Ebay GT45 + 5.9 Magnum + E85 blow thru

-
Reset my distributor from scratch, made sure the timing and rotor phase were all lined up. Unrelated but I also swapped out my steering box for one of the new PST 16:1 manual boxes. It's tight, but a lot better...upper body workout.

This was one of a few light street blasts from 2nd through 3rd with the exhaust dumps open. Methanol injection is coming on and air temps are in more reasonable ranges. I think what happened in that last pass I made at the track was that; 1.) the engine was heat soaked after driving in traffic for an hour and almost immediately making a pass and 2.) I think the loose distributor got shook so much it might have advanced 5 or more degrees (gasp!). I also found three of the distributor cap towers extremely corroded (S. Florida humidity gets in everywhere). Anyway, cleaned everything up, motor feels good, nothing seems broken and I'm ready for another TnT at 12psi.

02-10-2019.png

Good job! What do you normally spin this up to? I see 5350 max rpm. Hows the street maners on 12psi?

Good job! What do you normally spin this up to? I see 5350 max rpm. Hows the street maners on 12psi?
When I race I shift around 5500, hit 5800 on occasion. Rev limiter is set at 6000. I keep it super safe. 12psi on the street is too violent. Im not sure what is considered a "fast spool" but around 3000rpm the turbo is already coming on strong.

Cool to see it back running do you go to west palm beach track?
No. I've been wanting to go up there for a while but it's such a long haul from Miami. We race at Miami/Homestead Speedway. They turn pit row into an 1/8 mile track with burnout box, Christmas tree and time slips. Not the best track but it's near by. I'm thinking about racing at Immokalee end of this month. It's 1/8 also.

#3 broke this weekend. Sounded like a rod knock when I cut the engine. This is what I've found so far. Looks like a busted ring and the Felpro 1008 got pushed out but didn't fully break.
IMG_20190218_101235141.jpg
IMG_20190218_101402238.jpg
IMG_20190218_100825997.jpg

That sucks! Was this on the 93 street tune? 10-12psi? That seems to be the magic number.

That sucks! Was this on the 93 street tune? 10-12psi? That seems to be the magic number.
Actually I was just cruising. Maybe got into boost briefly in 3rd gear but nothing heavy. I think the motor was already hurt from the last race. I was just overly optimistic. I had just changed the oil and cut open the filter and there were signs of wear.

Too bad. It's a very cool build. I've been watching it from the beginning.
I know it's only been a few days but do you have any thoughts how you're gonna fix it?

Too bad. It's a very cool build. I've been watching it from the beginning.
I know it's only been a few days but do you have any thoughts how you're gonna fix it?
Still haven't pulled the engine to do the full autopsy but I think the issue is related to just that #3 cylinder. I'm on the fence about my next move. Just replace the bad piston/rings (cylinder bore still looks good) or build something new?; Forged pistons/rods, stock cast stroke? Forged stroker? Hard to ignore the cost of a complete forged 408 stroker kit. Need to have the cylinder head checked out also. Not sure how bad that damage is.

I checked the distributor. The phasable rotor was lose AND the distro hold down was loose. I think the whole thing got shook into a too advanced position. I reset everything and put the timing light on it to get the timing squared away
Detonation. That’s usually what breaks the ring lands.
If the engine and cylinder head checked out good then my vote is to replace the piston and ride. I would say get the parts together for a winter project but I don’t think you guys experience that. Haha

How does the FITech do with the boost? Any issues?
It's been a struggle to tune, especially with E85. Not much documentation. I would go Megasquirt or some other MPI if money weren't an issue.

-
Back