Guess that noise

-

Take all the accessory drive belts off and try it , keep your eye on the engine temp gauge.
Measure the crank end play if it is tight unbolt the torque convertor and measure the end play again. If it is sloppy you probably know the answer.

I had that happen to me once; turns out in my case, the thrust bearing went out and the crank was moving back and forth. After a few thousand miles the noise went away as the TC bolts clearanced the softer engine-block material. Then it started to leak trans oil. Eventually the bolts took out the rear cam plug, and now I had two kinds of oil on the driveway.
it did the same thing; noisy on the power/ quite on coast.

Wow you sound like most of mechanics I don't take my car to. Well actually I don't take my cars to mechanics for that reason.

you can get it to make the noise (not as bad/split second) free revving it. Coming from somewhere inside the engine.

Just take the TC inspection cover off, or pry it towards the rad about a quarter of an inch, and roadtest again, to see if the racket changes.

On another engine, my dipstick was getting into the crank; but that noise was constant, and not related to throttle or load.

Just turn up the radio....that's how I deal with strange car noises....:lol:

I have these microphones on alligator clips. I would put one on starter bolt, one on each motor miunt brackes and one on fuel line near pump. Then get a second person to listen with headphones to see which one is loudest.

The kit is called chassis ear.

Well let us know when you figure it out! Inquiring minds want to know.to me it sounds a little like a crack flex plate I had one time.

Well let us know when you figure it out! Inquiring minds want to know.to me it sounds a little like a crack flex plate I had one time.
I bet that’s it!
It sounds tinny, and when under load makes perfect sense.

I bet that’s it!
It sounds tinny, and when under load makes perfect sense.
I haven't had a automatic in a hot rod in 25 years or so and I can't remember if it was my Cuda or charger but I remember that tinny click which eventually got worse.good luck!

was able to check a couple things last night. Torque converter bolts are tight (no marks on the bolt heads where they could have been hitting something)
checked all the pulley bolts.
didn't see a crack in the flex plate but I just took the small inspection cover off.
Might have to pull the starter and get a better look.

1BB37A7D-3EF9-4753-A288-02ED69FC56D8.jpeg
9B5A39D0-A453-4031-BEAF-8F785AC1B50F.png
144C4248-5F5C-475A-B465-4CA53929CA0F.jpeg
4BF1503E-81FF-4B40-B5F1-A0CCF57F18C4.jpeg

everything looks good back here.
Tried 20w50 oil with no change.
Pulled the fuel pump and nothing looked or felt bad.

Last edited:
Drove it without the dust shield with no change.
Coworker told me to pull a plug wire and use an old spark plug on each cylinder one at a time.

started on 8. Noise gone on 6

Last edited:
I'm a simple man, so I'm watching. I have an O'scope, but I love the old school way..

Ruuuuh rooooh!

Odd that it is on only one side. Bent connecting rod???

OK, I take it back. It is definitely NOT an exhaust leak!
Skep419 It appears that you had that feeling way back on post #11.

That just sucks, it does look like a bent rod. Ever been hydro locked ?

-
Back