Does this happen to you all the time?

-

Al Bundy

four touchdowns!
Reaction score
It seems like everyday I get 5 or 6 people who feel the need to stop me and ask me "is the car for sale". I try to be polite,but it does get annoying after a while. I don't know if most are car flippers looking for someone willing to sell for $1,000 or what,but some are extremely rude when told no,its not sale.

This afternoon in a parking lot I had some young thug/ghetto types tell me my car was an "ugly old piece of ****" after I told the guy twice it wasn't for sale. My car is in nice condition by the way and is rust free,certainly not a "piece of ****"..if it was he wouldn't be trying to buy it...his offer,after being told it wasn't for sale twice by the way was "$1,200. I told him if he thought he was going to find a rust free,running driving 70 Swinger 2 dr hardtop for that price he'd better think again.

Anyway,hope I posted this in the right section. I was just curious if anyone else here using a vintage mopar for a daily driver experiences this same ordeal.

I hear ya. Had a guy come up and say " nice car but looks like you put a cheap paint job on it" I asked him what he had and he had nothing, as he drove away in his rusted out ford crown victoria

Yea, it happens all the time but they don't get rude about it.
Maybe because I'm 6'2" and 200 lbs. :D :dontknow:

yup....quite a bit because I don't have a newer car so my mopars are my only transportation.

A couple times I have come out of a store to find a guy or two waiting for the owner to come out ......that is really a rude thing to do.

Sometimes I think I need to keep the pepper spray close by, because you never know what they want.

Some kid asked it has a HEMI ....I said no, "it has a slant six". He said, "Nah ah ...all 68 darts had HEMIs so you don't know" :evil3:

I am not totally insulted at a $5k offer on my 68 dart because its not perfect but its not junk either. I smiled and said no, He said "you wont get that much from anyone else" I said, "I know I wont, because its not for sale"

Getting old CAN have it's benefits. You can pretend to be even more deaf than you are!!!

I found the simple solution. I say, "Yea, it's for sale, the first person who forks out $35,000.00 gets it. You see, I have no intention of selling my totally rust free '69 Fastback Barracuda. I know it's not worth 35K but everyone who asks if it's for sale gets pretty deflated when I tell them how much I'll sell it for. LOL!!!

treblig

My car is still a project and not yet on the street, so no, I don't get that all the time - not ANY of the time! But I imagine it'll be semi-flattering at first to hear that kind of stuff, but from what you're saying I expect it'll wear thin. At least now I'll expect it and be ready for it.

Could a sensible answer be: "Everything's for sale, I suppose, but since I'm not really interested in selling this it would take an offer of a LOT MORE than it's worth to interest me. <grinning> That way I could buy another one!"

funny thing with an obvious race car out on the street - "they" must figure it's out of their range 'cause, no I don't have that issue - they do however give me the "do a burn out" signal... LOL

That used to irritate me all the time when i owned a 1971 Plymouth Hemi GTX, 4 speed car, one of 11 produced.
The not knowing, thinking it was a few thousand dollar car, and well into the six figures, when i sold it off.
And i heard it called every model car, other than a Plymouth, even with people looking at the GTX emblems on the quarter panels.

I have had somebody offer me $8500 for my 67 cuda big block modded set up.
I told him that's what the drivetrain is worth and if he could find another vehicle similar to this within 50 miles of us I would give it to him for that ..........

Whenever I work, I park my truck right out front off to the side, backed in. Without fail, I get at least a couple of people who ask me about it. So yeah. Anything older that's halfway decent lookin is gonna garner attention.

My Dad was hauling my car to Texas from Atlanta and got a very serious offer of 15k, guy said he could be back with the cash in 20 minutes...
My Dad still jokes about telling me my car fell off the trailer.
I used to always say "Not for sale." , until my buddy told me to just give them a very lucrative number. From now on I'll just add 10k to what I have in it, lol. If they bite, I'll find another one.

Haven't had that happen yet. My car is definitely no virgin, but after waiting 43 years to replace it with the same year same color it will wait for my estate sale to be sold.

My car was at the transmission shop getting evaluated. The shop owner moved it inside because he said 5 different persons stopped and asked if it was for sale. He said he got tired telling them it was a customers car and no he wouldn't tell them who it belonged to. I added 5k to the value a couple of times but, you know someday someone with way too much money may just own it.

I tell folks "Its not for sale bit you are welcome to make an offer."

Hell, if they say the right number.. You never know.

Thats a heck of a lot better that the dang, what year is your nova and dose it have a 350 BS...

Shoot, I just noticed your screen name.
are you the same guy from runryder?

If so, Im glad you finaly made it here.

Just put a sticker in each window that says "NOT for Sale"

Then if anyone is stupid enough to ask, just day "Sure, $30k and it's yours, nothing less." and then just smile at them no matter what they say otherwise.

yeah, ive had several people stop by the house while I'm working on it
most of them very pleasant, and many of them sharing stories on how they used to have the exact same car in highschool, only with a 440 hemi sixpack in it

I had one guy who was rather rude, first praising it into the sky, then flashing what he claimed was 5K cash, and then running the car down after I turned the offer down

just last week I came home and found a not under my wiperblade, asking if it was for sale

oh, and one of my coworkers hassles me about it
offered up everything in trades from guns, to Harleys, to several thousand dollars worth of .22 rounds

funny thing with an obvious race car out on the street - "they" must figure it's out of their range 'cause, no I don't have that issue - they do however give me the "do a burn out" signal... LOL

probably because people see your hood and mistake it for a chebby...no one wants those :D

I found the simple solution. I say, "Yea, it's for sale, the first person who forks out $35,000.00 gets it. You see, I have no intention of selling my totally rust free '69 Fastback Barracuda. I know it's not worth 35K but everyone who asks if it's for sale gets pretty deflated when I tell them how much I'll sell it for. LOL!!!

treblig

You beat me to it. However, my price is $40,000.I have told that to people several times. I don't know what I'd do if someone with more money than brains says, "OK". I've spent years getting my 69 fastback exactly how I want it.

Strange. I never get any offers to buy my stuff. I'm not sure why either.
I'm okay with it though. I have no intention to sell any of them!

Attachments

• DSCN1307.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 223
  • 2007-2.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 224
  • 67 Dart fresh paint.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_0392.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 234
Back when the 25th anniversary 'Vetts were still pretty new, a business associate of my Dad had bought one new, and had it up for sale. I had no concept, back then, of cars as an investment, ---except maybe antiques and classics

I asked him something like "why did you buy it if you weren't going to keep it awhile?"

He says "Everything I have is for sale, except my wife, and if you offer me enough money, we'll talk about her, too!!"

When my V code 70RR was only a couple of years old, it was in it's prime, and had PLENTY of "stuff" added. It was a 440-6 4 speed, Dana, with "hang on" aftermarket A/C, nice alloy wheels, headers, Holley 800, and Edelbrock intake. I had just put a receiver hitch on it

I would not have sold it for love nor money nor both put together. Some sailer hailed me in the parking lot one day, and gave me the "how much will you take?" and I was "no way"

"Yeah but if you did, bla bla" so I finally came up with a price.

Of course "I'd never get that much, bla bla"

I mean, really? Well OK, cuz I won't sell it anyhow, certainly not to YOU

If yah got $18,000 for a 318 automatic on the column, 20 year old tires, shitty grey primer over unprepped paint, and a dead mouse! I've already had two jokers ask, and it was on jackstands in the driveway with the tranny out. Needless to say, they didn't ask me to go get the title. Ha! :finga: The dickheads didn't even look twice at the '71 SST Javelin next to it.

Attachments

• wheels_on_car_01-500-375.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 233
If yah got $18,000 for a 318 automatic on the column, 20 year old tires, shitty grey primer over unprepped paint, and a dead mouse! I've already had two jokers ask, and it was on jackstands in the driveway with the tranny out. Needless to say, they didn't ask me to go get the title. Ha! :finga: The dickheads didn't even look twice at the '71 SST Javelin next to it.

agree w/ trebling, shootem a wild one ! $35,000 here too ! :)

was offered 25K for the Duster by a guy in the car next to me. Declined. Sorry, not for sale.
Wife: You should have taken it.
Me: Yeah, then you gonna give me the extra 15K I need (at least) for the 71 Charger R/T I'd replace it with?

-
Back