fm3 coded 340 auto duster resto...............

-

340plot

the bushy bush
Reaction score
well, i did not start this thread last week when i got the car cause as soon as i got back, i learned of some finaicial problems heading my way this week. it is not done, but i feel i can overcome it, so, here goes!!!!!!

background story.

for the last two months, i have seen a duster on craigslist in roanoke va, with a title of " fm3 340 auto 70 duster"
i thought it must be a scam, at only 2k. well, i tried to caontact the guy for more than a month, to no avail.
just last week, i just happen to see someone posted it on here for sale and i jumped on the p.m, to see if i could really get a real fm3 duster, and that is a true 340 car to boot!.
so, he pm'ed me back,a nd gave me a number to call him at. i called and we set up a day to go look at it, keep in mind, i was thinking it still may be a scam.
so i get there,a nd there is no sign of the guy. wait for over an hour, and nothing. i called him from a pay phone like 4 times, still nothing. at this point, it is almost 10 pm with my wife and two kids creaming at me for taking them on these car chases, as my wife calls them.lol
anyway, i finally get a hold of him, and he was just running late.
he opens up the garage, i look around the front glass(now removed), and see the pink, and walk to fender tag, and it says fm3. so at this point, i do not want to burst out of my poker face, and i politley tell him i want the car. but after talking for like an hour, i see that it is hard for him to let go, as he must have some attachment to it in some way, and i understood that. so, he asked for one night to be sure he wanted to sell it. and i was cool with that, even though deep down in my heart, i was dreading that decision. I WANTED TO HAND HIM A DEPOSIT AND GET A RECIEPT ASAP!
but i was polite about it, and we talked on about all kinds of mopar crap.
i did not sleep that night, too full of excitement of thinking how would i go about rediong this car, and on the other hand, how mad i would be if he decided not to sell!
i waited all day for the call, but did not get it till later in the day. he sounded like he had an answer, but not something i wanted to hear.
" joe, come get it, it is yours". i was estatic to say the least.
he tols me the story how he bought it off a guy taking it to the junk yard, but as soon as he showed interest into it, the junk man slammed him with a big price tag. at this point, it did have the origional engine in the trunk.
i do knot know the exact part, but something like, from where he bought it, to it arriving at his house, the junk man had sold the engine out of the trunk to a guy named possum, in clifton forge va.
maybe ill find the guy, but oh well, if i do not.
MY PLANS
if i could of gotten the origiinal engine with it, i would like to have done a total resto, with all new, or reproduced parts.
but with out it being # correct, it now leaves me some room to personlize it. i am now going to go with the 71 340 look, with the s.t grille, stripe.
i am thinking of putting a decent running 318 or 360.
even though it is a real 340 car, i think it will hold it own value with any small block under the hood

here is some pics of it comming home

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 2,956
  • 004.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 2,900
  • 010.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 2,914
here it is in my garage, pulling it apart, and photoing all the work it needs.
the biggest concern is the driver side frame rail. it had a tree trying to grow up through it at one time right under driver side floorboard. all the other rails and floors, and trunk, trunk drop-offs are solid. just this one area. i do not know whether to cut out the area, and cap with one off donor car, or take out the whole frame rail.

next, would be the stupid idiot whao actually took a saw-zall to the rear quarters, to get a bigger tire in there!. also did it to the perfect set of fenders on it. they were straight as an arrow, but hacked up to fit the ugly 15 inch keystones under the front

Attachments

• 031.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 2,889
  • 030.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 2,831
  • 029.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 2,876
  • 028.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 2,874
  • 027.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 2,899
  • 026.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 2,885
  • 025.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 2,892
  • 024.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 2,890
  • 023.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 2,889
  • 022.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 2,906
also, this car never had a vynal top from the factory, as someone put it on there. if you look at the a-pillar, they did not even locate it in the right spot.
i am on the fence whether to put one back on, or not. suggestions??????????????lol

oh, and do not forget the yellow donor car!

Attachments

• 038.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 2,793
  • 039.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 2,786
  • 041.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 2,770
  • 040.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 2,788
  • 037.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 2,812
  • 036.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 2,820
  • 035.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 2,811
  • 034.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 2,801
  • 033.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 2,839
  • 032.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 2,831
I would find a donor car frame rail and weld that in. Just drill out all the spot welds and swap the new on on.

well, the scamp i picked up has perfect rails, but looks like a horrible job to do!

It is just spot welds. Will take time that is all. Being that is a real 340 pink car it would be worth it. Then that problem is gone forever.

Just drop the k-member and start drilling the spot welds out.
It is really not a hard job just time consuming.

Nice find, I have a complete 72 duster that I will use as a parts car for my 72 340 car, may have parts that you could use that I won't be using. Don't live but a couple of hours east of you. Pm me with things you need and I may be able to help u. Parts car is 318 auto and is complete. just sayn......

I would also just take the time and replace the whole frame rail.I would not put a vinyl top back on it either.I am not big om FM3 cars but it does look better on a smaller a body with some black to go with it.I think it will be a neat car once it is finished.Congrats on the rare find...

Jim

no, it has k-h brakes up front. someone put the bbp in the rear. i am going to swap them out for the orig.sbp axles

Cool find ; but , I must admit some apprehension on my part here ...

- No radio code on the fender tag (should have an "R11" ) , but it obviously *had* a radio , per the factory dash cutout ;

- "FM3" on the tag ... first time I've seen this colour actually coded , as all the Special Order paint codes I've seen were "999" , and the *actual* code only on the build sheet(s)

The vinyl top -- again not coded -- could've been installed off-line . I have seen this before ( on an L.A.-built '69 Dart and a Hamtramck-built '71 Duster ) . Typically if the roof's finish doesn't pass muster , the car would be pulled-off , a top added , and the top's code / addition hand-written on the build sheet under "Remarks" .

I'm not knocking your find , so please don't get me wrong here .
Even if it's not a 'real' FM3 Duster 340 , you still paid the right price for a 'regular' 340 car :glasses7:

it does have r11 on the fender tag!. the fender tag matches the the vin plate, door sticker, speaker tray in rear, rad support. and in every inch of the car you can see the pink, even under the dash metal and all.

so please enlighten me. not being rude. i just want to be sure it is a real one. everything i have seen does point to real.
also, i looked on pantherpink.com, and they all have fm3 written right on the tags.......

here is that fender tag once more

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 2,702
about the vynal top. if you look at the a-pillars, you can see someone put the top on wrong. it is not down far enough to be factory. it is over 1 inch too high up the post

My bad ... I didn't see the R11 at first look ; so used to seeing it on the top-row of codes I guess .

As far as the FM3 goes : maybe it was subjective to the carline . The few FM3's I've seen were "B" & "E" bodies ; and in those instances , "999" was on the tag .
The last 'real' FM3 I saw was a '71 Challenger R/T 383 Magnum . It had "999" (which could mean anything , of course) , plus about 5 repaints.
The car's owner and I removed the back seat and found the build sheet : pay dirt "FM3" .
This was back in 1992 .

I've always wondered why Chrysler didn't promote this colour better , especially with the fledgling "N.O.W." movement happening ; could've boosted sales to all those *wince* Gloria Allred *wince* types out there !

Personally , I'd like to see another 340 between those Shear Panels. Maybe even a 390" stroker , backed by that column-shift 727 .

Good luck with your resto :cheers:

well, my goal is to completly redo the body,a nd then worry about the enine after the car is repainted and a completly done roller

so, engine is still up in the air. i was just thinking of gas prices. lol

heres a couple pics of a guy i know,, real FM3 340 4 SPEED duster... was lime when he bought it,,,tore the carpets out found it was orignally pink,,,its now a over the top super clean prostreet car now

Attachments

• dales duster.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 2,685
  • fm3039_01.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 2,689
Nice find. Had a chance at a fm3 318 duster, years ago, and passed. Kick myself now for not buying it. I have a bare 70 340 block from a car a buddy of mine totaled. It has some damage to the rear of the block if I remember right. The machined surfaces are ok. It still ran after the wreck. If interested pm me. I'll hook you up cheap and it would give you a date correct engine block at least.

no, it has k-h brakes up front. someone put the bbp in the rear. i am going to swap them out for the orig.sbp axles
ive got a set of sbp abody axles with a new set of green bearings installed on them if your interested.

-
Back