Does this prove David Vizard's 128 lsa formula ?

-
For most of us somewhat inefficient power (1.15-1.25tq per cid) is easier and probably cheaper or at least attainable for most and only need a decent understanding of things.
And that's where I thought these threads started out. (most any way) "I want a little more oomph from my Teen" :BangHead: :BangHead: :lol:

But your talking a higher level then I feel I can reach.

I disagree. You’re plenty smart enough and with a good scientific notation calculator you can easily do it. I can’t do it without a calculator.

And there is math for about every damn thing you can think of and then some.

Once you figure your at .050 intake timing number, you use that to get your LSA, ICL and exhaust duration.

Plus, understanding the SEVEN (not 4 or 5) process model is a real eye opener.

I keep my copy right here by my chair. And the sub title is “Race Engines Optimized Through Hardcore Math”.

If that doesn’t get you sporting wood, you may want to check your pulse.

BTW, I do not believe the math is just for hardcore racing engines. I’ve used the math successfully for several street only cams and several street/strip cams.

And that's where I thought these threads started out. (most any way) "I want a little more oomph from my Teen" :BangHead: :BangHead: :lol:
Their even asking for less efficiency to go from stock less than 1 tq per cid to just over 1 not a huge ask :)

I disagree. You’re plenty smart enough and with a good scientific notation calculator you can easily do it. I can’t do it without a calculator.

And there is math for about every damn thing you can think of and then some.

Once you figure your at .050 intake timing number, you use that to get your LSA, ICL and exhaust duration.

Plus, understanding the SEVEN (not 4 or 5) process model is a real eye opener.

I keep my copy right here by my chair. And the sub title is “Race Engines Optimized Through Hardcore Math”.

If that doesn’t get you sporting wood, you may want to check your pulse.

BTW, I do not believe the math is just for hardcore racing engines. I’ve used the math successfully for several street only cams and several street/strip cams.
I just mean at my current level of understanding, I'm always looking to understand better, why I annoy people with these threads :) and I like math.

Their even asking for less efficiency to go from stock less than 1 tq per cid to just over 1 not a huge ask :)
Exactly! Like putting some parts together for a 300 horse 318. Such a nice engine for a cruiser type car. Built right and geared right it will be plenty snappy and still get decent mileage out on the highway. Most people would be happy with that.

i can't believe i wasted 8min reading this...
Now you have at least twice that.
and so do I
I will say though.... i saw a documentary where one of the top DV proponents spent over a year building a $15k+ stroker ford with a dv cam.. and in the end it got smoked by a nearly stock 318 built by a caveman that uses cinderblocks to deck a block...... soo.... you may be right.. (it will never not be funny)
o o o o. Find and post that.

I think it pays to be sceptical.
Someone asked for a DV story. I loved his early books, used his muffler testing and guidlines, and looked forward to his somewhat occassional posts on ST. Now I've posted this before so this the short version. I followed the recommendations in his books to improve my carb like the Carb Shop did for him. Carb Shop had closed so sent it to Quick Fuel (when they were just transitioning from modifying into making carbs). $400 and many months later I began my journey. It cost me a lot more money and time to understand better why things worked and didn't work. Without Shrinker, Tuner and Gregory and lot of time and data collection (and dyno pulls) that carb would be a door stop.

Does anyone ever regret a tigher LSA? Well I did. Went 108 instead of 110 and didn't do what I needed it to do. Again a learning and was able to crutch it with the v-max lifters but they have their drawbacks too - especially for what I wanted.
There is a lot of science involved with engine design. That's for sure. 99% of us just use what the engineers designed. They must have had a reason for what they did and why. It could be for power or economics and ease of manufacture. It comes back to How much power do I need and can afford. The engine brain surgeons can always squeeze a few more ponies out of an engine but at what cost? If you have the know how, a machine shop, and want to experiment go for it.The rest of us will just try our best to bolt a combination of parts together that we can afford and that works. Sometimes that's the smartest thing for us to do.
Well said Mike.
There was a post asking about starting points. Another early lesson for me was to know something about the intake flow and lift. While there are reasons to exceed the lift where there is max flow, that's not what I want to do (again) on an engine for my purposes. So that, and the rules of what I compete in (or think I'll be competing in) are starting points for me. Another critical starting point for me is the actual compression. We have some room here, but without actually measuring the volume its a WAG. I will never do that again!
I like the idea of reviewing the closest options for the effect dynamic compression. And one of those has to be a baseline. A real baseline that you personally are familiar with. Not a problem for the people posting in this thread but a big one for first builds.
I also like the idea of looking at the cylinder capture and will prefer a cam that works with the rod ratio of the engine.
So there's my 2 cents on that subject from someone who uses the dragstrip mostly as a means not an end, and in no way is an engine builder. Just a guy that doesn't want to get burned again.

There is never going to be an optimal LSA when all the lobes are on one cam.

If that’s what you are arguing you’ll never be happy with any math to give you a starting point. And that’s what ALL the math is. A starting point.

That’s why testing matters.
My point was that in those dynos each degree of lsa was only worth about 3lbs-ft on average from 114-101, you'd have to be 10-17 degrees of lsa off to be losing the 30-50lbs-ft that DV implies and looks if you went tighter then recommend you'll still be gain.

Now I know those test are far from universal and not really setup to prove or disprove DV, my point is that the dude was using them as evidence and to me showed doubt, that's all the point I was trying to make.

Now you have at least twice that.
and so do I

o o o o. Find and post that.
Here ya go mattox :) BTW.. i'm just being a dick... Andy only had like a year to setup his truck and it wasn't there yet...

Andy only had like a year to setup his truck and it wasn't there yet...
and how many, how many, just how many times here do we try to tell folks that the build is just the begining. Most of the time? All of the time? the secret to good performance, never mind maximum performance is in tuning - tuning for performance.

and how many, how many, just how many times here do we try to tell folks that the build is just the begining. Most of the time? All of the time? the secret to good performance, never mind maximum performance is in tuning - tuning for performance.
Cost em 5k also..

It is a badass motor if you haven't seen it though.. 427 windsor with hammerhead hemi boss type heads and a tunnel ram.. crazy money but cool as hell

I think it pays to be sceptical.
Someone asked for a DV story. I loved his early books, used his muffler testing and guidlines, and looked forward to his somewhat occassional posts on ST. Now I've posted this before so this the short version. I followed the recommendations in his books to improve my carb like the Carb Shop did for him. Carb Shop had closed so sent it to Quick Fuel (when they were just transitioning from modifying into making carbs). $400 and many months later I began my journey. It cost me a lot more money and time to understand better why things worked and didn't work. Without Shrinker, Tuner and Gregory and lot of time and data collection (and dyno pulls) that carb would be a door stop.

Does anyone ever regret a tigher LSA? Well I did. Went 108 instead of 110 and didn't do what I needed it to do. Again a learning and was able to crutch it with the v-max lifters but they have their drawbacks too - especially for what I wanted.
That's really the dead give away isn't. When it doesn't work can they explain the whys and how's? DV is just scratching the surface.

Imagine being able to say this:

We’ve worked many a program where we used a record holding engine as a base line. In every instance, when the "soft" counterpart was tested, we’d gain perhaps only 8-10% more usable power, but the recovery time and acceleration rates were in a league all their own. As one would expect, the specific fuel consumption was always lower, but in every case the specific airflow requirement for the engine dropped considerably as well. So, now we’re making more power with the same displacement at the same or hopefully lower rpm ranges, and the engine’s consuming both less air and fuel. This not only verifies the fact that we’re achieving greater combustion efficiency, but the airflow relative to power notions that most believe in are no longer applicable

There's levels to this and DV's not very high up the chain in my view.

Just like driving,....folks keep dickin' with the next great thing & keep changing/upsetting the car, never getting anywhere. If They just stop, get what They have dialed in, & take the time to learn drive the damn thing....They'd be shocked at just how fast They are already....

More exh with more cubic inches, 1.600" exh valve. Yes true, but there is also more pressure in the cyl to 'push out' the exh gas.
Cams for turbo engines often have less exh duration, yet make more HP than a NA engine, so more exh gas to be removed.

More exh with more cubic inches, 1.600" exh valve. Yes true, but there is also more pressure in the cyl to 'push out' the exh gas.
Cams for turbo engines often have less exh duration, yet make more HP than a NA engine, so more exh gas to be removed.

NA you will kill power and RPM and not adding exhaust duration. Already proved that more than once.
And I'm not talking abut 4 degrees like Comp loves. I'm talking 12-15 degrees more exhaust timing. Making the engine pump out remaining exhaust gases is a sure fire way to kill RPM and lose power. Pumping losses are real.

You are missing the point. DV has a number of sayings, two of which are:
- the right cam costs the same as the wrong cam.
- so why not do some homework & buy the right cam using 128 or derivative.
- as HP goes up from matching all the component parts to work together, changes in ideal LSA, [ & adv/ret the cam ] have a much greater loss of HP than a randomly chosen cam that is not optimised for the combo.
The 128 cam is for parallel valve heads, 9-10.5 CR. For canted valve heads, the number becomes 131.5. In his BBC book, he talks of engines that require wider LSAs, 114-116. And how as CR increases the LSA needs to be wider than the target 9-10.5 CR.
I have three Crane cam catalogues. DV tested 000s of cams for Crane . In the latest catalogue after the testing was done, there was a huge increase in tight LSA cams, 106 & tighter. So Crane must have been happy with the test results to make those changes....
What the 128 formula does is simplify cylinder volumn and port flow calculations. Canted valve and hemi heads require a wider LSA due to flows. SBF engines with factory heads use 127. Good seat forms and fast off the seat valvetrains increase LSA due to increased low lift flow.
DV also states final LSA for a race engine shouldbe tested on a dyno using a number of LSA cams to zero in on what works best with the build combination.

What the 128 formula does is simplify cylinder volume and port flow calculations. Canted valve and hemi heads require a wider LSA due to flows.
For canted and hemi think it more to how effective air travels through the head, in and out, intake and exhaust then port flow. Apparently max effort wedges are efficient to around 9,500 rpms and hemi 12,000+ rpms and canted are in between depending on the angle.

My point was say his formula recommends a 108 lsa then 110 and 106 should both should show drastic losses eg.. 30-50+ lbs-ft, what those test showed was fairly minor differences and going tighter then what DV would recommend still gain which pretty much what most would think anyways that tighter gives more midrange.
If the formula recommends a 108°LSA, DV states there will be more loss using a 110°LSA cam than a 106°LSA cam. This is a base to start. High compression over 10.5:1 dictates an increase of 0.75° per compression point increase. So going from a 10.5CR to 13:1 would be 0.75 × 2.5 = 1.875° increase in LSA. Quick off the seat and high flow at low lift dictates more LSA. You need to watch Richard Holdner's video dynoing 4 LS cams. The tighter LSA cam beat the others across the whole RPM range tested. Get and read DV's book, How to Build Horsepower.
You probable could do worse then his formula, but it basically recommends what someone trying to get the most would run anyways, and seen no evidence that being 1-4 wider is a huge loss and tighter seems generally to be a gain and he talks it up as 30-50 tq+ gain by following him, the only gains I've seen like that is when people are wider by 6-12*.

To me it's like this, say I said I came up with a formula for street strip cam duration , and said it was the **** you couldn't do no better then to follow it and it generally recommended cams in the 235-255 range basically what people generally pick for street strip and cause those are the cams people generally want and the performance is obviously generally good then I say see I told ya my formula is the ****, that's what I'm kind of seeing here.

Have you read his book?

That cam spec works for a 350 Chevy with a compression ratio of 9.5/1 to 10.5/1 only.
Works for Ma Mopar also. SBF use 127. Canted valve such as BBC, Cleveland Fords and the 385 series and the Mopar polysphere use 131 or 132 for base calculatuon.

Kind of feels like when someone trying to get you join there religion :)

Yes I’ve read the word of DV.

If the formula recommends a 108°LSA, DV states there will be more loss using a 110°LSA cam than a 106°LSA cam.
Well in those dynos buddy uses as evidence they gain the tighter you go, from 120 to 101 at an average of 3 lbs-ft per degree, So if your example followed that trend 108 would make about 6 lbs-ft more than 110 and 106 would of made 6 lbs-ft over 108 and 104 would make another 6 lbs-ft, but the gains as they got tighter the gap did shrink but there was gains.
If those held up to lose 30-50lbs-ft + over recommended 108 you'd have to run 118-125 + lsa.

Like I said doesn't necessary disprove maybe cast a doubt but certainly doesn't prove.
Especially when most use a 116 at worse and more like 108-112 and the formula generally recommends 105-110.

Somewhat repeating myself here, but I've spent my dollars on DV and one has to assess both his strengths and his weaknesses of not just his understanding, but in the time and space available for his explanations. There's a reason one gets much more out of an HP Book than an SA Book. There are other things going on but
lets get back to the topic of picking of cams and the role of LSA.

Once you determine the total duration you need for your application,
you set the opening point of the intake and the closing of the exhaust.

I posted this somewhere
UDHarold -designed the Ultradyne lobes held that the exhaust close was the place to start- then the intake open
exhaust you are solving reversion and exhaust makes a big difference- you want the exhaust going out the exhaust
which gives you when you can open the intake without reversion- you have to know what your low lift flow is when the exhaust is sucking and piston speed is up or slow
and rod/stroke does make a difference
go o around the other events and determine your seat= timing
that gets you to your duration which determines your rpm range
rpm range wrong- go around again

Rod stroke makes a difference because it changes the time the piston will dwell at the top vs bottom of the stoke. The valve openings and closings ought to work with piston dwell and take advantage of it rahter than fight it.

LSA is a result not an input
figure the degrees of overlap at .004 or .006- whatever your cam grinder uses and use a number that gives you the vacuum you need
(obviously you have to take the durations into account when figuring overlap- lsa by itself is meaningless)
that covers intake open and exhaust close for a first check, now determine your intake close (as early as possible) and exhaust open (as late as possible)( at your rpm and power levels desired) and see where you're at

The LSA should be a result not an input
I've done many cams with LSA down to the 98 range
problem with off the shelf whiplash style (narrow LSA) cams is that they only work for a narrow range of builds
The big overlap gives all the big overlap problems of reversion and intake charge dilution, usually more EGT
it should as said above smooth out
but that bad *** idle is very inefficient and may be washing down the cylinder walls
best to do the full analysis before choosing any cam
longer exhaust is old school for stockish heads, etc

Those are interesting observations regarding reversion and chosing valve closing and opening points from a guy in the trenches involved with everything from motorhomes and commercial trucks to motorsports. Because a guy who focused on combustion and tuning mostly for racing (but also to meet Aussuie emissions rules) explained that same thing although from a slightly different perspective.

Shrinker wrote:
A wide LSA creates high vaccum at idle for sure but it also does other things. I prefer to think of LSA in the old ways of overlap because at least calling out the overlap amount at TDC defines the actual event rather than you having to calculate it. The overlap of the valves allows the exhaust to supply gases to the intake system depending upon the physics of what is happening in the exhaust at the time. I have done tests that indicate that large cam motors actually run on substantial amounts of air inducted through the exhaust backwards into the intake manifold. Decreasing the overlap reduces this and allows better controll of the mixture. Quite a lot of the time the exhaust system functions as a uncontrolled carburetor, in as far as it has combustible gases in it that are drawn into the engine.
How this all relates to idling is that the LSA is the un-throttled connection of the inlet to the exhaust. If the exhaust gas is going gang busters and doing all super scavenging stuff and being nice and not blowing up the intake then you can get high manifold vacuum. High manifold vacuum helps you to turn the fuel into a gas before it gets compressed.
Theres not much gas being compressed inside a cylinder when the engine is idling so you dont get much compression energy. An engine wont run at all unless the fuel is turned into gas and its the amount of gas at ignition time that determines the quality of the burn and the quality of the burn is what causes the exhaust to behave properly or be a pain in the butt.
Measuring it as LSA is a modern thing that I think confuses the issues of the overlaps effects. Ed Iskendarian got it right when he said its the fifth cycle [overlap]. And thats the best way to understand it, you have to know the ramps and imagine the effects etc. I fully realise that you can have different durations with the same LSA and therefor you get a different overlap.
I was talking in terms of varying the LSA without changing the duration. We were discussing the idle vacuum verses duration which is of course not the most important influence on the vacuum; its predominantly the overlap that affects idle vacuum. As the overlap is an "unthrottled" inlet to the inlet manifold.
LSA is a useless number in my opinion as you have to calculate what the overlap and bottom fills are but its convenient to use for advertising reasons i suppose and its whatever you get used to.

So this is a deeper explanation of why I think LSA can be useful for comparing cams but the valve events for the specific engine should be the main focus. Also very very important is what the engine needs to do. A circle track cam can focus on a narrow rpm range whereas other applications are going to want a much broader power range.

Last edited:
-
Back