dodge demon blows trans during burnout at dragstrip fire and attitudes get in the way

-
Voom, voom, voom, voooooom. What a jerk of driver. And as far as the track crew that track is now on my do not go to track.

ya, but now it's all about lawsuits and "how to rebuild your demon in under $40,000"

It's definitely going to be about Lawyers. Once safety was disregarded and the car and owner were blatantly thrown to the wolves I think you could hear the checkbook opening. All track employees who put emotions ahead of safety would be terminated immediately....

JW

why do you guys think there was a fire ?
There was a red flash, that was when the tranny perforated itself.
The smoke from under the hood and around the front fender wells was from the hot tranny fluid hitting the exhaust manifolds. So maybe there was a slight potential for a fire, but tranny fluid is not exactly explosive.
Personally, I believe the track workers were screwing with the car owner by shooting all that fire retardant on it. That stuff is a pain to clean up.
One point here, when on the strip, the track starter, officials and direct workers are god. You do what they tell you to do immediately.

why do you guys think there was a fire ?
There was a red flash, that was when the tranny perforated itself.
The smoke from under the hood and around the front fender wells was from the hot tranny fluid hitting the exhaust manifolds. So maybe there was a slight potential for a fire, but tranny fluid is not exactly explosive.
Personally, I believe the track workers were screwing with the car owner by shooting all that fire retardant on it. That stuff is a pain to clean up.
One point here, when on the strip, the track starter, officials and direct workers are god. You do what they tell you to do immediately.
Uh, at 3:17 and a few other times, some pretty good sized flames are shooting out of the cowl area. There most certainly was a fire! Look at the burnt & melted parts at the end too.

I think the problem was raised voices taken wrongly as if there was an attitude problem.

I’m not taking a side here but when your working with the public, and you Perceive an attitude, you can get tired of this very quickly and just walk away and not give a **** what the people say or doing. When you work with the public, it’s super difficult thing. Those workers perceived an attitude from the guy and said **** him. I got a Tell ya, from dealing with the public for years, I don’t blame them at all because you just get tired of the ****. Again not defending them, or what’s right or wrong, just saying I understand when you’ve had enough, you just don’t give a ****.

Dam shame all around.

Track folks sucked and so did the driver he reminds me of the group in Carlisle at the Hotel. Larger than life and all knowing. Just an opinion! We did it different in the old days!

Always keep my own extinguisher in the car and handy. Would it have helped? It would not have not hurted for sure!

If you run a business where you deal with the public, you must be professional. When word gets out that you are a bad business to work with, you are set to lose a LOT of money. It costs the crew nothing to be polite, cool and professional. Yes, I know it's hot as can be out there on the tarmac, you can be dehydrated, have a headache from the sun, noise, and standing on your feet in that environment for hours. When your job is to deal with the public it is your responsibility to do your job to the best of your ability and stay polite in the face of rude people.

I cannot fault the driver at all, he is the one with a car that probably won't be covered by insurance since it's at the track. Expect him to be severely stressed and difficult to deal with when that huge pile of money has the potential to go up in flames. Don't jump down his throat because you think he may be rich, and can afford to lose it. It may be that he is a regular Bob Slob, and spent all his money on it. I see that he was wronged by the safety crew and by extension, the track owner. He may be out a Demon, but perhaps the good that could come out of this is that the track may end up with a new bald owner without a car.

Voom, voom, voom, voooooom. What a jerk of driver. And as far as the track crew that track is now on my do not go to track.
I dont think he was being a jerk at all I think he was in shock from what just happened and the official was being an ***! In mean he clearly said I wont shut off he was trying! You can even see him waving his arms like he didnt know what to do. After he got out of the car he was alot more calm and chill than most would have been if their 260k dollar car was burning and the crew said **** it let it burn! If that was my car I would have beat that guys ***!

I dont think he was being a jerk at all I think he was in shock from what just happened and the official was being an ***! In mean he clearly said I wont shut off he was trying! You can even see him waving his arms like he didnt know what to do. After he got out of the car he was alot more calm and chill than most would have been if their 260k dollar car was burning and the crew said **** it let it burn! If that was my car I would have beat that guys ***!

Fist off that was no way to do a proper burnout and for way to long. Don’t be such a girl and go over and raise your own hood. Wimpy wimpy wimpy.

If you run a business where you deal with the public, you must be professional. When word gets out that you are a bad business to work with, you are set to lose a LOT of money. It costs the crew nothing to be polite, cool and professional. Yes, I know it's hot as can be out there on the tarmac, you can be dehydrated, have a headache from the sun, noise, and standing on your feet in that environment for hours. When your job is to deal with the public it is your responsibility to do your job to the best of your ability and stay polite in the face of rude people.

I cannot fault the driver at all, he is the one with a car that probably won't be covered by insurance since it's at the track. Expect him to be severely stressed and difficult to deal with when that huge pile of money has the potential to go up in flames. Don't jump down his throat because you think he may be rich, and can afford to lose it. It may be that he is a regular Bob Slob, and spent all his money on it. I see that he was wronged by the safety crew and by extension, the track owner. He may be out a Demon, but perhaps the good that could come out of this is that the track may end up with a new bald owner without a car.

I do not give him full blame but he or the video person were not helping. Get out of the car quickly and let them know it will not turn off. Ask them to “please” put it out. To much jackjawing going on. Bad track and bad driver. All had attitudes!

Fist off that was no way to do a proper burnout and for way to long. Don’t be such a girl and go over and raise your own hood. Wimpy wimpy wimpy.
Well you may have a point on the burnout issue. But I didnt see that he did anything wrong for the crew to just stop working on the fire. They wasnt even trying to put it out. The first guy literally sprayed the ground haha

Driver was told to shut it down. Do as your told or suck it up. If you cant turn it off and you KNOW theres a fire, get the **** outta the car and let crew know.
I carry a fire extinguisher....what the hell is his excuse?
Oh that's right his name is Johnny....Johnny Blaze Dipshit.

It may be a hard deal to react to, but once I knew it would not turn off I think my next move would be to pop the hood. Hopefully the track crew have a cutter for the battery cable.

When my BEE went up on a country road that’s what I tried but had no way to kill the battery and no extinguisher. Never again!

Let’s see...
Read and understand all track rules that apply...check
Paid the 30 bucks for head to head race night...check
Signed the waiver....check
Implied understanding of rules....check
Had good tech inspection...check
Extended burnout....check
Tranny leak...car on fire...check
Unable to secure running...check
Berate track personnel...check
Finally secure running....check
Watch as car burns...check
Blame track personnel...check

I went back and watched the video again,
Still never saw flames like the car was going to burn ‘down’.
(Around here we say burn ‘up’)
Some smoke, maybe an oil fire,
nothing explosive,,
Beyond that, if I was on the track Safety Crew, a car had an incident and for what ever reason, the motor would not shut off,,,, I would move away from the car. For my own safety.
If the motor is running, the possibility exists for the motor or the vehicle to go into an uncontrolled run away.

If that was my car I sure as heck wouldnt put ALL my faith/trust in track crew and just stand there snackin n jackin.
Arent they usually volunteers?

Last edited:
If that was my car I sure as heck wouldnt put ALL my faith/trust in track crew and just stand there snacking n jackin.
Arent they usually volunteers?
Agreed....I think it depends on the race event but for spectator head to head race nights when it’s just us regular joes I’m fairly sure they’re volunteers.

Guy gets brave at 2:00...whats he gonna go do, hit him? For F sake, grab an extinguisher and put your own burning car out. Where is the master disconnect? Your gonna sit on 800HP and not have a kill switch?
PS>> I see #10 that it has a kill switch: 5 second press of OFF button? RTFM<<

Last edited:
Guy gets brave at 2:00...whats he gonna go do, hit him? For F sake, grab an extinguisher and put your own burning car out. Where is the master disconnect? Your gonna sit on 800HP and not have a kill switch?

It should have one.... It's an interesting case study for NHRA and IHRA because of the new generation pony cars and the fact that they don't have to follow most of the rules to run their numbers.

JW

-
Back