? Once again, comes down to properly tuning the carb.
Correct. That in itself is one reason I prefer them "a little" fat. They always seem to run better.

The old saying????

“Lean is mean but fat is where it’s at!”

Sure! A little leaner than fat is lower but then again, it doesn’t hurt to be a hair fat. Works better with the choke on in winter vs a lean setting and a choke in winter. Just runs better.

Choke? what's a choke? lol
The first thing I always did was saw off the choke tower. lol

Looks to me your linkage to the carb is very sloppy ,may not be the problem but you may not be getting full carb .Just my thought

No choke is choke and puke wont run good until completely warmed up

-
Back