Found a 70 Coronet R/T ???

-
You are all nit picking this car to pieces and every one of you is missing the most important thing. This is a rare, one of one car. I have never seen and clutch shifted automatic before. It has to be rare. This thing is a must have for any serious collector.

Rare and desirable are two different things.

What make you think they only made one of these? From what I have heard from people from Mexico, Mexican cars don't have a great survival rate. They get used and used until there not much left of them.

I know of a 68 Mexican Barracuda and 69 Mexican Dart GTS that were for sale around here that where very beat. Worse than this 70 Coronet.

You would think if it was anything other than a bondo rustbucket hack job special........it wouldnt be sitting on a buy-here-pay-here car lot.

Well I went back to the car today and looked it over again. My digital camera died when I attempted the first picture, which drew a string of colorful words from me! A pictures worth a thousand words, so having no batteries really pissed me off. However this small photo was taken with my sons phone and is of the fender tag. It seems to say the following;
E44 D31 820 S77
?1 1X T?
A31 072123 F?223

The "?" means I wasnt sure about that digit. The dash had two rivets but no VIN tag attached, but it did not appear that the old one had been removed, (no scratches or damage in that area). One small tag was found in the driver door jam, by the upper door hinge. It was heavily painted over but the number appeared to match what was on the insurance paper work listed below.

Looking in the ash tray I found the current insurance slip and they listed the vehicles Identification Number as, T0102123, a 1970 Dodge Coronet. The glove box door said Coronet 440.

The hood was steel, and if I remember correctly, was painted black, top and bottom. Speedometer was a 200KPH one and appeared in good shape.

The clutch pedal did nothing and was positioned against the firewall. Shifter was a B&M setup.

I had a 69 Coronet 440, 4-door with a 318, while stationed at Fort Stewart, GA back in 93-95, so I am somewhat familiar with these cars.

Hope this info helps figure out what this car is, not that I'm looking to buy it.

Well, the mystery is over. The car is definitely a Mexican built Coronet.
A friend of mine has a Mexican built '71 Duster that he bought here in Alberta and it's been here almost since it was new.
The vin location is in the same place as this car, but it is a lot more complete and original. They are cool cars for sure. I love the 318 4 barrel setup they had in a lot of cars built in Mexico.

You would think if it was anything other than a bondo rustbucket hack job special........it wouldnt be sitting on a buy-here-pay-here car lot.

I'm sure the same thing was said about now-collectible cars , back in the 70's and early 80's , especially prior to (fairly) common knowledge of v.i.n. decoding .

How many 318 or 340 powered 'Cuda models were kickin' back on the lots of sleazy "hot rod" dealerships back in the 70's / 80's , with zero knowledge of its 440 / 440 Six Barrel or even Hemi origins ?

Oh , and I wouldn't be surprised to find that there's some *trouble* with this '70 Coronet's paperwork ...

I'm sure the same thing was said about now-collectible cars , back in the 70's and early 80's , especially prior to (fairly) common knowledge of v.i.n. decoding .

How many 318 or 340 powered 'Cuda models were kickin' back on the lots of sleazy "hot rod" dealerships back in the 70's / 80's , with zero knowledge of its 440 / 440 Six Barrel or even Hemi origins ?

Oh , and I wouldn't be surprised to find that there's some *trouble* with this '70 Coronet's paperwork ...

I bought a 4-door, 69 Coronet 440 with a 318 back in 1993 from a "buy-here-pay-here" lot for $1200 if my memory serves me right. I put a lot of elbow grease into that car and added some Cragar S/S rims and dual exhaust and it was a real head turner. Only sold it because I had to do a tour in Korea and couldn't store it sufficiently. Wish I had it now. I agree that many "now collectable cars" could be found on lots back in the day. But now even 'sleezy' car lots can research what they have and usuaully demand more than what is reasonable. Of course what is "reasonable" to one buyer may not be to another.

AutoXCuda, all Mexican Coronets, Barracudas, Dart GTS, Super Bees had the same 318ci/270hp engine and emblems until de 360 came out. That hood is original, i know this guy is got the same car but in pristine shape with original everything.
Rudy, so is that hood with those inserts stock on Mexican Coronet?

Is that a special model Coronet with that hood? Or did all Coronet have that hood?

At first, I thought someone took a Mexican Dart GTS hood and welded to a 70 coronet hood. Maybe not?

AutoXCuda, all Mexican Coronets, Barracudas, Dart GTS, Super Bees had the same 318ci/270hp engine and emblems until de 360 came out. That hood is original, i know this guy is got the same car but in pristine shape with original everything.

So in Mexico, they put Dart style inserts on the hoods? That car is looking more interesting all the time. Button, what were they asking anyway?

I couldn't get back there today, busy putting up Christmas decorations all day, haha. They wont be open Sunday either and don't have a web-site. I'll try and check it out sometime this week if I get a chance.

-
Back