Electronic ignition for Slant 6

-
If you go this road, your going to have to upgrade your charging system regardless of what anybody else says! I don't know what it is with these Mopar Idiots that give this bad advice and not knowing the consequences of doing so. I tell people and post this every time someone ask's your question, and all the time the stupid people that think they know everything can't comprehend ****! Pertronix II is the way to go, easy simple, and hidden & looks like stock. Good Luck
Read, study, learn! charging system overview
I have the Pertronix I in my '65 slant six, I just installed a new voltage regulator, but it's not transistorized. So I should still switch over to transistorized VR even with the Pertronix I? I think that's the case.
Thanx for posting overview.

I tried pertonix years ago and it didn't work.

the best luck I had was with as many used parts I could find laying around. I did get a electronic conversion harness off ebay and an auto zone remanufactured electronic distributor. 6 years later and almost 30K miles later and it will start right now. I did not upgrade anything else and kept it simple, just ran what is there and is still there now that still works great. Total cost was under 50 bucks (2012 prices)

View attachment 1715442539

Hot roddin at its finest.

Go ahead and try that and see how that works out for you! More people have had problems then it being a solution!
And just like everybody else, you did not actually answer the question. Can you enumerate what this great mysterious danger is? I've been at this a very long time, and I still don't have that answer!!!

If you go this road, your going to have to upgrade your charging system regardless of what anybody else says! I don't know what it is with these Mopar Idiots that give this bad advice and not knowing the consequences of doing so. I tell people and post this every time someone ask's your question, and all the time the stupid people that think they know everything can't comprehend ****! Pertronix II is the way to go, easy simple, and hidden & looks like stock. Good Luck

Excuse me ?
Who are you again ?
Mopar idiots, stupid people?
My advice is straight from the factory Chrysler engineers, with millions of miles of service, unlike your bubble gum pertronix ignition. And you do not need to change anything on your ignition as long as it is up to snuff. Maybe its you with the bad advice ? I could care less what you use, you are allowed your opinion. But don't come on here disrespecting me, or the forums members. It doesn't look good on you.

I tried pertonix years ago and it didn't work.

the best luck I had was with as many used parts I could find laying around. I did get a electronic conversion harness off ebay and an auto zone remanufactured electronic distributor. 6 years later and almost 30K miles later and it will start right now. I did not upgrade anything else and kept it simple, just ran what is there and is still there now that still works great. Total cost was under 50 bucks (2012 prices)

View attachment 1715442539

That's my motto, KISS ..Keep it simply stupid ( ME not you!).... I admit I am not a fancy person and what works best for me, the cheapest, most dependable.....many times are used parts not the NEW junk parts. OK so I admit I by new brake parts!
Someone above also hit the nail square, he said whatever you use, keep a spare in the trunk!!

Perseus, you asked a question in post #24 about the ballast. Yes I have retained the ballast with Pertronix I on several cars. The 65 Belvedere car I by-past it and it works the same. On the Pertronix II I tried with a ballast but the car ran poorly.Then did the by-past with much better results.

The ballast depends on the coil and the characteristics of the ignition box. I don't think either Pertronix or the old Mopar have any current limiting. A GM HEI module works different. It is much more complicated. For one, the HEI, and I'm referring to GM HEI, NOT the Holden/ Skip White/ ready to run/ import stuff-------the GM modules do NOT DRAW CURRENT when the key is on with the engine stopped. So this protects the coil and module

Also, the HEI has some sort of variable dwell control?? which limits coil current. I ran an HEI module with the factory stock Mopar coil and no ballast. Made much hotter spark than the Mopar ECU and did not hurt the coil.

Depending on the coil, I would for sure run a ballast with Pertronix

Excuse me ?
Who are you again ?
Mopar idiots, stupid people?
My advice is straight from the factory Chrysler engineers, with millions of miles of service, unlike your bubble gum pertronix ignition. And you do not need to change anything on your ignition as long as it is up to snuff. Maybe its you with the bad advice ? I could care less what you use, you are allowed your opinion. But don't come on here disrespecting me, or the forums members. It doesn't look good on you.
Whatever makes your flat bottom, boat, Mr. Know-it-all!

Whatever makes your flat bottom, boat, Mr. Know-it-all!

No need for all the name calling and hostility. So far, I see you're the one who bears the burden of proof. All you've said is how one way is crap and the other is golden and provided no proof. You may well be right, but the way you're presenting your argument makes your position look very weak.

No need for all the name calling and hostility. So far, I see you're the one who bears the burden of proof. All you've said is how one way is crap and the other is golden and provided no proof. You may well be right, but the way you're presenting your argument makes your position look very weak.
Well at least one member here agrees with me! Enjoy the day!

Well at least one member here agrees with me! Enjoy the day!

All I stated was my opinion, nothing more nothing less. Never said, or acted as if I was a know it all. I know a lot yes, but I do not know it all. I have built some award winning cars. I usually don't feed the trolls, but anytime you would like to compare notes, or builds, let me know.

Last edited:
All I stated was my opinion, nothing more nothing less.
As did I and also posted a link to go with it. People always come back and say that they have upgraded the little box but yet they still have problems! WELL, look at what they're using for a regulator compared to the NEW style regulator that I posted in the link. There's a big difference between the 2 regulators and how they behave with electronic ignig. But people are to narrow minded and naïve to understand the difference. Then they give me **** for feeding them bad intel, when they're the idiots because they can't understand the difference between the 2 and still use the wrong regulator.

As did I and also posted a link to go with it. People always come back and say that they have upgraded the little box but yet they still have problems! WELL, look at what they're using for a regulator compared to the NEW style regulator that I posted in the link. There's a big difference between the 2 regulators and how they behave with electronic ignig. But people are to narrow minded and naïve to understand the difference. Then they give me **** for feeding them bad intel, when they're the idiots because they can't understand the difference between the 2 and still use the wrong regulator.

......AND YOU STILL have not answered the question. What does this cause? What is the big emergency? Technically, how does a mechanical regulator supposedly actually result in problems with electronic ignition? WHY is it "the wrong regulator?"

What you are doing here is spouting something you heard and have no proof of. Your words: Meaning what?

"There's a big difference between the 2 regulators and how they behave with electronic ignig."

Have you done research into this, actual tests between different types of regulators, and can you document the effects and causes?

......AND YOU STILL have not answered the question. What does this cause? What is the big emergency? Technically, how does a mechanical regulator supposedly actually result in problems with electronic ignition? WHY is it "the wrong regulator?"

What you are doing here is spouting something you heard and have no proof of. Your words: Meaning what?

"There's a big difference between the 2 regulators and how they behave with electronic ignig."

Have you done research into this, actual tests between different types of regulators, and can you document the effects and causes?
Yeah, by listening to everybody elses complaints that has the same problem that I share this with. I even tried it myself, the vehicle just doesn't like it and runs like crap! Are you happy now? Tell me why did Mopar change regulators about the same time as they were playing around with electronic ignigs. Maybe for the same reason I said?

I put a Pertronix 2 in my 64 with the matching coil they sell. Way easier than all the extra wiring of the HEI/Mopar conversions. Another benefit other than looking stock and removing the ballast is that points distributors are way easier to take apart and recurve. Also no need to purchase a new distributor to convert. I did switch to a solid state VR and have had no problems with my Pertronix at all. Runs and drives way better than the points ever did.

Yeah, by listening to everybody elses complaints that has the same problem that I share this with. I even tried it myself, the vehicle just doesn't like it and runs like crap! Are you happy now? Tell me why did Mopar change regulators about the same time as they were playing around with electronic ignigs. Maybe for the same reason I said?

You've STILL not given a reason as of yet.

well it must be a miracle my car runs at all with its stock charging system, Mopar distributor, HEI module and Fuel injection on that charging system...…...

You've STILL not given a reason as of yet.

Do you need glasses too? Go read it again! I said, "Yeah, by listening to everybody elses complaints that has the same problem that I share this with. I even tried it myself, the vehicle just doesn't like it and runs like crap! "
What don't you understand about that?

well it must be a miracle my car runs at all with its stock charging system, Mopar distributor, HEI module and Fuel injection on that charging system...…...
I'm not there to look and confirm what you have, so I'll stick with the "I doubt that it is" group!

I'm done with your sorry ***. This "warning" has been repeated ever since the MP stuff first came out. People have run these successfully on older regulators. How old are you, 12? You don't seem to be able to answer ONE SIMPLE QUESTION. SPECIFICALLY what problem does this cause? It did not cause my car to "run like crap." Does it generate blue halos that interfere with the police? Does it affect front tire alignment? Does it disrupt the Mars/ Pluto orbital paths? You don't seem to be able to actually SAY anything except "it won't work." OK, you got it pal. You made the ignore list. Bye

I'm done with your sorry ***. This "warning" has been repeated ever since the MP stuff first came out. People have run these successfully on older regulators. How old are you, 12? You don't seem to be able to answer ONE SIMPLE QUESTION. SPECIFICALLY what problem does this cause? It did not cause my car to "run like crap." Does it generate blue halos that interfere with the police? Does it affect front tire alignment? Does it disrupt the Mars/ Pluto orbital paths? You don't seem to be able to actually SAY anything except "it won't work." OK, you got it pal. You made the ignore list. Bye

x2!

giphy (1).gif

Maybe I have a bad ignig ?

-
Back