GTS Console Restoration

-

68VAHCODE

Reaction score
All.....anyone have experience with restoring the chrome console pieces or is it best to just go buy re pros?

Mine I'd say are driver quality but do have pit marks.....looking for better than driver quality.

Thanks,

Greg

Attachments

• CONSOLE CLOSE UP OF PITS.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 573
  • CONSOLE FRONT.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 533
  • CONSOLE REAR.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 518
Ha! If your name is Greg, I just got done answering your email on my shop account. :-D It does look awfully familiar ...

Thanks for the compliment Hemi!! Ohhh, that reminds me I gotta send you a message about your intake. I didn't compute last night ...

I'm wondering the same question. Leanna, could you either post the answer here or PM me too please :) Thanks. 68 GTS

All.....anyone have experience with restoring the chrome console pieces or is it best to just go buy re pros?

Mine I'd say are driver quality but do have pit marks.....looking for better than driver quality.

Thanks,

Greg

You gotta have them rechromed.

Or just clean up the existing chrome with 000 super fine steel/brass wool and wenol.

Then sand the pits in the painted areas down, fill with spot putty, re-sand to prep for final paint, mask, then paint the silver with Krylon Dull Aluminum 1403, and the black with semi gloss black.

Or check the cost of new repops through beaparts.com or Herbs and compare to getting them rechromed.

The pits in the area that show aren't too bad. Should look ok with rechrome. Would end up better with a better console door to start with as yours looks worse then the front piece? But it will take an expensive rechrome place to totally get rid of the pits on the very bottom edges of the chrome surround area and make it a pristene looking piece.

Thanks Cuda for detailed reply.....opinion of quality of repros....look good in the pictures!

leanna (cudachick) restored one that was WAY worse than yours.

I'm wondering the same question. Leanna, could you either post the answer here or PM me too please :) Thanks. 68 GTS

Following up on my quickie post earlier, this is a link to the restoration thread of a VERY nasty Barracuda center console I restored awhile back for one of our FABO members.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=178080&highlight=cuda+console

72Dodge, I quote every job individually to be fair to everyone so my PM to 68VAHCODE wouldn't really apply to you unless the parts are in exactly the same condition. If you can shoot me a few detailed pictures of yours including close ups of the nastiness -- dings, dents, damage, pitting, missing metal, etc. -- I can get back to you with a decent estimate. My email address is [email protected].

I will tell you all straight up that restoring pot metal is not an easy thing to do; if the pitting is rampant and/or deep, it can be very time consuming, labor intensive (and usually pretty expensive) when all is said and done. With my shop, obviously custom powder work is the main focus of my business ... but with all the reputable trim restoration shops dropping like flies over the last few years, I'm trying to work a few jobs in as time permits just to help fill the void in the industry. I will not and cannot claim to be an expert by any means but from what I've heard from my trim customers, the quality of work and price are beyond comparable with the guys who do it full time. It just takes me a little longer. :-D

OK, I was just referring to any general information, not a quote. Which you've posted pretty good info on, so thank you. I will send pics of mine when I can, but I don't have access to it now, and no pics. Thanks!

Have a 68 Tail panel...can use refinishing......e mail me and I'll send you some pics.

Greg

Hello....have one in decent shape but can use restoring.......$350 + shipping.

Take a look and let me know if interested.

Thanks,

Greg

Attachments

• IMG_4455.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_4453.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_4452.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_4451.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 384
Hello....have one in decent shape but can use restoring.......$350 + shipping.

Take a look and let me know if interested.

Thanks,

Greg

Yep that could use some restoring.

Has that truck lock hole been hogged out?

I really cant tell by the pics if the chrome is worthy. So you decide. Polish the top and the vertical chrome. If it is deemed worthy, machine away the pitted in the painted area and the small step at its perimeter. Repaint all the areas with argent then add the black center line and a black line at/on the perimeter step. I've seen the black detail painted some other accent color too. You could even completely remove the step and take the argent paint all the way to the vertical chrome.
No this isn't exactly a restoration. It is saving a OEM part. I prefer this over other options ( made in China ).

Had mine re-chromed and used my Dremel tool to ground out any additional pits and blisters in the painted area after the plating process. Filled in with bondo, sanded then primed with a filler/primer. Sanded one more time before final coat of paint. Just takes a little time and patience. Working on my grills right now.

Attachments

• Console I.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 310
  • Console II.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 348
  • Console III.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 311
Had mine re-chromed and used my Dremel tool to ground out any additional pits and blisters in the painted area after the plating process. Filled in with bondo, sanded then primed with a filler/primer. Sanded one more time before final coat of paint. Just takes a little time and patience. Working on my grills right now.
\

Looks very nice.

Did some of the annoying pitting at the bottom of the edges still show after the plating? Areas like that are very tough to fill with out expensive chrome restoration prep. I have really nice pieces that have great chrome everywhere just except for those spots.

How much was it to re chrome those two pieces?

WOW, that's beautiful! Really nice work ...

Wow that looks great!

\

Looks very nice.

Did some of the annoying pitting at the bottom of the edges still show after the plating? Areas like that are very tough to fill with out expensive chrome restoration prep. I have really nice pieces that have great chrome everywhere just except for those spots.

How much was it to re chrome those two pieces?

Have to dig up the invoice since it was a about a year ago but I believe it was $275 or $300. My recommendation would be to take it to a plating shop that does pot metal and let them take a look at it. You may have a lot of pits but if they're not deep they can grind just enough off but still give you the lip where the flat surface meets the edge. I didn't have any major pits at the bottom edge where it curves, only on the flat surface that I was able to fill in. They can do a couple of layers of copper to help fill in pits before sanding smooth. If your looking to save money most of the work is in prepping the piece not the plating. I have had a couple of pieces of trim stripped that I'm going to file, sand to my liking before having them plated. Ask if they'll strip it for you at no charge. Let them know you'll remove the existing paint, they like to have all paint removed before chemical stripping down to bare metal.

Well, your console blows mine out of the water! I've got another one in line right now ... so I really have something to shoot for next time. :-D Gotta love how we all keep each other inspired around here.

-
Back