*Drag Truck and 5.9 Update

-
93956E92-E5D1-4C87-853E-CA3D7F0E0594.jpeg

Pretty much now just going to try and collect parts over the winter.
  • still no garage... LOL :D
  • Drag strip is closed for the year
  • Cold weather is moving in, frost in the mornings
  • Next Spring will breathe new life in the project
  • It has a race lined up with Old Yeller....
  • This was meant to be a back burner project when it was started, at least that much has stayed on que :)

• This was meant to be a back burner project when it was started, at least that much has stayed on que :)
I thought the very original quest was 10's on 5? Which morphed into this truck which morphed into a back burner project...?..

I have Old Yeller outside too on an old slap beside my shop. I am trying to get most of the weight loss and stuff done on these few nice days we have left this year.

I will be doing the motor stuff in the shop. A big parts order (at least for me) is on its way....

I have Old Yeller outside too on an old slap beside my shop. I am trying to get most of the weight loss and stuff done on these few nice days we have left this year.

I will be doing the motor stuff in the shop. A big parts order (at least for me) is on its way....
You have any guesses on what results you are expecting? Are you thinking 1/8 mile? 1/4 mile? Just a fun toy on the street ?

You have any guesses on what results you are expecting? Are you thinking 1/8 mile? 1/4 mile? Just a fun toy on the street ?

1/8th mile here. It probably won't be as fast as I want. Mostly a fun street car. I mainly want to be able to at least barely beat my son's valiant....

A thing or two has turned in favor of Drag Truck. Besides just collecting, if the weather gives me a break now and then through the winter I'd like to turn a wrench or two. Providing we don't have another disaster year, Drag Truck will make it to the track hopefully early in the season.

A thing or two has turned in favor of Drag Truck. Besides just collecting, if the weather gives me a break now and then through the winter I'd like to turn a wrench or two. Providing we don't have another disaster year, Drag Truck will make it to the track hopefully early in the season.
This tells us nothing...

Early December and Winter parts collecting is off to a good start. Many things bought at some good deals. Actually, being a budget build, it has to be a good deal or I won't buy. My playbook has been opened up a little bit with some purchases. The hunt for more parts is marching on.... :)

I've said it all along you better put this big block together or this is going to be a blowout...

318 will never do any bottom end work so this is going have to be one souped-up stock bottom end big block... Heads cam converter... Gears..

Mopar Sam is not the target, actually quite opposite. Behind the scenes we are communicating and trying to help one another out. DRag TRuck's purpose is shear experience, learning, a new chapter in my car book. It's been blast!!! Wife and I drove 1.5 hrs today to make some purchases and chat with a racer of 50 yrs experience, mostly racing trucks. Fun times!

I'm sure it's fully understood by everybody in the world that you guys are not building these truck just for the sole purpose of racing each other...
Also I think it's well known that this is no kind of arch enemy grudge match with some kind of massive amount of pride or money being put on the line.. being that many have stepped up to race and only half have been prepared to LOL.. this quite possibly being the first time both contestants actually get to the starting line. Unfortunately not in abody's but at this point we're going to take what we get LOL...

Sometime in the near future I'll have a total cost of DT body (all but the motor & tranny). I have the rear end, drag radials, drive shaft loop, and all that in which I'll know what my budget will be for the motor/tranny/converter. This is how it's planned. Once the truck is set up, then we'll know what we can spend under the hood.

Sometime in the near future I'll have a total cost of DT body (all but the motor & tranny). I have the rear end, drag radials, drive shaft loop, and all that in which I'll know what my budget will be for the motor/tranny/converter. This is how it's planned. Once the truck is set up, then we'll know what we can spend under the hood.
Starting out with a 1300 dollar truck, we are about 2,000 dollars into it with 8.75 rear end and 3.23 gears leaving 3000 dollars for the drive train w/better gears. AND, we didn't sell one thing from the truck to lower the cost, like the power steering pump and box, the 318 roller cam motor, etc etc. which that money could be spent towards the build. Also, keep in mind, we found cheaper starts but we liked the truck. Examples, we found a long bed D150 for 500 or best offer with a bad 318 and a diplomat for 600. Pretty sure if we'd had started with the 500 dollar truck (maybe 400 would have bought it) we'd have had 3500-3900 for drive train.

Starting out with a 1300 dollar truck, we are about 2,000 dollars into it with 8.75 rear end and 3.23 gears leaving 3000 dollars for the drive train w/better gears. AND, we didn't sell one thing from the truck to lower the cost, like the power steering pump and box, the 318 roller cam motor, etc etc. which that money could be spent towards the build. Also, keep in mind, we found cheaper starts but we liked the truck. Examples, we found a long bed D150 for 500 or best offer with a bad 318 and a diplomat for 600. Pretty sure if we'd had started with the 500 dollar truck (maybe 400 would have bought it) we'd have had 3500-3900 for drive train.
Drag tires?..

Thats what the man said. :poke::lol:
Obviously, in the beginning a 4 door valiant without a engine for 500 bucks was the way. We'd have been lighter, less wind resistance, and 800 less into it to throw at the drive train. Plan was to use a B-body 8.75 and cut the wheel wells around the tires. Gut it down to about 2600 with a Big Block. Easily 10's on 5K. But the thread was just sharing our car project. It was not a promise, bet, pride, or grand standing. It's why we went with the truck.

Last edited:
You wouldn’t happen to have a video of the truck idling while you still had the jegs mufflers on it would you? I’ve got the same mufflers and just got the same cam grind from Oregon. Also, what valve springs did you run?

You wouldn’t happen to have a video of the truck idling while you still had the jegs mufflers on it would you? I’ve got the same mufflers and just got the same cam grind from Oregon. Also, what valve springs did you run?
Yes, I'm sure there are videos. I know they were on for all but the last 2 videos ?? Here's one I just grabbed, not sure how well I focused on the mufflers...

And... if anyone reads this thread and is looking for the latest update, here it is...
Drag Truck makes first Full 1/4 mile pass - 13.08 | For A Bodies Only Mopar Forum

Last edited:
-
Back