Fast EZ EFI

-
I did a ton of research on the EZ kits before I went Gen III hemi, DO IT...(I will be using the FAST XFI self tuning on my hemi) They are great systems, If you read from guys that have it they not only make more power, but have better start-ups, crisper throttle response, and BETTER MPG. How could one go wrong. I have a friend that runs the XFI with the self tuning in a racing ap. HE says he doesnt use the self tuning because he has dyno access, but that it does work well. Horsepower TV has done a write-up of these kits, as well as otehr shows. Abodyjoe has one I think, and there are other members that do as well.

JOE

I looked up reviews on them when I was looking into swapping my 5.7 back to injection from the initial carb install and pretty much heard nothing but good responses. I've got a friend at my work that put one on a pickup he has when the factory computer crapped out and he's pretty happy with it. Said it dialed in nice after driving it around enough. The only potential downside is that you still need ignition control, which may not be an issue depending on what engine you want to put it on.

One thing I'm not sure a lot of people know about is that they make a multi port kit as well that's designed to replace a stock system instead of going with their throttle body setup. It's more or less just the computer and a harness set up for multiple injectors, so it's a pretty nice price ($800-900 I think), though that may be without their fuel pump. Not sure what all applications they offer it for though (I think they had a Chrysler kit). I was looking into that when I got the 5.7, but ran across a used Megasquirt kit and went that route.

i have two friends using it and it works great.

djvcuda ( a member here) is using the dual quad set up of the ez efi. holy crap what a difference in power and drivability there was. i couldn't believe it. i gave him a hand on the install and we really didn't like the hose kit it comes with. too much a pain in the *** getting together. he ended up running alumn line with braided going to the tank and throttle bodies.

the other guy i know using it put it on a chrysler 300. i drove that car too.. very smooth power, starts easy etc... feels like a modern car..

i bought a kit too. haven't installed it yet though. its still sitting in the box along with my 408 kit..lol i have basically the base kit with a regulator. i didn't want their hose kit.

couple things to think about before installing it though.

using the stock tank with stock pick-up and just adding a return line you will most likely run into stalling problems when your low on gas and turning corners. there is no gas reserve like the float bowls on a carb. if the pick up becomes uncovered the car will stall. djv used a tank from rock valley that has a pump built into it.. they take a stock tank for your car and weld a section in that holds th epump and has fittings for supply and return lines. it also uses an off the shelf pump so replacement is easy if the pump ever fails. it also has a spiral looking can thing in it that is around the pump pick-up that holds the gas when going around corners. works very well. i know djv has run as low as 1/8 tank of gas and has had no issues with stalling or anything. the tank/pump combo is not cheap but well worth it in my opinion.

another thing is if you do decide to use your existing tank make sure its spotless inside. any rust or dirt will clogg the injectors. my buddy with 300 had that issue.

you also need clean power for it. seems most guys have to go straight to the battery for power. the fuse box is very noisy and freaks the FAST computer out.

make sure your not putting the EZ on too radical motor. it won't work. i would call comp themselves and make sure your motor is in spec. to run it.

other then those couple things that are easy to avoid its a great set up...

djv's set up..

DSC_8651.jpg

DSC_8673.jpg

DSC_8671.jpg

_DSC3627.jpg

quick video.
[ame="http://youtu.be/0C4Iy0QLKxE"]302 Found[/ame]

Thanks. I love that barracuda. I have a pretty stout 402 stroker with rhs heads from IMM. Probably 500 HP. How much was that tank? Would you buy the basic kit and run your own lines? What sucks about the fuel line kit they have?

yes i would run my own line. the line they give ya is that push on stuff. holy ****. damn near bustin blood vessels putting that crap together. not sure if its all like that or maybe they sent him the wrong fittings or something. soaked it in boiling water, heated it and everything and that **** wasn't going all the way together. so yes, i bought a basic kit plus their regulator and fuel filter.

when i called for the tank (need a new one for my car anyway) it was like $750. you can buy just that weld in section and weld it in yourself too.

yes i would run my own line. the line they give ya is that push on stuff. holy ****. damn near bustin blood vessels putting that crap together. not sure if its all like that or maybe they sent him the wrong fittings or something. soaked it in boiling water, heated it and everything and that **** wasn't going all the way together. so yes, i bought a basic kit plus their regulator and fuel filter.

when i called for the tank (need a new one for my car anyway) it was like $750. you can buy just that weld in section and weld it in yourself too.

Wow that is a spendy tank. Looks nice though. I need a new tank too. Do you think my motor is too much for this kit?

Wow that is a spendy tank. Looks nice though. I need a new tank too. Do you think my motor is too much for this kit?

not sure. i know its getting close. i would call comp. to make sure. has to do with the cam specs and all.

a friend called that fastman guy (against our advice) and that clown sold him a kit that won't work (its the EZ with the injectors that go into the intake). i know my buddy listed everything in that 528 of his for him and that clown still some him the kit. now that it doesn't run right fastman says the cam is not efi friendly. i know i would be pissed. if my buddy would have known he would have spent the extra money and went to the next kit up.

not sure. i know its getting close. i would call comp. to make sure. has to do with the cam specs and all.

a friend called that fastman guy (against our advice) and that clown sold him a kit that won't work (its the EZ with the injectors that go into the intake). i know my buddy listed everything in that 528 of his for him and that clown still some him the kit. now that it doesn't run right fastman says the cam is not efi friendly. i know i would be pissed. if my buddy would have known he would have spent the extra money and went to the next kit up.

Ok. I guess I will call them. BTW where did you buy the basic kit? Thanks.

Another place that makes tanks is Hot Rod City Garage there in California. I got an all aluminum tank from them for my EFI build. It's a really nice looking piece will pump and all. I think it was $800 for the tank, pump, and a new sender shipped to me in the midwest. You can get some custom work done on the tank as well like deeper sumps for more capacity and whatnot, just have to call and chat with them. You'd probably save $60 or so if you could pick it up yourself instead of shipping it too.

I think most EFI computers will tell you to wire straight to the battery, you need a real steady feed line for it to calculate injector timing values. I know that was one problem my friend at work had. He fought and fought with it when he first installed it and once he changed the wiring it started working for him.

A friend called that fastman guy (against our advice) and that clown sold him a kit that won't work (its the EZ with the injectors that go into the intake). i know my buddy listed everything in that 528 of his for him and that clown still some him the kit. now that it doesn't run right fastman says the cam is not efi friendly. i know i would be pissed. if my buddy would have known he would have spent the extra money and went to the next kit up.

Well if the "Fastman" you are talking about is me - then I'm bothered! I work very hard to make sure my customers get what they need and I don't hold back if I think they're expectations are unrealistic.

The FAST XFI is the top of the line and will work with any engine, but ever since FAST brought out the EZ (non-laptop) unit, people have been asking specifically for that. Since the EZ (and all non-laptop systems) uses vacuum as its only indicator of engine load I always ask what the idle vacuum is, and most times the customer doesn't know.

If the idle vacuum was too low, I would have gladly taken the EZ system back for a 100% credit toward the XFI. And I answer the phone to give tech support because very often there are other issues. Either way, I want people to be happy with their investment.

Okay - My rant is over ...

I love the idea of the ez efi, but it bugs me that the ez efi has no provisions for running nitrous or forced induction. That completely takes it out of its competitive level because holley and professional products off similarly priced efi kits that can at the very least handle a nitrous system.

Another place that makes tanks is Hot Rod City Garage there in California. I got an all aluminum tank from them for my EFI build. It's a really nice looking piece will pump and all. I think it was $800 for the tank, pump, and a new sender shipped to me in the midwest. You can get some custom work done on the tank as well like deeper sumps for more capacity and whatnot, just have to call and chat with them. You'd probably save $60 or so if you could pick it up yourself instead of shipping it too.

I think most EFI computers will tell you to wire straight to the battery, you need a real steady feed line for it to calculate injector timing values. I know that was one problem my friend at work had. He fought and fought with it when he first installed it and once he changed the wiring it started working for him.

I may have to wait on doing this and run my demon for awhile. The tank and the kit and all adds up. I will do it someday down the road.

Everyone speaks well of the FAST EFI. The main drawback is cost, but most after-market EFI kits are in the $1800 - $3000 range. For a used kit, I see the similar Holley Commander 950 TBI kit go for $600-$700 used on ebay often. I got one for $600 off craigslist. There is also a cheaper MPI version (no intake, just harness). The Commander 950 also controls spark if you install a GM or Ford TBI era distributor-type ignition.

Re fuel supply. True that if your tank gets low, a sudden stop can slosh the fuel and starve the pump. I have had a Holley Pro-jection TBI in my Newport since 1996 and it does that if I get <4 gal. Rare, and it has to be a really hard stop. I just try to keep the tank fuller.

I don't want to thread steal or anything and I havn't done any research yet but I was wondering if these were possible to be used with boost?

I don't want to thread steal or anything and I havn't done any research yet but I was wondering if these were possible to be used with boost?

The EZ-EFI is N/A only and then they have the very expensive XFI that can handle forced induction/nitrous.

Its a shame because otherwise it looks like a great system.

I'm not sure any of the systems that are exclusively self tuning can handle nitrous or forced induction yet, but most that are manually programmable can. MSD makes a self tuning dang near all in one system that looks like a carb now (the Atomix or something I believe), that you pretty much just bolt in place of a carb, add O2 and coolant temp sensors, and a high pressure pump and off you go. MSD was asked if it could support forced induction and they said it was built with a MAP sensor that could handle boost, but the system couldn't just yet, possibly a software update or maybe some injector replacement down the road since a lot of people are asking.

However, you may be able to run a plate style nitrous system that delivers fuel and nitrous under a TBI setup (in my opinion at least). That way your nitrous system would be independent of the fuel system. Not sure how the cooler charge in the manifold might mess with the EFI though. The trick would be trying to keep the O2 readings the same with nitrous as without so the computer doesn't think anything is different when you hit the button. If you add extra fuel after the EFI you have to make sure you add exactly the right amount of air to burn it as well, that way the system wouldn't know any different (theoretically).

For example, on a mass air flow system, if you have a vacuum leak after the mass air sensor, the engine will run lean because it doesn't think that the extra air is there (didn't come through the sensor), so it doesn't add any extra fuel. But if you add an apporpriate amount of fuel to go with that air manually by some means, the engine will run correctly again, even though the EFI isn't the one correcting it. If you add nitrous to the system (oxygen effectively), you have to be the one to add the fuel as well, not the EFI system, similar to if you just had a carb (it doesn't really care what happens under it).

I'm not sure any of the systems that are exclusively self tuning can handle nitrous or forced induction yet, but most that are manually programmable can. MSD makes a self tuning dang near all in one system that looks like a carb now (the Atomix or something I believe), that you pretty much just bolt in place of a carb, add O2 and coolant temp sensors, and a high pressure pump and off you go. MSD was asked if it could support forced induction and they said it was built with a MAP sensor that could handle boost, but the system couldn't just yet, possibly a software update or maybe some injector replacement down the road since a lot of people are asking.

However, you may be able to run a plate style nitrous system that delivers fuel and nitrous under a TBI setup (in my opinion at least). That way your nitrous system would be independent of the fuel system. Not sure how the cooler charge in the manifold might mess with the EFI though. The trick would be trying to keep the O2 readings the same with nitrous as without so the computer doesn't think anything is different when you hit the button. If you add extra fuel after the EFI you have to make sure you add exactly the right amount of air to burn it as well, that way the system wouldn't know any different (theoretically).

For example, on a mass air flow system, if you have a vacuum leak after the mass air sensor, the engine will run lean because it doesn't think that the extra air is there (didn't come through the sensor), so it doesn't add any extra fuel. But if you add an apporpriate amount of fuel to go with that air manually by some means, the engine will run correctly again, even though the EFI isn't the one correcting it. If you add nitrous to the system (oxygen effectively), you have to be the one to add the fuel as well, not the EFI system, similar to if you just had a carb (it doesn't really care what happens under it).

My understanding though is that the ez-efi isnt programmable. Its a set/forget system that's good for NA only engines. The holley avenger efi and the PP powerjection are self tuning, but also tunable to handle nitrous/forced induction.

Yeah, the EZ EFI isn't really programmable which is why you would effectively need a complete separate fuel management system for the nitrous working in tandem so the EZ doesn't think the engine is doing anything different, which I highly doubt would be very easy to make and manage.

The EZ does give you very limited programming, but only air fuel ratios at idle, cruise, and wide open throttle from what I understand from my friend at work. You can pick the A/F ratio you want for those three situations and it interprets and tunes the fuel map itself based on that input.

That being said, if you set the wide open setting for say 12:1 and calibrate your nitrous setup so that the extra fuel injected with the nitrous (separate from the EFI system, similar to a carb plate style setup) keeps the 12:1 ratio, the system wouldn't even know you were using nitrous in theory, but I'm not sure you could keep that ratio steady enough for the computer to not freak out.

Seems like a lot of trouble just to own a system that costs more than the competitors for a "cool" looking TBI.

-
Back