Engine Build Ideas...PLEASE HELP.

-
No flaming and I certainly am no engine builder, but I did note one mistake in your post ... the '72 340 was a forged crank ... at least half to most of the way through the year. Did not read all the posts to see if the OP noted specifically he has a cast crank, but my '72 (engine replaced with a crate 360 since; 340 in garage) is forged.

~Bill

The whole post is a mistake.
Sounds like pot stirring again.
What sucks is while both of our points are made he keeps going.
So lets take a out a loan on our houses so we can do it his way which to him is the only way, but wait at the end he flips?
And there is nothing wrong with porting your own heads but it does sound like you think were too inept to do this.
What else can't we do with out your help?
I guarantee 80% of the engines your shop builds are chevys and every one knows you have to change every thing to build a comparable 350. apples & oranges.
This kind of thinking sux.
But I can't convince the unconvinced.
So there mopers way and there's every one else's way, the end.

And there is nothing wrong with porting your own heads but it does sound like you think were too inept to do this.

Now that its personal...

What else can't we do with out your help?

"We", can do almost anything. I could paint a portriat , but it would come out likecrap. The trick is knowing what you cando, and what you shouldnt. You'll learn that eventually.

I guarantee 80% of the engines your shop builds are chevys and every one knows you have to change every thing to build a comparable 350. apples & oranges.

You're new, so I'll let you in on a few truths. I dont pay for my life with cars or engines. I have never built anything but Mopars, and never a slant or Hemi. I was an ASE Master Tech, with engine building and performance certs. I've been an assitant parts manager for a Chrysler dealership, and managed a jobber parts store at various times. I started playing with engines 22 years ago, at age 16, by leaving an extension in my first one. I've made every mistake most people can, and probably created a couple unique ones that are all mine.

This kind of thinking sux.
I agree.

But I can't convince the unconvinced.
You will be able to, but you need about 5 more years of humbling yourself and getting a lot more knowledge and wisdom. Don't bring a knife to a gun fight kiddo.

So there mopers way and there's every one else's way, the end.
I'll say this about "my" ways. They come from all kinds of books that I still own and reference. They comer from learning by making mistakes. They come from dealing with snake oil salesmen that moonlight as machinists. They come from me spending a ton of my money over decades fixing my stuff after some "mopar wizard" messed them up. When you start at the bottom and work your way up, you learn what can be fudged and done on the cheap, and what shouldn't due to risk vs. reward. And, they are not "my ways". They are guys like Smilie, Kenny, Tim, "Blow Up Bobby", Herb (McCandless), Mark (Engle), Dan, Harold, Dave, the other Dave, Jeff, Ryan, Curtiss, Dwayne, Mike, and Gary. Those are all shop owners, true performance machinists, and various perfomance engine gurus that allow(ed) me to hang out and race with, work for, and/or learn from them. And I didnt do it by stamping my foot and crying foul.

Sorry it's so wordy, and sorry it's so terribly off base guys. I'm done with this.

Ah ain't it great the west coast version of 340rules :-D

Hope the original poster can get through the fodder and have a good sense of what he wants to accomplish from this mess.

Ah ain't it great the west coast version of 340rules :-D

Hope the original poster can get through the fodder and have a good sense of what he wants to accomplish from this mess.

Don't really know what I want to do yet. Still havn't had any feadback on a supercharger set up like the articles I allready posted. Seems little arguments happen where ever I am. Good to see I'm not in this one I guess.

Obviously things can be done differently, that is why I am asking what can be done. doesn't make anone right or wrong. its just how they would do it. I notice ALOT of posters like to spend other people's money, and say you have to do this, and that. But things can be done differently Your guys's argument reminds me of my big debate on the BB abody build "so you think you want to go BB? read this first" I was on my own in there with other people saying I was wrong, and it isn't that expensive bla bla bla. IT all depends on what YOU can do, and how you can get stuff done!

Phil

Sorry it's so wordy, and sorry it's so terribly off base guys. I'm done with this.

Look, I'm not here to pick on you or even outright disrespect you.
To be honest I do have a lot of respect for older possibly/hopefully more experienced people than my self, Why is age always an issue?????

However mopar parts guy's have always screwed me up, and your a parts guy as it turns out.
I don't know herb and the other guy's names you dropped, I only know a few nitro crackle guy's, ron johnson's[tommy Ivo] dragster and ricks proair 7.80 dragster w/850HP naturally aspirated 351c.
But who cares?
It has nothing to do with giving advise on a 400-450hp sb street motor.
And I have no doubt that cubic dollar can build one hell of a motor.

Really, WE should be giving a starting point for a guy to build from while his machinist can handle the rest and a [specific]cam selection is personal preference if you ask me.
Remember life is class[never stop learning] except when the bell rings your dead.
You never know one day you might be at a show checking out some used w2's and some tall dude comes over and strikes up good conversation about air flow and theory and you might say this is guys alright, and never know that it's me.
Life's funny that way... isn't it?

I guarantee 80% of the engines your shop builds are chevys \

Actually, I bet 90% of the engines Moper builds are Mopars.

The attitude you present to others kinda stinks. It comes off like a "im right and Your wrong" attitude and I know a number of members dont appreciate it. Please feel free to offer your opinion but respect other opinion also.

Actually, I bet 90% of the engines Moper builds are Mopars.

The attitude you present to others kinda stinks. It comes off like a "im right and Your wrong" attitude and I know a number of members dont appreciate it. Please feel free to offer your opinion but respect other opinion also.

So does yours but I don't come in and chastise you about it.
I'm doing my best to meet in the middle and you further agitate.
When I 1st commented on your post you freaked.
I don't agree with either of you and that won't change.

Adam, you just ruined any chance of making good and coming off like a man
And adam he said he sells parts so he doesn't build for a living, so lets forget the 80% & 90% of anything.

Every post I've made [with this exception] has helped someone weather you like it or not.
I don't curse people out or threaten them like your lil buddy's do
and don't insist on anything but that there are different ways & what was set in stone by mopar equipment wise.

I'm not the only one who thinks there is too much false info given on this site [like most] which is why I joined in the first place, to offer a different approach and good advise.
Moper, Like I was trying to say, sorry if I was beating on you because we disagree we shouldn't have to beat on each other.
And at the same time we both have a right to disagree and just leave it at that.
If your still done with this I understand, But I just wanted to let you know.

You know what "dudder", I tried to "make good and come off like man" by PMing you days ago. You never replied.

I'm not the only one who thinks there is too much false info given on this site [like most] which is why I joined in the first place, to offer a different approach and good advise.

My point exactly, You know everything and no one else, apparently on the entire internet has a clue what they are talking about.

Look, I'm not here to pick on you or even outright disrespect you.
To be honest I do have a lot of respect for older possibly/hopefully more experienced people than my self, Why is age always an issue?????

However mopar parts guy's have always screwed me up, and your a parts guy as it turns out.
I don't know herb and the other guy's names you dropped, I only know a few nitro crackle guy's, ron johnson's[tommy Ivo] dragster and ricks proair 7.80 dragster w/850HP naturally aspirated 351c.
But who cares?
It has nothing to do with giving advise on a 400-450hp sb street motor.
And I have no doubt that cubic dollar can build one hell of a motor.

Really, WE should be giving a starting point for a guy to build from while his machinist can handle the rest and a [specific]cam selection is personal preference if you ask me.
Remember life is class[never stop learning] except when the bell rings your dead.
You never know one day you might be at a show checking out some used w2's and some tall dude comes over and strikes up good conversation about air flow and theory and you might say this is guys alright, and never know that it's me.
Life's funny that way... isn't it?

THAT WAS YOU? !

Hey Mrtires24! I've seen many articles like that one about the cheap motor w/ cheap turbo. JMO: You have to know what you're doing and be a very good fabricator to make that work. Besides, it won't last too long, and I think the car owner knows that. It makes good magazine articles. "Run 10's for nothing!" It's sounds as though you're limited in experience. E.G. Not knowing the ex cam abreviation and wanting to know what you get in a machine shop. That's fine! We all have to learn. (I hope I'm not assuming too much.) Maybe ask around and find out what machine shop will work w/ you and not take advantage or be impatient. Maybe a local hot rodder w/ more experience can help you. The combination is important to the way you'll use the car; getting it done right is a whole 'nother story.

Originally Posted by mrtires24
"My 340 is out of a 72, so Ii don't think it has the high flow heads."

Actually, your 72 does have the high flow heads. However, unless someone has already been in there, it has a 1.88 intake valve. There is enough meat on the head to grind it out to the 2.02. Even with the bigger valve, there is some mild porting that can be done to improve the flow. Unless you're very comfortable with your own talent, recommend a pro do all of the head work.

-
Back