fm3 coded 340 auto duster resto...............

-
yea this started out as one of those tnt carports, cost 975 for 22x20 an then i put a 20x10 shed attached to the back, and now just put a front on it!. the concrete i poured a while ago, and it alone cost me 800.00! but in the cold, i need a enclosed garage, espcia;;y i will be getting the pinky media blasted within a week

yea this started out as one of those tnt carports, cost 975 for 22x20 an then i put a 20x10 shed attached to the back, and now just put a front on it!. the concrete i poured a while ago, and it alone cost me 800.00! but in the cold, i need a enclosed garage, espcia;;y i will be getting the pinky media blasted within a week

we are hoping to be done very soon week or two,,,possibly have gravle delivered for the floor,,,then he has some larger metal flooring that is sorta tongue and groove,,then we will have to seal the cracks like you did,,,either foam,,,or great stuff,,,working on a 1948 dodge in there with a keosene heater,,burrr

I have seen that done a lot in NC

yea. about half the cost of a wood built garage!

WOW i just seen a fm3 dodge dart 1970 on ebag. it needs a reato, but i am going to bid on it.
i would love to have a real 70 340 fm3 duster AND a real 70 fm3 340 dart!

yea. about half the cost of a wood built garage!

WOW i just seen a fm3 dodge dart 1970 on ebag. it needs a reato, but i am going to bid on it.
i would love to have a real 70 340 fm3 duster AND a real 70 fm3 340 dart!

Cool Let us know if you get it.

Looks familiar lol

have one in my duster model car "collection" must be pretty rare because this is the only one I have seen in this paint scheme.

IMG_20111031_053931.jpg

IMG_20111031_053919.jpg

This is such a great thread. I can't believe a scrapper was gonna haul it off...completely stupid. I'd put it back to original- with a 340 or 360 that looks like a '70 340. I think that only nine 340 Dusters were made in 1970 with the FM3 code. Very rare indeed. You won't see another one.

I have heard that only nine 340 duster were made in FM3 as well. I have personally seen 6 of them, two were in my hometown of New bedford, Pa. My buddy had one, it was a four speed but someone had put a 440 auto in it and was set up for drag racing. He sold it to a guy in the Pittsburgh, Pa area I think. The other still resides in a guys personal junkyard and more than likely will never bee sold. It was a 340 auto I believe and it was totaled when it was a year or two old and is low milage. I did see one at the nats this past august that was a 1971 999 code car which could be a one of one since they were only supossed to made in 1970 but who knows since they made 1971 dart GT's and made 1971 FM3 darts in canada also.

there was a CHiPs episode with a '70 Swinger 340 in FM3 . I'd say without hesitation that it was legit , given the decade / year that CHiPs was on air .
wonder where that car is today ?

I'll see if I can find a clip of the episode and post it here .

A lot more than 9 FM3 Duster 340's were made.

Someone wrote that in an ad and might be using some of a certain persons "registered" numbers.

I say no vinyl top.

well, i was told there were 208 i think 70 fm3 dusters. but that includes /6 and 318 cars. so, how many really still out there? i really do not care, as i have one.lol

we are hoping to be done very soon week or two,,,possibly have gravle delivered for the floor,,,then he has some larger metal flooring that is sorta tongue and groove,,then we will have to seal the cracks like you did,,,either foam,,,or great stuff,,,working on a 1948 dodge in there with a keosene heater,,burrr

I hear you on kerosene heaters, my 12 x 20 80 year old shack, has a wood floor, which bowes up and down as much as 8".
I insulated the walls, and threw some celtex on the the roof.
Your feet still freeze when it gets below 20F.
I have a 150,000 btu turbo heater, but you still will freeze in the winter.

A lot more than 9 FM3 Duster 340's were made.

Someone wrote that in an ad and might be using some of a certain persons "registered" numbers.

I say no vinyl top.

It's still not a common a body. The only other one that I know of is in Canada. There were more than nine FM3 Dusters made in '70, but probably not with the 340. I don't know the exact number for 100% but how many are left is the real question??

yea, here is the qestion i had to ask myself.
it was either i re-sell the car to someone else on here, that would do a good resto on it like it needs/deserves.........................or
do i myself do a correct resto on it, and take it down to a bare shell, and start from there.
i have not, in all the car i have redone, tackled one this exstensive. i have pulled alot of them apart, but never had one down to the bare hulk, and restored.
i am going to do all the sheetmetal myself, driver side frame rail, and driver side front floorpan. they are the only areas of concern. i am contiplating of making a rotesirie, and removing all the old undercoat, but the underneath is so clean, that i have decided that it will not require to be on a rotiserie.
i was going to just piece the car back to gether, to make a nice driver, but i think that is un-fitting of the car.
now do not get me wrong. when this car is done, i still tend to drive it all the time as long as it is not snowing or raining!. i want to be able to enjoy this car.
when i am done, it will still not be a trophy car, but it also will not be just slapped to- gether. i actually would love for it to be a surviver clone! lmao

on a better note, i have decided after listening to my wife and you guys, i am going to look for a date code correct 340 to put back in the car, WITHOUT THE BLACK VYNAL TOP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well got the trunk blasted, and now doing under the hood, and floors. will not be blasting the panels on the car, yet rather d.a sanding them down, to prevent any warping

Attachments

• 012.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 831
  • 013.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 822
  • 014.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 827
There were roughly 414 FM3 Pink 70 Duster 340's...I know...I have one.
It was one of the HIGHEST production models in that color.
I Know of about 20 of them. THere are Two here in town. Mine and Daryl's.
www.pantherpink.com
The last two MCG has been highlighting a 9000 mile pink survivor 70 340 Duster details.

Its nice to see another saved...now do it per the fender tag!

Its a 1970 color - coded FM3...there are a handfull of 1971's painted pink with 999 special order code...since FM3 pink as dropped for 71 and not really available.

...The Pink 340 Dart on Ebay in Saskatchewan was on Kijiji...he wanted $12,000.00 needing a full resto....

yea, here is the qestion i had to ask myself.
it was either i re-sell the car to someone else on here, that would do a good resto on it like it needs/deserves.........................or
do i myself do a correct resto on it, and take it down to a bare shell, and start from there.
i have not, in all the car i have redone, tackled one this exstensive. i have pulled alot of them apart, but never had one down to the bare hulk, and restored.
i am going to do all the sheetmetal myself, driver side frame rail, and driver side front floorpan. they are the only areas of concern. i am contiplating of making a rotesirie, and removing all the old undercoat, but the underneath is so clean, that i have decided that it will not require to be on a rotiserie.
i was going to just piece the car back to gether, to make a nice driver, but i think that is un-fitting of the car.
now do not get me wrong. when this car is done, i still tend to drive it all the time as long as it is not snowing or raining!. i want to be able to enjoy this car.
when i am done, it will still not be a trophy car, but it also will not be just slapped to- gether. i actually would love for it to be a surviver clone! lmao

on a better note, i have decided after listening to my wife and you guys, i am going to look for a date code correct 340 to put back in the car, WITHOUT THE BLACK VYNAL TOP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep the car you will never find another like it.

well, i am glad to know that about that dart ebay. not worth close to 12k. so it is out of my range, so no sence of continue bidding on it!

There were roughly 414 FM3 Pink 70 Duster 340's...I know...I have one.
It was one of the HIGHEST production models in that color.
I Know of about 20 of them. THere are Two here in town. Mine and Daryl's.
www.pantherpink.com
The last two MCG has been highlighting a 9000 mile pink survivor 70 340 Duster details.

Its nice to see another saved...now do it per the fender tag!

Its a 1970 color - coded FM3...there are a handfull of 1971's painted pink with 999 special order code...since FM3 pink as dropped for 71 and not really available.

...The Pink 340 Dart on Ebay in Saskatchewan was on Kijiji...he wanted $12,000.00 needing a full resto....

You are lucky to have those rides! :blob: Any pics of the Duster??
You can still bet that there isn't 414 left!

well, finished blasting under the hood.
got some good news and some bad.
passenger side frame rail and inner fenderwell is in perfect condition, but the driver side framerail must go, along with the inner fender.
the driver f.r has a few pinholes in it, and leads me to believe that the whole thing is weak.
i may as well do it right, or go home. i am nervous to do it alone, but i will battle through it and do it.

Attachments

• 019.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 764
  • 018.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 779
  • 017.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 780
  • 016.JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 780
  • 015.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 763
and if anyone has any opinions on replacing the inner fender and f.r, please let me know!.

do i support the car up in any specific way??

i talked to a few local reputable resto shops, and i was told that you can sand blast a car, but do not take all the way to the metal. just get the outer coats off, and the metal therefore will not get hot and warp.

so, i pulled out my blaster and went to town. i pulled it all off down either to the pink, or to the primer. now i have to da the rest of the car to get the primer off.

tommorow i will start cutting out the floors and frame rail out of the donor scamp

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 755
  • 003.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 758
  • 002.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 747
  • 001.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 755
well, i said i would start tommorow, but got bored, so i figured i would take the k-frame out and inner fender.

wow, i had a ***** of a time cutting out the frame rail cause one of the bolts on driver side were so rusted tight. broke one japan breaker bar, and then broke a snap on bar with a pipe on the end!

so, i just cut it out. now using the blair spot weld remover tool. does good, but the tips wear out too quickly

i am glad i chose to do this car the right way, as this rail was completly gone, from the inside out

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 761
  • 006.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 743
  • 007.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 722
  • 008.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 716
  • 009.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 737
  • 010.jpg