Feeler Thread Tubular K Members for Stock suspensions.

-
You can swith the lower ball jount arms side to side and make the steering in the front.

Willwood has a mustang II spindle with a bolt on steering arm designed to be switched from a front or to a rear steer, I believe the alterkation uses that spindle. The factory ball joint / steering arm will not work properly that way.
If you have ever drove a vehicle that has a rack installed with poor geometry , they are not comfortable to drive it steers itself when you hit a dip in the road, and usually have no turning radius at all :

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/Swapping_to_rack_and_pinion_steering

Willwood has a mustang II spindle with a bolt on steering arm designed to be switched from a front or to a rear steer, I believe the alterkation uses that spindle.

i don't think the alter-k uses that one. they have a modified mustang style spindle. no bolt on steering arm. its all welded.

that throws the geometry off. may get away with it on a straight line car but not one if ya like turns.. :)

This bring a good point.. While everyone likes a good deal when you get something like an Alterkation you also get all Bills geometry knowlege and numbers. Bill is incredible and knows mopars like the back of his hand.. especially a-body. Now I'm not saying this guy doesnt know what hes doing but for my suspension needs I'll take RMS. Tube with stock spindles but rack or old style box.. I have a bottle of this snake oil for sale and it will fix anything that troubles you.. just 10 bucks.. LOL Just kidding really but you see my point.

This bring a good point.. While everyone likes a good deal when you get something like an Alterkation you also get all Bills geometry knowlege and numbers. Bill is incredible and knows mopars like the back of his hand.. especially a-body. Now I'm not saying this guy doesnt know what hes doing but for my suspension needs I'll take RMS. Tube with stock spindles but rack or old style box.. I have a bottle of this snake oil for sale and it will fix anything that troubles you.. just 10 bucks.. LOL Just kidding really but you see my point.

No, I don't see your point. You're totally dismissing this other option without knowing all the facts and details. Who says this other guy doesn't know what he's doing when it comes to steering geometry? You? This other set-up's not even out yet and already some of you are nay sayers. Gotta at least give the guy a chance.

Yes Bill does indeed know what he's doing. There's no denying that. But to make it sound like he's the only one to go to? BS. There are plenty of others to go to. Why not one more?

I remember Ehrenberg dismissing the Alter K set-up time and time again in Mopar Action. I also remember reading the article in Mopar Muscle where they checked out the Alter K set-up and measured all the suspension geometry angles and deemed it was good to go. Anyone can measure the angles. It's not rocket science if you have the right equipment to do so. With today's "I'm gonna sue" mentality, I'm sure things are gonna be measured and checked over and over again.

I just hope the welds are better than that stuff that CAP was putting out. :angry7:

Wylde1.

Wylde1, your reply was complimentary to the magazine trade and others up until you mentioned CAP

Quote: I just hope the welds are better than that stuff that CAP was putting out.

Key word in that sentence is " was "

Has CAP changed and have all the other fabrication businesses at one time or another always been top of the line so to speak?

Just asking

I am sure it does. Here is a link where they put in a dakota rack and put the ball joints on opposite sides:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=12203

no one said it can't be done. but how does the car actually act in normal driving conditions on the road? thats the question. like i said it may be great in a straight line but not so good when ya turn the wheel. i have a couple buddies with older duster race cars. both have an old tube suspension with what looks to be stock style ball jonts reversed. they go straight as an arrow at the track, but damn when they turn the wheel to pull into the burn out box you have to see how the tires lay over. just the way it is. bad geometry for anything street related but good at the track.

Been doing this for 15 years building chassis components and My builder of these parts is endorsed by Ma Mopar herself so no snake oil here.

http://www.gofastmopars.net/K_Frames.htm

anyone ever hear of these...more for racing

I just emailed Bob on Saturday. He has quit making those K frames. Turns out they didn't sell well, even though he engineered them to the max and had proper Ackermann angle and zero bump steer. Unfortunately they are exactly what I am looking for. I am trying to see if he will sell the steering arms so guys like us can get proper steering geometry for our stock k-frames converted to front steer.

Okay, so....How far along are we with this? Any sneak peeks? I just wanna see a little something already....

I just emailed Bob on Saturday. He has quit making those K frames. Turns out they didn't sell well, even though he engineered them to the max and had proper Ackermann angle and zero bump steer. Unfortunately they are exactly what I am looking for. I am trying to see if he will sell the steering arms so guys like us can get proper steering geometry for our stock k-frames converted to front steer.

race only unit wasnt it? Makes it hard to sell a ton.

Yeah it was a drag race piece. I realize there is a limited audience for it, but I am apart of that audience. I would love to have one. Good luck John I hope this all works out for all of us.

I'll let you guys know whats up here soon. My builder had a shipment of parts damaged on a ups truck going to the mopar challenger '10 builds so he got a bit backed up remaking a ton of parts.

I would be interested in a low buck alternative for a lighter weight streetable K-member. You could still use a performance alignment and tubular upper control arms with performance pads on factory disk brakes and still have a killer set up. I like the idea because it is something that you could work on over time. If any one says you cannot handle with stock style suspension geometry just look up the green brick valiant.

I bought a set of those arms separately and should be installing them by the end of the year, They allow for a front steer without flipping the steering arms and give the ability to adjust as well,they are a well built piece

Count me as interested, depending upon price. I'm trying to put a B motor in a 71 Demon and possibly going to an RB at a later date.

Thanks

John,

Im interested in one as well... however I have the RMS tubular A arms and wilwood brakes. My main objective is for the car to be 80/20 strip/street. I have to get custom headers made for my W9 heads so clearance and space is of the essence.

-
Back