Ford 272 C.I. runs low 11's. Why do Mopar guys need 408's?

-
yes. For a true bracket racer, a gutted car with 4.56 gears, 3500 stall, and a 500 dollar motor is all that's needed. You can easily run 12's, be consistent, and never break parts. And if the motor has an issue, by another 200 dollar FBmarketplace magnum, throw the intake/carb/oil pan on it and keep truck'n.
I've seen all kind's of high dollar race cars put on the trailer by a stock or slightly modified car. lol

In the late 70's there was a guy at Spokane running his Caddy with the A/C on clipping off wins.
Several times he made it deep in rounds at the World Finals with his slow consistent ride. lol
He also ran a 8 sec altered.
Best bracket car I ever owned, ran 15.32 95% of the passes I made with it. Spent a whole summer in the money with it at Detroit Dragway.

yes. For a true bracket racer, a gutted car with 4.56 gears, 3500 stall, and a 500 dollar motor is all that's needed. You can easily run 12's, be consistent, and never break parts. And if the motor has an issue, by another 200 dollar FBmarketplace magnum, throw the intake/carb/oil pan on it and keep truck'n.

That may be all YOU need but for others it not.

If that were true there would only be bracket classes.

So,if GTX John can run 10 seconds with a 318 in a 3400 pound station wagon, what are you big cube guys doing wrong? Given an unlimited valve train, intake manifold, and exhaust he is still running stock compression and cast iron heads.

Kinda curious if you guys ever priced out a competitive stock or super stock engine. And that’s probably only 55% of the equation of why they run so well.

Still waiting on your basic street strip ride you consider to be the Bee’s Knees. What would you build and drive everyday and rip down the track on weekends?
That would be boring!

No rule in IHRA or NHRA is written for me specifically, so there is no "all YOU need". Yes, I said "bracket car". I did NOT say all races. I also didn't say "want" list. I said need. Not much is needed for anyone to bracket race. As seen at last year's NoNameNationals, where I drove a 318 2bbl in a van to the finals, putting bracket cars on the trailer.
:thumbsup:

Last edited:
yes, I said "bracket car". I did NOT say all races. So for bracket races, you have bracket classes. I didn't say index races, heads up races, F.A.S.T. races, stocker races, or dirt bike races. I also didn't say "want" list. I said need. Not much is needed for anyone to bracket race. :D :D

That’s how YOU define a bracket car, not me or anyone else I know that races.

In 2001 my dad bought a Camaro. The dealer and all the know it alls said it’s a 14.50ish car at best and most likely high 14’s.

I looked at the HORSEPOWER number it made (didn‘t look at torque because torque has never went fast or won a race) and the advertised weight and said that turd should go well into the 13’s. Everyone laughed.

July 4th that year, my local track had a race and my dad and brother went there to run his car. I went because I was tuning on my friends Nova or I would have went to work and made money.

My dad couldn’t get it out of the 15’s and my brother had it running mid 14’s. They tapped out and called it good.

So I said WTF? That means either GM lied about its power or its weight. Or both. Then I found out that all the smart “bracket“ guys down there said put it in drive and run it, and that’s when they go the quickest and fastest.

I called HORSESHIT on that and all the moron who said and think that. There ain’t no way on God’s green earth that the GM engineers who programmed that junk **** GM transmission programmed it for the quickest and fastest time slips. They programmed it for daily driving.

So in between tuning on my friends car, baby sitting and diaper changing for a couple of my customers I started making passes on that hunk of ****. And yes, I hated that pile of steaming dung the first time I drove it. Straight garbage.

At any rate, before the night was over I have that pile of manure running 13.50’s like clock work. No tuning, nothing. I didn’t even check the tire pressure.

What I did was work on where my shift points SHOULD be (and it went quicker and faster with different shift points from gear to gear) and then hitting them, without a shift light or any other crapola.

And you know what, not one single dude had the balls to walk up and tell me how much faster the car would be if I let it shift on its own. Not one.

There are two points to the story.

1. Just because you are at a drag strip (or any track for that matter) it doesn’t mean they know Jack ****. Most of them never even heard of Jack ****. They repeat what they heard or read.

2. Even if I went to the track every week religiously that car would never be classified by me or anyone else with a clue as a ”bracket“ car. Not even close.

You may define it that way and you have the right to be wrong. But you are. You can even call it a bracket car but that’s not what it is.

This is why arguments rage over this ****. People want to label this and that and whatever and they don’t ever get it right.

If you call that, or any other driver car a bracket car you are just plain wrong.

well, a bracket car to me and most I know is a car that is designated to race in the bracket race. The final ET isn't as important as the car being consistent. I know bracket racers that have raced for years, some since the late 60's and won't go faster than 11.50 because the cost of the safety equipment such as belts and bar. Their cars are simple and consistent. They go rounds. THAT is bracket racing. And THAT is a bracket car. IF I am wrong, then I won't bracket race in Washington LOL

well, a bracket car to me and most I know is a car that is designated to race in the bracket race. The final ET isn't as important as the car being consistent. I know bracket racers that have raced for years, some since the late 60's and won't go faster than 11.50 because the cost of the safety equipment such as belts and bar. Their cars are simple and consistent. They go rounds. THAT is bracket racing. And THAT is a bracket car. IF I am wrong, then I won't bracket race in Washington LOL
Tim never raced the guy in the Caddy. lol

This where most arguments happen we all have different views/philosophy of whats performance/street strip/ race car is what streetable is and how to go about, whatever works for you and are satisfied with results guess it's good enough then.

This where most arguments happen we all have different views/philosophy of whats performance/street strip/ race car is what streetable is and how to go about, whatever works for you and are satisfied with results guess it's good enough then.
some things are facts, not opinions. I've seen designated bracket cars that were no faster than 13's or 14's, but they were bracket cars. To say otherwise is saying a sparrow isn't a bird. Gotta be at least a Hawk
:lol:

some things are facts, not opinions. I've seen designated bracket cars that were no faster than 13's or 14's, but they were bracket cars. To say otherwise is saying a sparrow isn't a bird. Gotta be at least a Hawk
Freakin - A! Also, IMO, you’re right, dead on right.
You can bracket race and car in any class that runs the time set up in as an example what the NHRA has or any other body has and call it a bracket car. Or van, or truck, motorcycle, ATV, or etc…

I say so freakin what if your lowly (enter any car here) runs 16’s, there’s probably a class for it. If you take it out to the track, run in an class and compete, congrats, your bracket racing.

That’s the bottom line and the FACT!

If you're satisfied with your definition of a race car, fine. Don't slam somebody else's definition of one. They might blow your doors off.

Right. And you left the definition wide open.

Define what a Pro Mod car is. I can’t. But I know one when I see it. Same thing.

I’ve seen an 18 second bracket car. More than one actually.

Saying some joker can go buy a brand new Mustang or whatever and call that a bracket car is dumb.

Freakin - A! Also, IMO, you’re right, dead on right.
You can bracket race and car in any class that runs the time set up in as an example what the NHRA has or any other body has and call it a bracket car. Or van, or truck, motorcycle, ATV, or etc…

I say so freakin what if your lowly (enter any car here) runs 16’s, there’s probably a class for it. If you take it out to the track, run in an class and compete, congrats, your bracket racing.

That’s the bottom line and the FACT!

FACT. Just because it’s raced doesn’t make it a bracket car. That’s THE fact.

You can call it what you want but that doesn’t make it true.

FACT. Just because it’s raced doesn’t make it a bracket car. That’s THE fact.

You can call it what you want but that doesn’t make it true.
Could run 11's, 10's and 9's with the same car. lol

To say otherwise is saying a sparrow isn't a bird. Gotta be at least a Hawk
I'd rather have a Hawk...

1687652797422.png

..than a Sparrow

1687652890681.png

-
Back