fm3 coded 340 auto duster resto...............

-
Great find.
I vote 340 yes, absolutely!
No to the vinyl top.
I think this car should be restored to the way it looked like in 1970.

so please enlighten me. not being rude. i just want to be sure it is a real one. everything i have seen does point to real.
also, i looked on pantherpink.com, and they all have fm3 written right on the tags.......

Don't worry plot. All 70 Duster 340's that were pink are coded FM3 on the tag. I missed out on one by 5 minutes years and years ago, and it also was coded as such. It's real!

Grant

My bad ... I didn't see the R11 at first look ; so used to seeing it on the top-row of codes I guess .

As far as the FM3 goes : maybe it was subjective to the carline . The few FM3's I've seen were "B" & "E" bodies ; and in those instances , "999" was on the tag .
The last 'real' FM3 I saw was a '71 Challenger R/T 383 Magnum . It had "999" (which could mean anything , of course) , plus about 5 repaints.
The car's owner and I removed the back seat and found the build sheet : pay dirt "FM3" .
This was back in 1992 .

I've always wondered why Chrysler didn't promote this colour better , especially with the fledgling "N.O.W." movement happening ; could've boosted sales to all those *wince* Gloria Allred *wince* types out there !

Personally , I'd like to see another 340 between those Shear Panels. Maybe even a 390" stroker , backed by that column-shift 727 .

Good luck with your resto :cheers:
I have been chasing mopars for over thirty years plus and having always like fm3, I have seen many fender tags coded with fm3. A,b, and e body car. I have also seen car with the 999 code but never a 'pink' car.

i know that i might hear flak for this, cause it is a real 340 car, but for gas mileage and cruiser, i am contiplating doing up a /6 with a small turbo setup, as i will get better mileage, and still be able to smoke the tires off the thing when i want to

Joe, That's like taking the wife out for a nice dinner and ordering a Hot Dog! Don't do it! Piss on the gas mileage.It's a 340 car......make it a 340 car!! Or sell it to me and buy yourself a 6 banger! lol..

i know that i might hear flak for this, cause it is a real 340 car, but for gas mileage and cruiser, i am contiplating doing up a /6 with a small turbo setup, as i will get better mileage, and still be able to smoke the tires off the thing when i want to
I believe that if you put a Keisler 4 speed auto , some reasonable gearing (say , 3.55 or so ) , and some realistically-sized tyres on that bad boy , that fuel economy wouldn't be bad at all .

I'm happy that my assertions about the colour code were put-to-rest :D .

Do you have the original engine? If not, stick a Briggs and Stratton in it if you want to.

yea, do not have the origional engine. i got a long ways to go to decide on engine!

Joe I don't know how you do it. But a great project for sure. I also vote on a 340 no vinyl top.

Now i know you are just trying to piss us off......

well, i have not worked on car since last post, cause it got so cold so quick, and i have been putting it off. i finally cut up some lumber and put a front face on my garage. also used that can foam on all corners, to fill in all air loss spots. i picked up some 2nd hand metal, and cut it all to fit.

car work will continue on scedule tonight!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 760
  • 002.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 774
rear, front k-frame and dash will all come out tonight

I love FM3 A body's! A friend of mine from school, his parents have an original Pink Duster. His grandma bought it brand new. Hasent been out of the garage in probably 20 years. I believe its a /6 car, I know its not a 340 tho. Im friends with him on facebook and every couple of months I send him a message about buying it. So when it comes up for sale I know ill get first dibs.

If this was my car Id put a date coded 340 in it and no vinyl top.

Altho I really like your /6 turbo idea ALOT!

found some goodies under the dash frame when pulling dash. never heard of a "parades" food supermarket.lol
inspected the dahs, and all thumbs up. no cracks or and hacking. this will be a nice easy restore to new dash!.

got the trans out. not number matching, but still a 340 trans. i heard they are better than a normal 727.?

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 741
  • 007.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 746
  • 008.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 741
  • 009.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 735
  • 010.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 729
  • 011.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 760
  • 012.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 760
To the best of my recollection , the Hi-Perf 727's had :
- high speed up-shift
- heavier-duty clutch materials
- heavier-duty bands
- 5.0 lever on 440+6 and Hemi

I vote for a naturally-aspirated 4 cylinder diesel / PowerFlite / 6.06 with Spool in a 7.25" diff , as your drivetrain combo :glasses7:

Great find! I am realy thinking of going pink with my 71 duster. I have a extra 340 if you decide to go that way!

This is such a great thread. I can't believe a scrapper was gonna haul it off...completely stupid. I'd put it back to original- with a 340 or 360 that looks like a '70 340. I think that only nine 340 Dusters were made in 1970 with the FM3 code. Very rare indeed. You won't see another one.

well, i have not worked on car since last post, cause it got so cold so quick, and i have been putting it off. i finally cut up some lumber and put a front face on my garage. also used that can foam on all corners, to fill in all air loss spots. i picked up some 2nd hand metal, and cut it all to fit.

car work will continue on scedule tonight!

woow that garage looks super close to one we were working on here today,,trying to finish it up before winter hits for good,,,

we are converting a tent garage to some thing close to what you have,,,we are using metal roofing material,,,and hat track,,,to attach it to the tent garage frame,,

-
Back