Front tire sizes?

-

Rusty0761

Reaction score
I have a 1968 Barracuda I purchased last year and the previous owner upgraded tires and wheels. He had new steel Mopar 15x7 rally wheels and new BF Goodrich P225 60R-15 upfront, 15x8’s P245 60R-15’s on the rears. I noticed the front suspension was jacked up ( new torsion bars installed) so after driving it home I adjusted down to close to factory height now I’ve got a tire rub when turning sharp into driveway or u-turns. Could this be because the front tires are too tall and wide?

YES - check the front corner of the fender opening in front - if you catch it you could really damage the fender. Sometimes you can get some more clearance if you adjust, or even weld an extension to the strut that goes to the bottom of the front fender (I presume a Barracuda has one, I'm a Dart guy...). Remember there is a world of difference between getting it just so in the driveway and in a turn with a bump or pothole. IMHO, those tires are just too big for the front.

215 65R-15s up front may help out along with the fender rod extension.

Resized_20180707_103014.jpeg

Remember that back then the modern sizes didn't exist yet. The original size would have been most likely a 7.35 X 14 on a 4.5 to 5.5" wheel. That would be closest to a 195 to 205/70-14 to day. Even that would be much wider then the original.

I purchased my car with the factory 14" X 5 1/2" sbp Rallye wheels running P215/70R14 tires up front. Several years ago, I installed the SSBC front disc brakes which pushes the wheels outboard approximately 3/8" (if I remember correctly). With this combination, I would get some tire rubs on tight turns.

My new front tires are P195/75R14 which has eliminated all tire rub.

IMG_6288.jpg

I purchased my car with the factory 14" X 5 1/2" sbp Rallye wheels running P215/70R14 tires up front. Several years ago, I installed the SSBC front disc brakes which pushes the wheels outboard approximately 3/8" (if I remember correctly). With this combination, I would get some tire rubs on tight turns.

View attachment 1715737047
What did the old tires rub on?

I have a 1968 Barracuda I purchased last year and the previous owner upgraded tires and wheels. He had new steel Mopar 15x7 rally wheels and new BF Goodrich P225 60R-15 upfront, 15x8’s P245 60R-15’s on the rears. I noticed the front suspension was jacked up ( new torsion bars installed) so after driving it home I adjusted down to close to factory height now I’ve got a tire rub when turning sharp into driveway or u-turns. Could this be because the front tires are too tall and wide?

215 60 15 is what you need.

Hear me now , thank me later. Arrrggh

Remember that back then the modern sizes didn't exist yet. The original size would have been most likely a 7.35 X 14 on a 4.5 to 5.5" wheel. That would be closest to a 195 to 205/70-14 to day. Even that would be much wider then the original.

205 70 15 on my 68 fastback, plenty of room ---------

My lowered 68 Barracuda
wears 235/60-14s (25.1"tall) on 7.5" rims ( I guess wheels to you yanks) with about a near-zero offset. (IIRC 3.75 bs)..
The K-member is about 5.75 to 6.0 off the deck, and car sits about level with a minimal rake.
She wears; KH brakes, 1.03 bars, a fat swaybar, and ancient 3-way Munroes. And I sucked the LCAs ahead just a tad in an effort to find some caster.
My K has been down to 5.5, and it still drove fine. But I kept snagging the Milodon Roadrace pan that hangs an inch lower. I finally made a nice skid-plate for it and that solved the carnage on the pan. No more compensation for speed-bumps; she just hammers over them.
Check your backspace; I bet that's where you will find the problem. Either there or in the ride-height.
With taller tires on wider 15"rims, the back space needs to be greater than 3.5/3.75, and/or the front corners of the wheel-openings trimmed, and/or the tops of the openings rolled out. Yes, as mentioned, you can push the un-trimmed corners out with the tin-struts, but I'm not a fan of that look.
The correct maximum wheel-offset is required to keep the back of the tire from rubbing on the frame. Your three/four contact points vary slightly with suspension travel. You cannot move the frame, nor the strut-rod, so those are your limiters, Everything else can be moved.

Last edited:

View attachment 1715737047
I think that also is part of my issue the previous owner had a power brake upgrade done too. Thanks

had a power brake upgrade done too
Late MOPAR disc brakes push the hubs out about .3/.4 which will require a backspace compensation is all. IDK about after-markets.
The brake booster itself is NOT part of the problem.
A wheel shop can move the spiders out a fair amount, but you will have to repaint.

-
Back