Frame Damage While Being Towed - Need Advice and Input

-
It’s a different situation with a 40 year old car with vintage car insurance. They have different rules.
I didn't see where he stated he had vintage ins. Hopefully he does, is working with a declared value, and they go to bat for him.

Thank God you caught it.. woulda sucked to find it the next time you were under the car. Then what!?!

Thank God you caught it.. woulda sucked to find it the next time you were under the car. Then what!?!

Very true. The tow driver being an idiot is bad enough, but then not wanting to own up to his mistake is a whole other level of douchbaggery. It's a shame there are so many dishonest people in this world.

We had a tow truck driver pull a car down our street at almost a 30 degree angle off the tow bar, side swiped 2 cars! He hooked the back and the front wheels turned. Guy had to walk around the corner to save his own ***.

Very true. The tow driver being an idiot is bad enough, but then not wanting to own up to his mistake is a whole other level of douchbaggery. It's a shame there are so many dishonest people in this world.

That's what killed me about the story, not just the damage. Man up and own your **** up.

Had a tow truck driver drop on off at my shop and hit a customer's pick up, backing out. Tore the fender off and ripped the door open like a tib can.

Heard the sound of crunching plastic and metal, went outside to look, the driver was so upset he was shaking.

"Damn! I am so sorry! I've never had an accident before!"

"Relax. Mistakes happen. It's what your boss is going to do about it that counts."

We both got on the phone at the same time. Him to his boss, me to my customer. The driver left with the pick up on the bed and off to the boss' body shop it went.

I've had cars that we're damn near falling in half towed on a roll back with less damage done than what was done to the OP's car.

Quick update, investigator came by yesterday, saw the damage, made his report and said he'd call me today.

He did. They're going to cover any and all costs for repair/replacement. Taking it to 2 shops tomorrow for quotes. Both are reputable restoration shops that are highly recommended

Will update as things progress.

Quick update, investigator came by yesterday, saw the damage, made his report and said he'd call me today.

He did. They're going to cover any and all costs for repair/replacement. Taking it to 2 shops tomorrow for quotes. Both are reputable restoration shops that are highly recommended

:thumbsup:

EXCELLENT!!! Frame connectors???

Glad to hear they are coming good for it. Did you ever hear from towing company owner? Curious

Glad to hear they are coming good for it. Did you ever hear from towing company owner? Curious

Yeah, he called me over the weekend and let me know it was "on his radar". I told him he and his shop were on my lawyer's, too.

Called it :)

Did you mention who your insurance is through ?

Not going through my insurance at all on this. Kept them out of it, dealt strictly with AAA.

Not going through my insurance at all on this. Kept them out of it, dealt strictly with AAA.

since they were the ones who authorized the tow in the first place?
sure sounds like they are making right

To err is human.
To try and cover it up is something else.

"Damn dude. Why didn't you just hook the chains to the fenders?"

When I was young, our dad had a 70 Roadrunner 6 pak Convertible. He had torque thrust wheels on it that somebody obviously wanted. He had it parked at work when somebody broke into the trunk and used the bumper jack to raise it by the fender lips around the wheel wells and steal the wheels. Naturally insurance fixed it, but man, stupidity is still rampant!

wrong.jpg
I was watching a boat ramp fail video and they sluing a truck by its roof and lifted it out with a crane. Truck probably had more damage to the roof than water.

Last edited:
I was watching a boat ramp fail video and they sluing a truck by its roof and lifted it out with a crane. Truck probably had more damage to the roof than water.
Especially with the EXTRA tons of water in the truck, I'm sure there was damage!!

treblig

I have a boat and find myself watching those. There'sanother one where the truck rolled over and they dragged it out laying on it's roof.

Repairs came out to just under $5K.

AAA will be cutting me a check Monday.

I'll be having the shop throw on my Hotchkis TVS kit as well as the subframe connectors while they're under her skirt.

Turning a negative into a positive!

Glad its resolved. But i bet not for the tow company. Better turn off his radar and flip on his cloaking device...

Repairs came out to just under $5K.

AAA will be cutting me a check Monday.

I'll be having the shop throw on my Hotchkis TVS kit as well as the subframe connectors while they're under her skirt.

Turning a negative into a positive!
It's Christmas in July lol

Well... Quick update...

Shop ended up being a turd and had my car for 3 weeks without doing anything but move it around their shop to make way for other customer's cars.

That being said, it's now back in my garage and I'm looking for another shop.

What a pain in the ***. All over stupidity and negligence on the tow truck driver's behalf.

-
Back