"El Mongrel" '65 Formula S Restomod

-
And the finished product. I'll throw one in of the core support. The yellow boxes show where the hose fittings were attached on the back of the core support. I bit the bullet and drilled out the two center holes in the passenger side to get adequate air flow on that side:

Attachments

• Cuda 68.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 740
  • Cuda 4.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 686
Had to find the other memory stick with all the car photos. Final two shots of the air filter setup.

Attachments

• IMG_1281.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 690
  • IMG_1282.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 674
Did you seal the snorkels before bolting them on?
I also noticed that you have a dynabat battery how do you like it? Also did you have a hard time setting up your holley carb? I have a Holley Street Avenger 570 that I bough used ran great for a while now it's acting all weird.

Didn't seal the snorkels as the flanges protrude out and the snorkels fit good and snug over them. I didn't consider sealing them as the factory didn't.
Other than setting the timing and setting up the carb per instruction sheet I haven't messed with it. Seems to run pretty good out of the box but you can always make it better. Down load the instruction sheet for your carb off the web and tune that baby up Cliff. I do know I need to recurve my distributor.
I did the DynaBat as an experiment (13 lbs I think). Wanted to loose the weight of a normal battery (aprox 30 lbs) off the nose to help handling and a standard battery would block access to the core support hole I wanted to use for the inlet of the driver's side snorkel. Other than the high cost it's a great battery, plenty of juice to start a high compression motor and its held a charge like a champ over several winter storages.

Part 6
As I had mentioned before the cars stock HP 273 A/C radiator looked to be in good shape but to be sure I had it pressure checked and cleaned. It was given a good bill of health by the radiator shop and was bolted back into the core support. I was a little concerned about its ability to cool anything bigger than the 318 so I wanted to do what I could to help it out for that future stroker kit. The stock 4 bladed fan was removed and thrown in the corner. Priority #1 was to locate a clutch fan that would fit in the old fan’s space. As I was staring at the radiator kicking around some ideas for a shroud it dawned on me that the 273 radiator’s inlet was on the driver’s side. What the $^&*#$@ is going on here? I glanced over to the 318 sitting on the engine stand and sure enough the water pump inlet was on the passenger side. Well that looks expensive! I sure didn’t want to have to modify the radiator or buy a new one. Time for a beer and some research. A quick search on FABO resulted in the info and solution I was looking for. The early A’s had a cast iron water pump with the inlet on the driver’s side and later aluminum water pumps switched the intake to the passenger side. The solution was too easy as the early version would indeed bolt right onto any LA series block. A trip to the local parts store and the proper hoses and an A/C spec pump were ordered up. One small issue cropped up trying to hook the bypass hose (smaller ID than latter hoses) to the LD340 intake. Some digging through the bins at the hardware store finally produced a useable brass adapter.
With that problem solved it was time to head to the Pick-n-Pull to find a clutch fan and see if a workable radiator shroud could be located. With all the measurements written down in my note book and tool bag packed I headed out. A suitable clutch fan was quickly located in the Chrysler section on Jeep Cherokee models with the straight six engine. After inventorying what was available a unit was found in good working condition with an unbent fan. On to the shroud. After searching row after row of demolished cars it was looking like a suitable shroud wasn’t going to be located. Everything was too big on the Detroit Iron and nothing in the foreign stuff had workable dimensions. With the sun getting low on the horizon I strolled over to the Chevy section on my way out. Concentrating on the smaller vehicles I soon struck gold. The shroud on a Blazer II had just the right sized radiator. Although the shroud looked pretty deep I broke out the wrenches and quickly had it on the ground. I checked my measurements and with a big smile on my face headed for the exit gate. I quickly determined the stock mounting flanges on the shroud wouldn’t work and cut them off. This had the added benefit of shortening the depth issue by several inches. Four simple L brackets made from slices of 2” aluminum angle mounted the plastic shroud utilizing the stock shroud mounts on the sides of the radiator. An added benefit of the shroud is that it is split in half horizontally so that the top half can easily be removed to gain access to the entire front of the motor. The clutch fan fit the opening of the shroud like they were designed together. There is right at ¾” clearance between the fan and the radiator core which is about right. The fan does sit further into the shroud than is optimal but still pulls a ton of air, plenty even for a stroked “Teen”. The top radiator tank had a funny little bulge that interfered with the shroud but was easily reshaped with the rounded side of a length of 1.5” pipe gently tapped with a heavy hammer.

Attachments

• Cuda 23.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 652
  • IMG_1283.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 662
  • IMG_0099.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 628
That is a very clean and factory looking install. Have you or did you ever think about using a Lincoln Mark VIII Electric fan?

I have heard of the Mark VIII fan swap but have actually never seen one. Most of this stuff I'm posting about was done between 2006-2009. All my projects got put on hold as I got laid off in June '09 and then sold my house and made the move to southwest WA. Spent most of the next two years searching for and buying our new house, getting a shop built, moving all my car stuff down from storage and getting everything up and running again. Still have to sheet rock the inside of the shop and build benches so I can start bending wrenches and breaking parts again. I really miss my old junkyard stomping grounds. I've made the rounds of the self help yards around Portland, OR and 99% of the older cars have all been ground to dust and shipped to China so they can send it back to us in a multitude of oddly shaped crap. I'm working on a '74 Duster which will be my version of ProTour and am using mostly new aftermarket stuff. Just can't find the sources for old parts like I use to. Getting old and the world is a changing. This one will probably be my last.

Part 7
Last bits of engine trivia consists of stock ’88 electronic distributor, an “orange box” ignition control, already talked about DynaBat battery, and a nearly new alternator found on a “junkin” trip. I modified the engine bay wiring to bypass the ammeter per an article written by MAD Electrical and installed a three gauge cluster under the dash w/ voltmeter, oil press and water temp. I also updated the windshield washer with an electric motor/tank unit out of a latter Duster which still looks stock but was way cheaper than new stock components.

Attachments

• IMG_1292.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 672
Cliff this is for you. These are my floor pans with my rust "issues".... Sorry couldn't help myself. I was elated when I pulled the carpet out of the car. Other than a little light surface rust in the two front foot wells the floor looked like it had just been installed at the factory. There is a quarter sized hole in the driver's lower quarter but that is the extent of rust in the car. The infamous "Rust Free" car? No, but damn close.

Attachments

• IMG_1291.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 677
  • IMG_1290.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 656
  • Cuda 7.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 668
You better take care of that rust! You'll be driving like Fred Flintstone in another 30 years. Gotta love those NW cars. Great review of your Barracuda. Can you tell us about your steering shaft/coupler?

Cliff this is for you. These are my floor pans with my rust "issues".... Sorry couldn't help myself. I was elated when I pulled the carpet out of the car. Other than a little light surface rust in the two front foot wells the floor looked like it had just been installed at the factory. There is a quarter sized hole in the driver's lower quarter but that is the extent of rust in the car. The infamous "Rust Free" car? No, but damn close.

I know I have few small holes in my floorboards. Hopefully there will not any major size holes.

Whats even more strange is the floorplans in the '69 Valiant are pretty much like yours rapom, and it is a rubber mat car. 42 years later, a car that has sat outside all its life, and the pans are just sweet. Gotta love Ballard- this is probably one of the last "Granny" cars to make it out. Now its all condos and 'trendy' folks and all the scandanavian flavor is gone...well except for the tourist area where it is kept up for that very same reason. There are no more oldamores or oldafars puttering around on the roads there

It seems like you see fewer and fewer old Mopars out on the road anymore. Drivers I mean. There a many nice hot rod/restored examples tucked away in garages, you just never see them unless you go to a car show or local meeting spot. I was shocked this last week when I saw a young lady in a very nice 73-76 Duster survivor out doing shopping and 3 "drivers" within 2 blocks as I was cruising through a neighborhood down by the city center of Vancouver. A nice black Signet, a 69 Dart in grey primer and a nice 66 Dart. They're still out there.

You better take care of that rust! You'll be driving like Fred Flintstone in another 30 years. Gotta love those NW cars. Great review of your Barracuda. Can you tell us about your steering shaft/coupler?

Funny you should ask as I've been working on that as my next installment.

Part 8
I had mentioned in part 4 about replacing the power steering with a manual box. There were two reasons for this, first I didn’t have the scratch for new hoses and rebuilding the power box and pump. Second exhaust clearance as I knew it was going to be tight. Look at the first picture of the installed exhaust system in part 4. Can you imagine cramming a bigger box and hoses in that space. Yeah I know it can be done but, man, why create more problems for yourself when you can solve them instead. After locating a nice manual box, again through a friend, and getting it cleaned up and installed the next issue reared its head. The stock steering coupling was hard up against the header. If you look in the same picture you can see my solution. I first bought a power steering column to manual adapter, you know, the one that looks like the top half of a long neck beer bottle. Well that was money wasted as it rubbed just as bad only in a different spot. Out came the parts catalogs and with the help of BAD again a plan came together. An order was placed to Flaming River for an appropriate sized coupling and their “D” shaft with an unsplined slip joint on one end. After some quick measurements out came the steering column and in short order it was laying in pieces on the workbench. I pulled out my chop saw and wacked the steering shaft off at the appropriate length.

Note: Having a welder and knowing how to use it is a major contributor to performing just about any modification you care to think up on our cars. It’s a skill with unlimited benefits too. Like lots of new “friends”……think about it. Yeah you got it. Like owning a pickup truck where you become the neighborhood moving company.

A few minutes latter the shaft and adapter were welded together and the column reassembled. I slipped it back into position, attached the coupling to the input shaft of the manual box and gave the wheel a spin. Viola! Problem solved. The welded together section is up inside the steering column tube and is hidden behind the rubber shaft seal. Nice and neat.

I went to the Flaming River web site to link the shaft and coupling but it looks like they have dropped it from their product line. The part number was 1505M. Back in March '07 when I ordered mine the kit went for 109.95 thru Summit. Flaming River only shows two part numbers for Mopar couplings and they start at 1506M. That's a shame because it was such a simple and effective solution for the early A header/steering interference. Damn them!

Manual box and steering column mod. Other items of note in pics: Mini starter- junkyard, disk/drum brake proportioning valve, new brake and transmission lines, completely rewelded & refinished K member, Schumacher Torque Strap pn TQ63A for engine.

Attachments

• Cuda 20.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 684
  • Cuda 21.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 668
  • Cuda 22.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 684
Part 9
Ok, we have the power production portion of the “go fast” requirement covered in nauseating detail so we will move on with the rest of the drive train. With the engine installation pretty much handled it was time to finally decide what transmission was going to replace the original twin cable shifted 904 auto. I had seriously considered a 4 speed and hacking the floor to get it installed even though that would have violated every guideline I had put into place on this project. About this time fate stepped in and the decision was made for me. Let’s be honest with ourselves, many times what parts fall in our laps dictate the direction our projects head, and this was no exception. By pure luck one of my two best friends had decided that it was time to get serious with his car and totally dedicate it to the drag strip (9 second goal). To that end the car was taken back to a shell and everything removed was sold. He had a sweet little trans, just recently rebuilt with top of the line goodies, and offered it to me for a song. It’s a A999, which is a late model A904 beefed up for medium-heavy duty use. It has additional clutch plates and lower ratio 1st & 2nd gear sets. In addition this trans had Kevlar friction plates, manual reverse pattern valve body, deep sump chrome oil pan and all new bearings and seals. It was built for drag racing behind a 425 horse 360. $250. Needless to say I couldn’t get the money in his hands fast enough. Prior to all this happening I had already picked up an 8 ¼ axle out of a 75 Valiant 4 door my other friend was parting out for $125. I placed an order through a Mopar Performance dealer in Spokane, were we got a 10% racers discount and free shipping, for the following:
3.55 gear set - $189.20
Sure Grip unit - $277.20
Bearing and seal kit - $99.95
SFI flex plate - $27.50
Torque converter bolts - $17.50
MP 166K torque converter - $184.80
Just for informational purposes for the early A cohort: any A body 8 ¼ axle is 1 ½” narrower than the stock 7 ¼. Not only is it a much stronger bolt in replacement but it allows you to maximize the stock wheel well for bigger tires with another easy mod I will describe when we get to the suspension upgrades.
This brings up a little tidbit of trivia that supports the previous owner’s account of the history of this little blue bullet. While I was removing the original rear axle I was having a dickens of a time getting the passenger side brake drum off. The driver’s side had slid off easy as pie but the other side was like it was welded together. Turns out this was not far from the truth. After quite a while of poking, prodding and prying with several flat blade screwdrivers the drum literally “popped” off whatever was holding on to it. What greeted my eyes was a horrible sight. The brake shoes, devoid of any lining material had very nearly cut their way completely through the drum and the resultant “groove” was the cause of the hang up. I broke out a lawn chair and a “cold one” and proceeded to give some thought as to why someone would ride the brakes into oblivion like that. Anyone who has driven into Yakima, WA. from the north on the freeway is familiar with the very looooong steep grade that brings you down off the upper plateau into the valley. The story went that the car had broken down and was towed and then abandoned due to impound fees. Obviously the passenger side shoes must have given up the ghost and were ridden metal on metal for most of that decent. Kind of fun doing a little detective work (besides quenching your thirst).
The next item on the drive train list was the drive shaft. I took an old shaft I had into NW Drive Shaft, a company who had built several for me previously, to get shortened and rebalanced. Once again luck was riding on my shoulder. As they were welding the shaft back together they blew a hole in it and rather than jury rig it they decided to replaced the shaft with new heavier tubing. For the price of shortening, balancing and new U joints I got a completely new HD shaft. For anyone looking in the Tacoma area for this kind of work these guys have my A#1 recommendation. A new polyurethane transmission mount, $74.95 (owch!), and a universal drive shaft loop (heavily modified) from Summit round out the drive train work. I guess I should explain what I did to the safety loop. It hung much too low for my tastes so I sliced off about 1 ½” from the leg of each half and redrilled the holes to shorten the hoop approx. 3”. I then cut off and shortened the mounting “ears” and welded them back on at an angle. This did two things for me; moved the hoop forward and it followed the floor pan's shape much better. I then removed the much too small seat mounting studs from the rear of the seat rails and drilled them and the floor holes out for larger hardware to mount the drive shaft loop. It’s a much more compact arrangement now.
Other items of interest in pics: Bolt in tubular subframe connectors (to be covered under suspension), drive shaft safety loop, poly trans mount, chrome diff cover (another Xmas gift from one of my “suppliers”). Nothing (trans oil pan, exhaust, drive shaft loop) under the car hangs any lower than the subframe connectors.

Attachments

• Cuda 32.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 670
  • Cuda 33.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 657
  • Cuda 38.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 643
I wish, mine is still in Michigan. Everytime I plan on going up we either Have someone in the hospital or something comes up with my youngest at school that we have to attend. He is a senior this year and we try to give him all the support we can. The car is paid for if everyone will stay healthy for a week or so I'll make the trip up. During that time I had to deal with a mediation to settle a workmen's comp settlement. After 3 years of being out of work that is behind me. Now another couple of weeks before I will have my last check from them. The good thing is it's a very large check that will make my bank happy. We are looking to relocate maybe from North Carolina to Georgia or something. My wife and 3 kids all want a change so why not. If we can find a home and pay cash for it I can retire and play with my fish and look for somemore fish to restore. The car is coming south soon I promise.

Just did the relocation thing myself in '09. Was happy where I was but it actually worked out really well. I miss my two car buds. Now if I could just find a damn job!

I wish, mine is still in Michigan. Everytime I plan on going up we either Have someone in the hospital or something comes up with my youngest at school that we have to attend. He is a senior this year and we try to give him all the support we can. The car is paid for if everyone will stay healthy for a week or so I'll make the trip up. During that time I had to deal with a mediation to settle a workmen's comp settlement. After 3 years of being out of work that is behind me. Now another couple of weeks before I will have my last check from them. The good thing is it's a very large check that will make my bank happy. We are looking to relocate maybe from North Carolina to Georgia or something. My wife and 3 kids all want a change so why not. If we can find a home and pay cash for it I can retire and play with my fish and look for somemore fish to restore. The car is coming south soon I promise.

Hope it's soon.

I am looking for a home with a garage to work in. We have a nice contemporary home that is very private but has no garage and the way it sits would be hard to put one and have it look right. Georgia has so many homes for sell. I have been all over this country with the exception of Washington State. I have been to both Canada and Mexico and have seen alot. I think there is beauty all over this great country we call home. Sometimes you may have to look harder, but its there. Why Georgia, prices are good, my wife can find work in her chosen field as can my daughter. Hopefully my 2 sons will have some luck and I can work on my Formula S and maybe find some other car to restore. Time will tell, but thats our plans. Carolina is home but home is where I can park my car in a nice garage without having to borrow money to do it. My goal is to leave here, buy a home, pay off what I owe and become debt free. Sounds like a good plan don't you think?

I am looking for a home with a garage to work in. We have a nice contemporary home that is very private but has no garage and the way it sits would be hard to put one and have it look right. Georgia has so many homes for sell. I have been all over this country with the exception of Washington State. I have been to both Canada and Mexico and have seen alot. I think there is beauty all over this great country we call home. Sometimes you may have to look harder, but its there. Why Georgia, prices are good, my wife can find work in her chosen field as can my daughter. Hopefully my 2 sons will have some luck and I can work on my Formula S and maybe find some other car to restore. Time will tell, but thats our plans. Carolina is home but home is where I can park my car in a nice garage without having to borrow money to do it. My goal is to leave here, buy a home, pay off what I owe and become debt free. Sounds like a good plan don't you think?

Sounds like a plan and your S is resting comfortably awaiting its trip south for a restore.

I know your taking good care of her, have you given her a bath and massage lately?

-
Back