Gotta get this sorted out!

-
Video of a run, lots of wind noise, though.

Goes dead right at 4500rpm.
If I lift it catches up and comes right back.

The volume test will only confirm flow at no back pressure so it may or may not tell you anything. If it is really low flow, then it is there. Which Edelbrock fuel pump do you have?

Sure sounds like a fuel problem... do you see the AFR's suddenly lean out when this happens? (Assuming you have an AFR meter...)

BTW, I read an earlier post about the exhaust note changing when the engine is hot. This can happen with a weak lifter check valve in a hydraulic lifter; the oil gets hot and thinner, and the lifter leaks down some, and the valve opening gets weak/lazy on that cylinder. We have had that exact thing happen....

Well today I finished running the return using my factory 5/16 line and added an aluminized heat sheath over my 3/8 feed line...all was going pretty good until I was about to pull out and noticed a nice puddle of fuel forming in front of my rear tire. Pinhole or tiny crack in the old line. I disconnected it, plugged the tank and filter barbs, and was gonna go test run to see if the heat shield made any difference, until I realized I didn't have much fuel and didn't want to add any until I'm done messing with the lines and tank.

Got the return line in today, despite a two day migrane...
Took it to the track and ran a 14.6 at 73mph, then a 13.55 at 85mph with no issues other than trying to learn to drive. All my
60ft times were in the toilet due to driver error. Third run was a red light and too slow to post. Fourth run was 13.74 at 96mph.
Last run it felt like it was running out of fuel at the top once again, but turned a 13.68 at 84mph anyway.

So far I suck at racing, but the car has much more in it. When it was messing up last year it ran 14.4 and top speed was 101mph.

If I can learn to launch and actually start tuning I think it could run mid 12's.

I guess it was vapor locking? That last run I spent more time in the staging lane with it running and the fuel probably got warmer than the other runs.
A couple people mentioned "winter blend" gas when I told them what I have been through,

Timeslips

20170401_075155.jpg

Knuckle Duster! I run a 410 small block in an Aussie Valiant Charger. I run a 800 carter AVS with a mechanical fuel pump and the standard 5/16 fuel line. It has run 11.3 @ 120mph. I do not have any fueling issues. I installed a air fuel ratio guage and it taught me a lot as it has a 232 degree duration roller cam in it and it now idles very well and is well behaved in driving. Now it only makes 360 rwhp on the dyno but has 740nm of torque. (I think that is about 530 ft lbs) It is a torque monster as I do not rev it over six grand even thou it will go to six five easily. I even change into fourth gear at about five six as it has so much torque that it pulls top gear very strong at those revs. It is a five speed manual and has only a 7 3/4 borg warner rear end. Yes I am waiting to blow that diff to pieces.

Ditch those cheap fuel filters... get ONE good performance filter. I have chased similar problems before only to find the filters to be too restrictive...

I like Taylors too. Firecore would be an equal. MSD makes a good wire too. You can order the ends you want and make them yourself too. Or grab the 90 degree terminals and boots separately and reterminate those. Funny thing with wires. Some last for...ever. Some don't. Condition-wise they all look the same...lol. Fact is if it's arcing - it's bad. Period. There might be other circumstances helping cause it, but from what you describe there isn't. 5 & 7 need some pretty firm looming to stay in decent shape, or grab those sleeves to protect them. Or put 90 ends on them...lol. Either way the energy has to get from the coil to the plug with no loss of power. And it's more important than anything else you might play with. If it runs bad, and the plugs look bad, then it's time to replace them, but they might only be the symptom and not the cause. Keep chasing it. Sounds like you're getting closer.
MSD wires have less resistance than about any wire out there. tyey have a set that has bendable ends on them, I have a set on my 505 wedge. have some that I`ve bent to 30-45 and left straight .

The issue was the fuel getting too hot.
It runs great now that I added a return line.
Thanks for all the help guys!
This one nearly drove me crazy!

and the area of metal fuel line where there are 3 90* bends looked awful close to the exhaust-did you ever fix that?

and the area of metal fuel line where there are 3 90* bends looked awful close to the exhaust-did you ever fix that?

I was going to cut it out because of the bends, thinking they were a restriction, but I decided to try the return first. It turns out heat wasn't an issue way back there. What was an issue was my feed line running right next to the header collector and tubes. I ran a 3ft heat sheath and bolted the clip on the line back to the framerail, it had been left loose at some point.

-
Back