dumb oil filter question

-

MrBelvedere2

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I am working on a friends 1968 Valiant, with a 360 small block that's been swapped in. We are almost ready to fire it up, but for some reason the oil filter doesn't seat and it seems like it's too small. I know it's the right filter, there is not another gasket stuck onto the block. I am not sure of the year of the 360 short block. It's like the filter is too small and the metal part near the block is too big. When you try to crank it over oil just gushes everywhere. What am I missing here? I've never had this problem before...this is my dumb question of the week. Thanks

Attachments

• oilfilter68valiant.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 200
are you sure the plate is installed correctly on the block? You may have it flipped.

To me, it looks like the plate is not seated. It appears to be protruding too far from the block.
In any case ,I would take it off and examine the plate,it's just too easy to do.

What is the part no of the filter?

http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad26/bremereric/IMG00573-20110420-2054.jpg

mopp_0408_11_+w2_offset_rocker_heads+.jpg

To me, it looks like the plate is not seated. It appears to be protruding too far from the block.
In any case ,I would take it off and examine the plate,it's just too easy to do.

This is a very good idea, I didn't build the engine this is how it came. I will look at it again when I am at the shop next. To take it off, is there a hex at the end of the spin on stud?

some of the better threaded studs have a hex on the outside, my 1974 360 did. the stud with the 3/8" square drive inside is an oil restriction, they came on fords

make sure there is a gasket between the plate and the block. it comes in the MP 3 piece kit and Felpro sells it seperately & that one is a hair thicker than the one in the MP kit (felpro #70078 iirc) but I ain't for sure on that # (you might Google it) but your parts man can look it up in the felpro catalogue. As said confirm the plate is on tight & ain't warped (eyeball it) & some are

All the teeners I stripped out, pre about 73, had the sq drive adapters.I have seen the hex drives on later plates.
That sounds like I was a professional stripper.................but naw, maybe 10 or so.

-
Back