Gerst Tubular Suspension (GTS) Swap

-

72_671_Demon

Reaction score
I recently decided to convert from the OEM K-Frame to a tubular frame and coil-over front suspension. I have a 1972 Demon with a 340 small block and automatic transmission. While the suspension was out, I decided to install new exhaust, including TTI headers and a X-pipe and Flowmaster 40 series mufflers.

After doing some research, I decided that the GTS suspension was the option for me. The price point was very competitive with the other suspensions and included everything needed for the install including the steering shaft bearing to accommodate the steering u-joints included to convert to rack & pinion. My car will be mostly a street car but may see the occasional trip to the local drag strip.

From my brief time on the forum, I know you guys and gals like pictures and I do as well. So I'm going to include all I have. O:)

First things first. Out with the old.

View attachment Old_Parts_1.jpg

View attachment Old_Parts_2.jpg

Since I had a hoist, transmission jack, and other tools at my disposal, I decided to do the install with the engine and transmission still in the vehicle. If you don't have the all the tools and safety items available to you, I would strongly recommend removing the engine and transmission for the installation.

A few pictures after the old parts were removed.

View attachment image_3.jpg

View attachment image_4.jpg

Removing the travel limiters.

View attachment image_9.jpg

After the tubular frame was installed.

View attachment image_10.jpg

View attachment image_12.jpg

Now on to the important parts . . . brakes, shocks, control arms and steering.

View attachment IMG_8684.jpg

View attachment IMG_8685.jpg

The brakes are Wilwood WIL-140-9918-D Dynalite 12.19 in rotors with the 2" drop Wilwood pro spindles.

The measurement from hub face to hub face is 57 7/8 inches.

Since there is a limitation on the picture upload, I will continue in another post.

Sweet looking car. Welcome to the GTS club!!!

57 & 7/8ths, nice. I do think that makes it the narrowest of all the tubular kits!

With the rack and pinion you need to install two u-joints and a steering column bearing to support the steering shaft. Here are a few pictures of that install. Keep in mind that the upper u-joint needs to be welded to the steering shaft. I also chose to shorten the steering column for additional header tube clearance.

View attachment IMG_8690.jpg

View attachment IMG_8691.jpg

Last but not least is the exhaust. I know this is the suspension area but since I mentioned it in the first post, Here are a few pictures.

View attachment IMG_8696.jpg

View attachment IMG_8697.jpg

View attachment IMG_8698.jpg

View attachment IMG_8699.jpg

Very nice car! Hoping to be able to place my order after my tax refund. I'm glad to see GTS finally get some recognition, very knowledgeable and friendly guy. Was the install pretty simple, and how would you rate the quality of this kit and customer service?

Sweet looking car. Welcome to the GTS club!!!

57 & 7/8ths, nice. I do think that makes it the narrowest of all the tubular kits!

Thanks!

Looking forward to putting some miles on the car with the updates. Not sure when that will be since the weather will likely be bad for the next several months.

Thanks!

Looking forward to putting some miles on the car with the updates. Not sure when that will be since the weather will likely be bad for the next several months.

You're well ahead of my build then. Had a set back at the machine shop, so things kind of got delayed. I'm hoping to have my engine done by spring, in the meantime, body work

Very nice car! Hoping to be able to place my order after my tax refund. I'm glad to see GTS finally get some recognition, very knowledgeable and friendly guy. Was the install pretty simple, and how would you rate the quality of this kit and customer service?

Thanks!

Yes, Carl is very knowledgeable about the suspension geometry and the workmanship was great. The welds are awesome. IMHO the quality is great and I had some questions about the installation and every time I contacted Carl he either answered the phone or got back to me quickly. Great customer service which can be hard to find these days.

The installation was pretty simple. I think mine took a little longer than normal since I was installing the exhaust but relatively speaking, it went together very quickly. If you are up in the years like me, I highly recommend finding a hoist to work on. It made a huge difference for me.

No worries going with this suspension. You will get a great product and great service.

Looks good, I'm considering his coil over conversion kit for my Dart.

Just wanted to post a couple of pictures of the caps I covered the shock hole with. Unfortunately, I'm not sure exactly which vehicle I got them from since I bought several sets hoping to get some to work. I do remember it was from a small front wheel drive foreign car. Anyway just want to post them to give other using GTS or other tubular suspensions that don't use the existing shock holes ideas.

These caps were the push on style that just push on to the threaded strut shaft. I just pressed a 3/8 nut into the plastic cap and used a short 3/8 bolt with two fender washers and another 3/8 nut to hold it in the shock hole. Then I threaded the cap on to the remaining threads above the nut.

View attachment Shock cover_1.jpg

View attachment Shock cover_2.jpg

I am assuming you can use factory knuckles and disc brakes on this assembly?

I am assuming you can use factory knuckles and disc brakes on this assembly?
no. It comes with it's own spindles and brakes. It uses Mustang II forged spindles or Wilwood Pro Spindles which are based off the Mustang II.

no. It comes with it's own spindles and brakes. It uses Mustang II forged spindles or Wilwood Pro Spindles which are based off the Mustang II.

Correct. I actually just ordered my kit for the Gen III Hemi Swap and will be doing this install soon. The build is going a little slower, but I get to really do all of this in detail and help everyone out if they need it like you have.

Correct. I actually just ordered my kit for the Gen III Hemi Swap and will be doing this install soon. The build is going a little slower, but I get to really do all of this in detail and help everyone out if they need it like you have.
i try

QA1.. is the one i know after research that i can use original spindles .. thank

How is the new set up? Put any miles on over the summer? Dustin

Hello Dustin,
Yes, I had the car out several times over the summer. Not as much as I would have liked but I travel a lot for work and that is the priority since it pays the bills. The car drives really good. Even with the manual steering it not that difficult to steer at low speeds. I also changed the bias-ply tires with MT radials which also made a significant difference in handling. In my opinion this was money well spent . . . I like the vehicle stance with the 2" drop spindles as well.

Sorry for the delayed response . . . haven't been on in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the response. Nice hearing some feedback about the Gerst set up. I'm very interested in a rack and pinion but mostly just dreaming. Dustin

Not sure if I seen or read it in text... but what p/n did you use for flex hose and any adapters .. THANKS

Not sure if I seen or read it in text... but what p/n did you use for flex hose and any adapters .. THANKS
I was told when i ordered mine that it depends on which brake kit you go with.

Any photos of the car showing the lowered stance?

Here are a few recent pictures of the car.

IMG_0412.JPG
IMG_0414.JPG
IMG_0417.JPG

-
Back