HDK Tubular Coil Over for Stock Steering

-
Buschi340
running behind....but just about done. I will e-mail you your request tonight

Not sure if this is the first kit with the small upper balljoint, but here are some shots of the initial install before I break it back down for paint or powdercoat, haven't decided yet. I also added tabs on the lower arms for the Hotchkis swaybar I was running previously. And this is using the original Kelsey/Hayes spindle and calipers with machined to fit Mustang rotors for the 5x4.5 bolt pattern. The wheel I am running is a Wheel Vintique black steel 15x7 with 4" BS. Any more and it runs into the upper control arm BJ bucket.
Here's the fun side. Just had to unbolt and move the brake distribution block and the steering box.

a few more

Stance with no motor/trans and the 9inch 450lb springs with the least preload(spring has to be compressed 1 inch to get onto shock body and install the top cap.

anyone know the alignment specs for a more aggressive handling setup? Still need to have it aligned at some point.

Looks good Fred.....from your picture, looks similar to the bracket location for the factory sway bar.

BTW....it is the first set of UCAs with the smaller / earlier upper ball joint. Thanks for hanging with me.

Denny

Last edited:
New HDK kit to replace torsion bars and convert to coil over front suspension
while retaining stock K-member, steering box and steering linkage.

Coil%20Over%20Only%20Pkg_zpshwolby7a.jpg
Is there a contact # i call you and ask questions ?

Is there a contact # i call you and ask questions ?

Feel free to call anytime....I communicate (phone/text/e-mail) to a lot of hot rodders in the evenings and on weekends

Don't worry.....if I am tied up , I will get back to you as soon as I can.

I kinda wish I would have been tracking on this before I put the front end together, considering I tore the Demon down to a shell and had the front end out for six months!

I kinda wish I would have been tracking on this before I put the front end together, considering I tore the Demon down to a shell and had the front end out for six months!

You're welcome to come look at mine when you get home. I'm putting it in my 70 Duster with a 5.7 Hemi. I'm still doing the installation, and as slow as I'm moving......it will still be easy to see when you get back! LOL.

got everything painted so time for the motor to go back in.
Denny, on the UCA, I shaved down the outer lip, to give more clearance for the wheels/weights, when using the K/H setup. 4" BS was still too close, so the notching helped.

Attach18_zpscjvzrcqi.jpg
Attach19_zpsfdxf7mic.jpg
Attach20_zpswfqyzgpv.jpg

Just finished the install on the 66 Cuda. Ran out of time to grease everything and bleed the brakes. I've got 4 16 hour days ahead of me so it'll have to wait till next week. Pardon the wheel wells. It's my daily driver in the summer.

IMG_20161005_104935674.jpg

IMG_20161005_105002780.jpg

IMG_20161005_105022400.jpg

Just finished doing a 71 Dart on Tuesday, still need to set ride height on shocks as the car is still up in the air...

I found about an hour today to get my car back on the ground and do a test drive. Not sure if this will help but I set my coilovers up with 2 threads showing below the locking collar. My front tires are 24.9" tall. Mine measures 25" from the ground to the bottom of the fender lip above the front tire. It was at 26" with the stock suspension setup when I started. I used the coilovers and springs that Denny recommended. Car rides a lot smoother. I will get my alignment honed in this weekend.

what are the weight saving on this setup using factory disks on stock and coil over units?

post 196 ...page 8 (this thread) gives the weight difference in the HDK coil over vs factory at 8.2 lbs.....if you are looking for a weight difference between disc vs drum, maybe someone can chime in. I do not have that data.

HDK Tubular Coil Over for Stock Steering

-
Back