Edelbrock carb adjustment

-
Just my opinion, but I'd say a strip kit would have worked better than a sledge hammer.

They are stuck with those carbs as they have no choice. Given the option between what the rule book says is legal and what ever carb their heart desires, I guarantee most if not all would be running something else. Likely a Holley.
You can't "guarantee" nothing... That's just your opinion...

It may be his opinion...... but it’s apparently shared with most of the racing and hot rodding world.

In situations where people can run whatever carb they desire, the overwhelming choice is to use the Holley or Holley style carbs.

It may be his opinion...... but it’s apparently shared with most of the racing and hot rodding world.

In situations where people can run whatever carb they desire, the overwhelming choice is to use the Holley or Holley style carbs.
While I agree the problem is there's too much monkey see monkey do and everybody has to have a holley and 90% of the people don't know how to adjust them. When an Edelbrock would serve them much much better...

I guess a good question would be what percentage of your customers or people that you know that have a holley shouldn't have one LOL..
I've got several customers that had to have a Holley... (Daily driver Cruise night cars).. and when I asked them if they knew how to adjust it... All I got was the deer in the headlights stare... Not that I would have not got the same look if it would have been an Edelbrock but it would have been much easier to teach them... Without sight Windows I'm not a big fan of spilling fuel on the motor while running to get the floats adjusted correctly...
Again I agree with the racing world but the problem is the hot rod world is just doing monkey see monkey do and should probably not be messing with Holley carburetors..
I would go out on a limb and say 95% of the 50000 plus members of this forum are hot rods daily driver people and they would probably benefit from an Edelbrock and being able to simply adjust it.. personally I found it easier to get someone to understand at the very least how an Edelbrock carburetor works as opposed to a holley.. also I like to mention the non leak design for people that don't like to fiddle with their carburetor every now and again and replace seals..

let me see if I can beat anybody to the punch here that's going to say they've had their Holley carburetor forever and never replace the seal...

let me see if I can beat anybody to the punch here that's going to say they've had their Holley carburetor forever and never replace the seal...

What seal?

There are two real problems with the Holley.

The first is Holley refuses to admit that they teach the tuning of their carbs wrong. Of course, many of the clone carbs and certainly the “boutique” car builders of the 1990’s and early 2000’s (and maybe still today) went completely off the rails with crazy emulsion packages and the like. That certainly has its place, but tune up’s like that are the exception and not the rule. Then you get the guys who copy stuff like that without know why it was done, or why the application even called for a tune up like that in the first place.

The second issue is the Holley and the clones are easier to change, and have more to change.

It’s much easier to change emulsion on a holley than most anything else.

The power enrichment circuit is wholly misunderstood and is misused. It is separate from the main jets, where the Carter and the clones are not.

Even the accelerator pump circuit has more options than the Carter.

It’s relatively simple to change the boosters in Holley, and there are many choices of booster, and they all do something differently.

The float bowls don’t sit over engine heat like a Carter. Most guys can set the float level so close on assembly that even without sight glasses it’s not an issue. You don’t have to pull the top to adjust the float levels.

Jet changes are quicker, and you don’t have the metering rods to figure in.

You can easily make the Holley open 1:1, which is another option.

The float bowls are bigger, and with Fuel Chute bowls, you can easily increase the bowl volume.

Because the Holley is used in so many different applications, and because it has been produced for what...SEVEN DECADES and because there are so many companies doing modifications and even producing these carbs, that the tuning variations make the carb seem complicated, when it’s not.

I could go on, but all theses options, and the misinformation out there makes the Holley seem impossible to tune. It’s not. You just need to be methodical about it.

And certainly, the Holley can and will make more power, and as good fuel economy as anything else. You just have to realize that the vast majority of these carbs are a “universal” fit, which means they universally fit nothing correctly out of the box.

Please point me towards which currently available Edelbrock/Carter carb would be suitable for a 650hp+ hot street/strip or bracket race engine with a cam that’s got over 260@.050 duration in a single carb application.

I want one that doesn’t require reengineering all the circuits so it will idle in gear and also provide adequate fuel flow capacity for the 650hp+.

Please point me towards which currently available Edelbrock/Carter carb would be suitable for a 650hp+ hot street/strip or bracket race engine with a cam that’s got over 260@.050 duration in a single carb application.

Or show how to tune the C/E for that application.

I don’t care if it “can” be tuned for that application.
It’s certainly not going to just be a matter of swapping the rods and jets.

Most of the people I deal with just want to buy something and bolt it on....... and have it at least be “close”.

I’d say at least 50% of the builds I’m involved with are that type of that 260-ish@.050 combo....... or rowdier.

Then probably close to 1/2 of the remaining customers are doing something with a 6bbl set up.

More and more of the customers with the milder combos are going to EFI.

Last edited:

I want one that doesn’t require reengineering all the circuits so it will idle in gear and also provide adequate fuel flow capacity for the 650hp+.

LOL...I forgot to mention all the needle and seats options for the Holley. Can’t say that about the C/E stuff either.

Well I have to agree as well but do you think 25000 out of the 50,000 members of this forum have a cam like that or an engine with that much horsepower?..

Most of the people I deal with just want to buy something and bolt it on....... and have it at least be “close”.

I’d say at least 50% of the builds I’m involved with are that type of that 260-ish@.050 combo....... or rowdier.

Then probably close to 1/2 of the remaining customers are doing something with a 6bbl set up.

I wasn't sure if I should have given you a like or an agree on this post but both apply. Again making my point though... I've got a customer right now that has a brand new EFI setup still sitting in the box for The last 5 years brand new unopened. well it is open now because I had to open it up and check it all out. of course it doesn't come with the fuel pump and all the other accommodating parts. I think he got it as a gift from his kids and it was well I can't even tell you how much. But I'm trying to talk him into a simple $300 Edelbrock because not only does he not know anything about EFI the expanse I'm getting the rest of the accommodating parts I'm getting it all up and operating will be much more... But again it's to make it so they don't have to do anything. But come to find out there's a lot to do to make one of those run.
In my defense would you say that your customers hit the daily driver demographic or is your shop more geared for performance? I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this.. and if it's the answer that I think it is well no s*** Sherlock of course you're getting customers like that...

And one more thing (columbo would be proud) do you agree with the original post that all Edelbrocks should be put out and smash with a hammer?..

FYI.. I had one of these 260 + cams last cam.. I didn't think 119 miles an hour in a quarter mile was too bad for a Edelbrock and a carter performance paired together... One that came with the car on its 318 and one that was given to me as scrap metal... Neither one gave me absolutely any problem for all the years I had them. I sold them for $150 each and hope they continue to work as they did for me...

Another beating to the punch if you had Holley it would have went faster LOL...

FYI.. I had one of these 260 + cams last cam.. I didn't think 119 miles an hour in a quarter mile was too bad for a Edelbrock and a carter performance paired together... One that came with the car on its 318 and one that was given to me as scrap metal... Neither one gave me absolutely any problem for all the years I had them. I sold them for $150 each and hope they continue to work as they did for me...
I believe your 4 speed masked some of the low speed transition problems of the Carter.

I'm waay over 650hp with a single Carter/Edelbrock style carb, currently a clone 9635SA 625cfm. Helps when a large percentage of the overall mixture ends up coming in under the throttle body :)
Wouldn't change it for the world at this point, easier to get races with it and I love the looks I get when I show someone what's under the air cleaner. Over the years I've tried just about every modification/calibration while tuning with a wide band, current calibration isn't far from out of the box.

Grant

I'm waay over 650hp with a single Carter/Edelbrock style carb, currently a clone 9635SA 625cfm. Helps when a large percentage of the overall mixture ends up coming in under the throttle body :)
Wouldn't change it for the world at this point, easier to get races with it and I love the looks I get when I show someone what's under the air cleaner. Over the years I've tried just about every modification/calibration while tuning with a wide band, current calibration isn't far from out of the box.

Grant
4sp ? auto?

camshaft 250 or so @.050, single plane and auto trans is tunable nightmare for a Carter style carb. period !

-
Back