Dyno Vs.Drag Strip Testing

-
If I built my own stationary dyno, I would probably build it so that i could change the angle of attack to somewhat simulate G forces. Imagine a weighted string hanging from your rear view mirror as a visual indicator of G force. If the car were accelerating at 1G, the angle of that string would be 45 degrees. For a stationary dyno to somewhat replicate 1G of acceleration, nose of the engine would need to angle up 45 degrees. For 2G of accel, the nose would have to angle up about 63 degrees! Imagine the affects on the oiling system, float levels and carb calibration. Makes you wonder why there isn't more performance difference between carbs and efi. No wonder T56's need a pump to spray oil on the head gears.

Grant

That would replicate the angle generated by pitch rotation, but not the force.

Grant stop thinking outside the box it scares these guys!...

That box has been around for a long time. You can buy a dyno that replicates all the motion. It’s not now.

The dyno I ordered could be programmed to run any road course you had data logged. It also could be used for much more.

The dyno my falcon was on could simulate road courses or drag strip runs or whatever he had saved in the system. It was pretty cool. But, because it was a hub dyno it was impossible to dial in the traction control strategy. The only downside I could find.

That box has been around for a long time. You can buy a dyno that replicates all the motion. It’s not now.

The dyno I ordered could be programmed to run any road course you had data logged. It also could be used for much more.
My Dyno is faster than your dyno! ...
FACT...

I forgot to add my Dyno sheets come as two printed out laminated copies. One for your glovebox and a smaller but readable copy for your wallet. This copy comes in very handy when out drinking (drunk) at your local bars or away on vacation. Nothing like talking numbers after several shots of your favorite adult beverage.

My Dyno is supercharged and with the turn of this screw and a sharp pencil I can get you as much horsepower as you want so you can really brag at car cruises.

But can it give you a fast, sharp nitrous tune that won't burn holes in your pistons? :D

IIRC nascar has been using them for years.

IIRC nascar has been using them for years.

Yes they have. So have the OEM’s, Formula 1 and a bunch of others.

The problem is the cost. I know what the dyno I ordered cost, and I know what we paid, and I know what it is now. And cheap it ain’t.

But neither is the data collected with a good Dyno. And that data is invaluable.

That would replicate the angle generated by pitch rotation, but not the force.

When my Racepak gives me accel G, it's basically telling me the angle of that weighted string in relation to it's vertical at-rest position. Linear accel + pitch rotation. Actual force of the weight pulling on the string @ 1G accel would be about 1.4 x it's static weight.

The old G-tech that I used years ago had a G correction factor you could change to account for different amounts of pitch rotation, but the Racepak does not.

Grant

When my Racepak gives me accel G, it's basically telling me the angle of that weighted string in relation to it's vertical at-rest position. Linear accel + pitch rotation. Actual force of the weight pulling on the string @ 1G accel would be about 1.4 x it's static weight.

The old G-tech that I used years ago had a G correction factor you could change to account for different amounts of pitch rotation, but the Racepak does not.

Grant

I get that. But unless the dyno MOVES, you are not replicating the exact scenario as it is in the car.

Can the dyno shift gears to see how the engine recovers at each gear change...?

Yes they have. So have the OEM’s, Formula 1 and a bunch of others.

The problem is the cost. I know what the dyno I ordered cost, and I know what we paid, and I know what it is now. And cheap it ain’t.

But neither is the data collected with a good Dyno. And that data is invaluable.
Wait a minute you ordered a Dyno and "we" paid for it??..

No, we would be myself and the dickhead I worked for.
Is this really true?...
Screenshot_20200901-213539.png

that sounds like the spintron dyno my brother use to spend a lotta time on when he was at arringtons doing mopar nascar stuff for thay pulled out of it...he said it bored him to death to set there watching a motor run a 500 mile simulation of what ever track,...just hearing bout it all exhighted me to no end...

that sounds like the spintron dyno my brother use to spend a lotta time on when he was at arringtons doing mopar nascar stuff for thay pulled out of it...he said it bored him to death to set there watching a motor run a 500 mile simulation of what ever track,...just hearing bout it all exhighted me to no end...

Yeah, that would be mind numbingly boring after the first couple of hours.

Ive seen video of Mercedes I think it was with a engine on a dyno that simulated corner angles and such. It was pretty cool to watch.

-
Back