Drag Week

-
I have met deucemopar and 67autocross. Haven't had the opportunity to travel together yet. There are so many cars I didn't even see 67 auto cross until Tuesday at Gateway Motorsports Park.

Here is a pic of the Dart and 2 guys out of the group I fell in with. The Camaro runs 8.20s and is 3rd in his class. The fox body runs 7.80s and is 1st in his class.

IMG_1526.JPG

IMG_1523.JPG

I have crossed paths with most of the boys at this point....happy we made it.

I watched the live feed off and on today. Lots of fast cars. Saw deucemopar run twice, low 11s. Saw a really fast NA demon run in the 9s, a Duster, big C body and a handful of other Mopars. Nice to see the variety.

IMG_1671.JPG
Was great meeting you guys! This was a blast! Congrats and love your cars. Mopars representing 67 and Walker! And all.

We had our share of leakies and went through 4 alternators. Lol. Cheapest one lasted longest. Go figure. Rpm is just too high ( we were trying shift points between 7200-7800). I'm questioning the pulley ratio - I may have screwed that up. Motor ran like a champ. Pulled plugs this morning and was really amazed at how good they looked considering driving and hits.

Already planning next year .... just need to be keyboard warrior to sign up quick enough.

IMG_1667.JPG

We are still in. Heading to Cordova for the final day. The Dart has run like a champ, I'm so proud of it. Spent all day yesterday helping my buddy that I'm traveling with work on his chivy. Replaced several alternators from WI to here. Got in at 2 am this morning.
Nice pass,12.20-30's @ 108....

View attachment 1715091624

Yeah the highway event with the firebird was a **** show that I won't get into here but we got the car back into the race.... made for a long day for all of us... in fact it made me for get that we changed the intake gaskets on my car in the dark at the comfort inn the evening before

View attachment 1715091597

What was the deal with the highway event?
I hope the officer was ok.
I did see the Firebird run later that day?

We drove with the firebird all week after meeting them at a campground Saturday before Drag Week started... we were behind him when it happened but won't get into details about it as it's not my story to tell.
I will say that the fog that morning was nuts! After the incident I was out on the highway flagging people to slow down for long time before the Sheriff showed up... (you Americans need mandatory day time running lights like we have in Canada, at least 20 cars came out fog with about 100 feet of visibility with no no lights on) ...anyway the Sheriff gets out off the car and tells me she had just captured a kangaroo in town on her last call....so here I am standing by a corn field in Wisconsin on a foggy morning with a crashed firebird, a sheriff who just captured a kangaroo and an hour ago I just had breakfast with the Australians who shipped over their Vailiant to race...at this point I'm not sure I woke up on the right planet this morning.
We got the Firebird flat decked to the race track and beat it back into shape... later that day the passenger from the firebird and me changed the electric fuel pump on the car... and at some point around the same time we changed intake gaskets on my car at a hotel... and the tail goes on and on from there...

Yes, you heard correct, a Kangaroo did escape from a small children's petting zoo early that morning.....that's crazy.
Kangaroo escapes from Jerry Smith’s Farm in Kenosha County, wanders down Highway L

I drove by in a Black '16 Ram 2500, asked the officer if I could help at all - she waved me by as everyone was ok and the flatbed was on the way.
This whole week has been terribly foggy in the morning, and anyone who didn't automatically turn their lights on is an idiot.
I imagine after a week of drag racing and little sleep, you're probably not surprised by a Kangaroo story, or maybe the racing sausages crossing the road, or a nightmare of waking up tied to a chair in a limberger cheese eating contest!!

The Australians were laughing there asses off when I get to the track and told them the story... I was even a bit suspicious that they may have had something to it ... those boys are more nutty than us Canadians... and that's saying something.
Oh and and when we changed the intake gaskets on my car my brother and another guy who rode down from Canada on street bikes to watch Drag Week added a bit of rum to top off the rad...

I watched it live on tv until finals were over. At 4am here in Germany one day I will join. At least as spectator following with a rental car

Hi Buschi,

we should talk about this.....watching the live stream this week i told my wife that i´d like to be there and run the valiant....it seems she did not understand ;-)

do the foreign guys have to have a american car registration / insurance etc.?

Michael

Hi Buschi,

we should talk about this.....watching the live stream this week i told my wife that i´d like to be there and run the valiant....it seems she did not understand ;-)

do the foreign guys have to have a american car registration / insurance etc.?

Michael
Michael,
is your car with plates here in Germany? If so - run as is. If not we might have a Problem. pssst, you can have my plates :lol:

It's was great meeting everyone here. What an experience. Great, great people. And much more work than could have imagined. Like on maneuvers ... lol.

We didn't have any track time beforehand, so we missed on the convertor. ~1.8 60ft at 127mph and 10.95 ET is leaving a lot on the line. But the first priority was driving between tracks - and that went fine. Just ate alternators .... on the track ... didn't figure pulley ratio right either. Lol.

Again. Great to meet everyone here!!

Something we threw together for friends and family ...

It's was great meeting everyone here. What an experience. Great, great people. And much more work than could have imagined. Like on maneuvers ... lol.

We didn't have any track time beforehand, so we missed on the convertor. ~1.8 60ft at 127mph and 10.95 ET is leaving a lot on the line. But the first priority was driving between tracks - and that went fine. Just ate alternators .... on the track ... didn't figure pulley ratio right either. Lol.

Again. Great to meet everyone here!!

Something we threw together for friends and family ...

Great talking with you and the crew! It is a tough event in a old car... the guys I went with are still wiped and we have been home 3 days!

Great talking with you and the crew! It is a tough event in a old car... the guys I went with are still wiped and we have been home 3 days!

Ya. Lol. no kidding. I'm a zombie. But already planning next year ... stressing about signing up quick enough on line.

Great to meet you guys as well. Unfortunately I caught the drag week bug and the Dart will be much faster next year. Big plans already in progress. Hopefully my computer will be good enough to get me signed up in 6 minutes or less again!

-
Back