First time out

-

Toms70Duster

Reaction score
Went to the track after several years of putting parts together on a very small budget. Watching it and doing it sure is different...lol. I need to learn how to launch. The first few times I tried foot braking it and it took off line a snail. The last run I tried the line lock and it launched alot better. My question is should I hold it with the line lock at partial throttle then floor it before I let go or try and let go and floor it at the same time. Please bear with a newbie but a fast learner.

Myself, and everone else I know, that don't have a transbrake, usually foot brake from a fast idle or up against the brakes as much RPM as the car will hold. Off idle usually gives a better launch (for me) because of the better flash stall, but this may slow the RT's. Glad you're having fun.

Are you running a stick or an automatic? The only time I've seen people use the line lock to stage is when they're rowing. Otherwise you're getting off with one foot on the brake and one on the gas. You'll have to play with it to find out what your car likes best, some like to leave off-idle like lenweiler said, others like to be rev'd up. My car happens to like leaving at around 3000 RPM, I keep my left foot on the brake and the right on the gas, when the last amber comes on I jump off the brake and floor the gas.

I have an automatic with a 3500 stall. It has a 509 Mopar cam with 10.5 compression. Elderbrock heads that have been ported and 1.6 roller rockers. A Mopar single plane intake, TTI headers, Holly 750 and a 4.30 gear. I ran it 7 times but had to get out of it around the 1000 foot mark because the drive shaft is out of balance. The best time was 13.82 @ 95.3. When I learn how to launch and fix the drive shaft perhaps it will run 12's. Thanks for your suggestions, I guess seat time is the answer.

Mopar Madness 2008.jpg

Cool car!!What sizes and how much for the rims and rubber??Check out my vid. in racers forum under,Ran it yesterday.Alot of suggestions from the members on Launching.Best of luck!!

Great video!! It has a 20 over 360. The fronts I bought 3-4 years ago..lol can't remember the cost. The rears are 28x13.5 and fit really nice (super stock springs moved in) could fit a 29" with no problem. The rears with both tires and rims (15" with 5" backspacing) and four sets of lug nuts were $1008 from Jegs.

I,ve been lookin at summit 5 star like the weld ones but a hell of a lot cheaper.I,m running 26.5x10 on rear might go alittle bigger.I need to fill that empty wheel well!LOL.Do you have MSD?I,m gonna try the 2 step limiter for a better launch on the 4 speed.It should just plug in where the rev limit chip goes.

Yes, I have a MSD 6al. I shift at 6500. I have heard that running a rev limiter and or trans break changes the class you can run from modified to pro or super pro. I can't afford to keep up with these guys with the delay boxes etc. My car is street legal so I can run in the street class too. I got home, took it off the trailer and drove to the 7-11 lol. Now to save up for a drive shaft, then back to the track.

I still take mine off the trailer and go for a spin around town.Jeez,I could sell neck bracesLMAO!!!!

Nice car! Sounds like you're having fun.

FYI, my local driveshaft shop built me a new driveshaft for less than $200. They used my yokes and NOTHING else. New shaft, new u-joints, and balanced it. They said my old one looked like someone had made it in their driveway (probably true)!!

I have an automatic with a 3500 stall. It has a 509 Mopar cam with 10.5 compression. Elderbrock heads that have been ported and 1.6 roller rockers. A Mopar single plane intake, TTI headers, Holly 750 and a 4.30 gear. I ran it 7 times but had to get out of it around the 1000 foot mark because the drive shaft is out of balance. The best time was 13.82 @ 95.3. When I learn how to launch and fix the drive shaft perhaps it will run 12's. Thanks for your suggestions, I guess seat time is the answer.

Awesome looking car you have there and runs great to.If you dont mind me asking what was your 1/8 mile times?Thanks Mopar658)

Nice car! Sounds like you're having fun.

FYI, my local driveshaft shop built me a new driveshaft for less than $200. They used my yokes and NOTHING else. New shaft, new u-joints, and balanced it. They said my old one looked like someone had made it in their driveway (probably true)!!

That's about what I figured, 200-250. Hope I can save that much before the season ends..lol. I have a couple of friends checking their stock for one that will fit.

The best 1/8 mile was a 8.674 @ 77.47. There's alot more in it, I just need to learn how to drive it..lol.
sounds like a nice combo and yes i think there is more in it. The reasion i asked the 1/8 mile time is because i took my dart last weekend to the track for the frist time and ran a best of 9.09 at 78 in the 1/8 mile. How big of stahl converter are you useing? here is a pick of my dart. thanks Mopar658)

100_0406.jpg

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to run 12s with that... but you've got to get your driveshaft fixed first.

My 360 with a 513/533 Lunati cam, X heads, dual plane intake, crappy headers, Holley 750, PTC 9.5 converter, 727, 3.91 gears in an 8-1/4 has gone a bet of 12.21 @ 112 without the exhaust, and 12.35 @ 107 with full exhaust.

sounds like a nice combo and yes i think there is more in it. The reasion i asked the 1/8 mile time is because i took my dart last weekend to the track for the frist time and ran a best of 9.09 at 78 in the 1/8 mile. How big of stahl converter are you useing? here is a pick of my dart. thanks Mopar658)

Sweet

What were the 60' times?
3500 converter but is it 8, 9, 10" as each will react different and can require different launch techniques
timing? initial and full advance, in at what rpm?
jetting?

Don't get discouraged by initial passes and an et slower than what you think you should run. My Duster is one of the slowesr cars I have owned that required me to do the most amount of tuning and modification, but you learn alot from that. There are many factors that can effect your timeslip. You just need to focus on one at a time and correct each individually.

First, and most important, make sure it is safe before worrying about the et's. Fix the driveshaft vibration so you don't end up in the wall or worse.

I think by working out the kinks, and getting a bigger carb, you have 11s in it. The diameter of the convertor question was excellent too. If you have a 10", try getting a good 8" at some point...

The drive shaft is balanced!!! Going to run it next weekend. Wish me luck. The converter is a 9". Why does the size of the converter matter? Is a 3500 stall that much different in a 9" than in a 10"?

-
Back