Foreign cars

-
and you actually think it stays here.. its the same garbage built when it was german.

how, exactly, does the money leave the country on a vehicle that is dseigned, advertised, administrated, built (etc) in the USA by an american owned company?

I really am trying to understand what youre saying

In the pre-daimler days my cousins delivery business had over a dozen caravans which all had routine oil changes and standard maintenance done on them. While the occasional alternator or water pump went out he was able to get an average of 300,000 miles on the entire van with the exception of the 150,000mi on the transmissions.

No doubt that there are some things that American car companies do better than the foreign ones. American car makers still rule the full size truck market because they build a quality product in this segment (at least Ford and GM). Chrysler is still one of the top minivan manufacturers today. They invented the segment. Chevy's Corvette is one of the most reliable American cars built.

Then we get into mid-size sedans and compacts, which make up the majority of most middle class and working class America. This is where the foreign car companies played their cards and now dominate the market.

I'll extend an olive branch here. Like I told Rice Nuker, if you are serious about writing letters or using any other medium to affect politics, I will endorse you.

how, exactly, does the money leave the country on a vehicle that is dseigned, advertised, administrated, built (etc) in the USA by an american owned company?

I really am trying to understand what youre saying

Already told you earlier in this post. You really think the profits don't go into overseas banks? No way are they keeping that money here.

No doubt that there are some things that American car companies do better than the foreign ones. American car makers still rule the full size truck market because they build a quality product in this segment (at least Ford and GM). Chrysler is still one of the top minivan manufacturers today. They invented the segment. Chevy's Corvette is one of the most reliable American cars built.

Then we get into mid-size sedans and compacts, which make up the majority of most middle class and working class America. This is where the foreign car companies played their cards and now dominate the market.

I'll extend an olive branch here. Like I told Rice Nuker, if you are serious about writing letters or using any other medium to affect politics, I will endorse you.

I am not trying to fight. You guys are my moparian bretheren... its just a difference of opinion. But i look forward to RN's letter and hope to add my 2 cents upon reading his work.

Already told you earlier in this post. You really think the profits don't go into overseas banks? No way are they keeping that money here.

that is kind of a wildcard. no way to confirm or debunk that. but if everyone getting paid along the way is a yankee, from the janitor to the CEO its a better deal for all of us (yes i understand a ram for example is built in mexico - I dont condone that and we need to get rid of that practice). Thats my point. Whereas with say a Hondyota Hyundwoo Audwagen or any other import, even if BUILT here a HUGE chink of the profits go to foreign executives and that money is gone, out of our economic cycle.

Hold up. Your going all the way down to the floor sweeper as your example now? You just proved my point about it being just fine buying a so called foreign car that's designed,built and exported from here. All the little guys (Americans)along the way are getting paid. Not to mention the American suppliers for those foreign factories here in America. Hell the foreign car built here is helping Americans more the your American car that's built in Mexico or Canada. It's not as simple as you would like it to be.

No.... you missed it. EVERYBODY. (in a perfect world, or like it used to be)

with your last statement you missed the big one where all of the real money goes.

I know its not simple. what i am saying is 100% american or as close to it as you can get... when you get a hyundai built in the south... thats not anywhere near 100%

and, the US makers need to get out of other countries. and the UAW needs to go away.

Define the good money. The CEO that has making poor decisions for years? That isn't stupid enough to keep his money in American banks. Or is it the money being put into plants in Mexico and Canada and paying foreign workers to do that work. Last figure I saw was like 5 years ago. Toyota employed like 600,000 Americans and that didn't count the American suppliers,transporter etc...etc...etc. add to those numbers the other so called foreign manufactures here in America. Is that not considered good money? To me the good money is money in the working man's pocket not some overpaid CEO's pocket.

Define the good money. The CEO that has making poor decisions for years? That isn't stupid enough to keep his money in American banks. Or is it the money being put into plants in Mexico and Canada and paying foreign workers to do that work. Last figure I saw was like 5 years ago. Toyota employed like 600,000 Americans and that didn't count the American suppliers,transporter etc...etc...etc. add to those numbers the other so called foreign manufactures here in America. Is that not considered good money? To me the good money is money in the working man's pocket not some overpaid CEO's pocket.

I agree with Hemitheus on principle, but Joe, you have the practical down. Where as our home team is shipping more work over the borders, the foreign guys are bringing work here. It is indeed true that no answers are easy, nor are things as cut and dry. Importers want their product to do well here because this is where the profits are. The truth is that they are supporting our economy as much as anybody. Ask the dock worker in San Pedro to the line assembler in Marysville. It's money in their pocket to go to the local economy and spend as they see fit.

There does need to be a change, the work and the money need to come from here and stay here to strengthen our economy. All out revolution is not the answer. Complacency and indifference is not a solution either. I believe that we should be more aware of where and how we spend. More importantly we should be more involved in how our Government works. Exercise your rights. VOTE. This is America. This is how we affect change in our policy.

i agree wiht you. They dont deserve anything other than a swift kick in the ***. However, a 6-7 figure income to an american is better than a 6-7 figure income to a non american when it comes to the economy. The reason is the american exec will spend a lot more money IN the usa than the foreign CEO, therefore recycling money through the US economy strengthening it.

i agree wiht you. They dont deserve anything other than a swift kick in the ***. However, a 6-7 figure income to an american is better than a 6-7 figure income to a non american when it comes to the economy. The reason is the american exec will spend a lot more money IN the usa than the foreign CEO, therefore recycling money through the US economy strengthening it.

Maybe, maybe not. Remember the buying spree of Asian execs buying ranches in Montana? Middle Easterners were buying a bunch of property, also.
Ever see those lifestyle shows? (Housewives of Hell, Married to a Mafia Inmate, My 16 Year Old Just Got More Crap for Her Birthday Than You'll Ever Make....) Those Americans spend buttloads of money going to other places to spend their money. Seriously? Paris for the day for shoe shopping?

Being that both my Dad and Mom both worked and retired from ChryCo it's not hard to guess that the majority of the vehicles I've owned over the years were Chrysler products. Ive always had at least 1 pickup and I have always had very good luck with them but I tend to over maintain vehicles.

1971 Duster 318, probably could have drove that car to the grave!
1968 Fury 383, run and run and run and run.... engine and tranny getting rebuilt...
1973 Swinger Slant 6, ditto
1980 St. Regis, ran like a top but the electrical system was shite...
More Jeep Cherokee's than I can count (Momma's rides) no problems except on the 2006 one the A/C went out the 1st month we had it, dealer fixed, ride on.
1987 Dodge D250 360 auto (Michigan) only have had for a month, so far so good.
1994 Dakota V6 (Michigan, shop truck) runs good but rattles over every bump! Crap brakes, 1 transmission...
2002 Ford F-150 V6 (Kentucky, shop truck) P/S pump, water pump, axle seals, 1 transmission, 300,000+ miles!
2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel (Missouri) not one problem, not one. This truck's an animal...
2001 Ford Crown Victoria (Ontario) with the exceptions of a few minor things this car is wonderful! I can't believe Ford is dumping this platform, senseless...
Da Big Boss has 5 Dodge Calibers for his courier service, them boys drive the stuffing out of those cars, one of the 5 seems to be a problem child. Either it's the car or the driver! LOL!!!
1986 Audi 100 when I was stationed in Germany, AC and heater/defrost was crap!

I've had chingo's of other vehicles over the years but didn't keep them long enough to really remember much about them.

So I bought some "new" a-pillar plastic for my 72 Barracuda at the Chryslers at Carlisle swap meet. And this conversation was fresh in my mind when I installed them on my car....

Legitimate Chrysler plastic, complete with the pentastar stamp on it....and old and used, from 1970-74 e bodies. But in better shape than the ones on my car.

I looked at the back and saw "made in canada".

Hmmmmm. "maybe these are repops from a long while back?" I thought.

When I pulled the originals off my car i found they had the same "made in canada" stamp on them.

Its unlikely that the ones on my car are anything but the originals.

So even back in 1972, "All American, USA bult cars" were NOT "all american". There were "foreign" parts on it.

And the parts from 70 and 71 are exactly the same I am told.

Just thought this was interesting.

So, if Ma mopar was using foreign companies to make parts from them back in 1970, almost 40 years ago, we can hardly argue that this is anything new. Some do not think Canada is the same as mexico, china, etc. But at the end of the day, those parts are being made by companies in another country.

I would bet that many of the folks here claiming to "only buy and drive american" are thinking their older Mopars help them live up to that.

But, apparantly not, at least not from 1970 up.

How far back does one have to go to find a legitimate , 100% USA made car along with all its parts? 69? 65? 60? How about 1955?

I say it doesn't matter much.

The car was still put together by an american based, american owned 9at least then) company. So that goes for the new cars as well.

My half-mexican/half-canadian/half chinese (yeah, thats 3 halves...lol) sourced part Durango is as American as my 72 Barracuda in my mind.

Sorry dude. Money is tighter these days, the economy is in the toilet and I need to be responsible.

I can't afford to buy a hunk of crap American car. I don't want to maintain a hunk of crap American car. I don't want to deal with the depreciation of a hunk of crap american car.

Why, being the greatest country in the world........... can't we build a good car? Ford is getting their quality up there but Chevy and Dodge are pure garbage.
The only reason I think this is hapening is because Ford and Mazda have a partenership and Ford is beneficiating from it more than we think, for instance why do you think the Fusion has so much success...because of its Mazda 6 chassis of course, and the list goes on...

I am not going to say much after getting in a argument with a guy about his. But i dont like imports. I like Euro cars like Porches and BMW's but not Kias and Toyota's and such. The only cars i will own are Mopars, its Mopar or no car.

One thing all the gen-Y's universally liked about the cars they listed are that they are vehicles that lend themselves to customizing. What is Chrysler/FIAT LLC doing? Making it harder to customize or tune the ECM, meaning good luck on getting the younger generation of buyers interested in their cars.
Interesting strategy, guess we'll get to bail this new incarnation of Chrysiat in the near future once again...staggering stupidity

My wife travels a lot and when there isn't snow on the ground, she can rent. If there is snow, she will only drive our Subaru. On of he constant complaints are the cruddy seats in most american cars..for instance, the Impalla isn't bad on the roads but after a couple of hours, it amost cripples her.

After saying that, the rental dudes tossed her a Chrysler 300. She loves it. Great seats. So at lease one company is listening. And me ? I love my RAM.

Ian.

I don't like the idea that most of the things we as americans purchase are not made in the usa my electronics are asian [my tvs are 15-20 years old] ,we have an 06 vw,11 mustang,98 ram,66 barracuda, 73charger [i'm sure the latter two are american made]. However i'm not planning to purchase a new vehicle at my age if i do buy another driver it will be a classic of some sort,my home is furnished with thirft store stuff that is not pressboard crap, most of my wife and my clothes are yard sale/thrift store purchases. Oh by the way my wife of 25 years is imported from South Korea,i eat asian food,my kids have owned or own foreign cars. At this point in time you have 2 choices be pickey and own almost nothing or don't worry about it and go with the flow, all the complaining in the world ain't gonna change it. The greedy bastards have taken every thing that this country was built upon and torn it down in the name of profit,they change the constitution to suit them they change laws to make it impossible for americans to afford to live so they will lose their fight/drive for change, i'm sick and tired of bustin my *** for peanuts while someone is makin a profit from my labor. Greed needs to be abolished and a revolution is the only way it can be done talking,voting dont cut it.

We had a 1998 Chevy malibu (bought new). Put on over 110k miles in 6 years. Wasn't in the shop even ONCE for anything major.

Bought a 2006 Sonata (new)......has over 103k, never in the shop for anything major. (knock on wood)

Have had a 2003 Durango (bought when it was a year old). 78k miles on it. Nothing major.....some electric door lock issues under warranty. I did have to replace the oil pan due to rusting......so I guess that is sort of major.

I have a 1992 Dakota...had some transfer case bearing issues when it had 20k miles, taken care of under warranty.....fuel pump issues at around 50k....truck now has over 110k on it...strictly a nice-day driver now.....no major issues (knock wood)

None of these vehicles have had any major rust issues, and to be honest they dont get washed/waxed as often as they should.....and we live in the rust belt.

All of them had some items fixed under recalls. But all have been reliable and worthy vehicles.

We take car of our cars and maintain them, which I believe is what lead to longer service life.

My 2005 Honda motorcycle gets ridden every day, rain or shine, and still looks like it rolled off the showroom and has never failed me yet, at around 80k miles. (Knock wood....LOL). I know guys who have Harleys who ride them the same and have the same experience. Then I know guys who own either import bikes or HDs and have nothing but problems.

I have friends who have various american cars and imports and the experience is similar......the folks who never change their oil or keep the air cleaner clean are the ones who have major issues.

My brother has an import SUV and just had to replace his own radiator due to known tranny cooler problems..seems the integral tranny coolr design is prown to blow out into the engine coolant.....the factory knows its a problem with the rads ...a very common problem....but wont replace the radiator under warranty unless it actually blows and contaminates the whole engine......his warranty runs out in a month so he did the fix himself.

EVERY make out there has some blemishes on their record, even Mercedes and Volvo, two brands that are supposed to be high quality cars......anything manufactured in bulk can have issues.

EVERY make out there now is also not strictly "american" or "import". Parts and labor are sourced from everywhere. The only argument could be "its an american company". Well, even that is suspect.....do some research into who holds major chunks of stock in the various companies.......we are truly now in a GLOBAL MANUFACTURING scenario.

My nineteen year old '92 GMC has almost 200,000 trouble-free miles and we still drive it daily. Still driving my '89 Mustang too. My daughter is daily driving an '86 Chevy truck with the original untouched drivetrain. Our '76 Dart had 178,000 miles on the original slant six and it was still running when we pulled it. All American made and proud of it.
So don't even tell me that only Toyota's last.

This about sums it up for me:

japcar.jpg

So what is wrong with buying foreign cars?? How do you even know the so called foreign car you are buying is actually foreign? It could have been made it the USA. I don't hear many people gripe when foreigners buy American cars.

My take on foreign cars made here is that when you buy one of these cars, your money goes to the parent country and not here. Buy a used one if you need to buy one. At least then that money stays here to help our own faltering economy.
Frank

Interesting thread to say the least. I have a bit of time so let me interject a bit if REAL thought that has a bit of history backing it. Sure we all get into making a living and going through the motions of getting upset with the issues we see on the news day in and day out but seldom IMO do we understand or really take a look at the real big picture. After reading some of this subject it looks like there are different thoughts of what is foriegn and what is not. Personally i think we have been sold out and are simply reaping the results of a speech made on the deck of a battle ship during the surrender of the Japanese after Pearl Harbor. The Emporer making that surrender stated that the next time we will take the U.S. from within without firing a shot, in so many words. You must admit, they are well on their way. Go to walmart and buy a toaster. Where's it made. Go try and buy about anything and look where it's made. Look at the foothold the foriegners have gained in the functionality of the day to day operations of our simple lives. Eventually they will control us to a point that we will all have to bow to their demands. You say aint gona happen. Fine, when ya pull your heads out of the sand it will still be them calling the shots. Imagine this. You think the unemployment is bad now just wait until they achive their goal in the amount of our economy that they think is necessary to make such demands. We let em know real quick that this is America and we aint gona bow to their demands. Hide and watch em close every door at every manufacturing facility on American soil and then look at the employment issue. Now some of you dont care to look at the BIG picture but it is so big that many cant see it. This is a possibility. "And God bless America ...Again."
Small Block

-
Back