Header selection budget

-
TTI has priced their stuff out to the point that you can buy at least two, maybe three,cheapies now, and have new headers on your car about every third/fourth year, for about the same price........ and never have to fix the rotten merges that seem to come around about that interval, if ,like me,you run year-round.
But I just gotta say one thing; thick flanges are nice; my TTIs have never required retightening.

Well looka like ill give the summit ones a shot and dent to fit i guess hope itll still clear ps though

Whats you build? Manifolds (non 340 HP ones) could get you by until you can afford something else. I had clearance issues with Doug's and PS. The big *** coupler would hit the back tube. Otherwise their fit great. I had no issues with MS. I'd vote manifolds or save your money and get good headers once. Doug's and TTI's pop up from time to time in the for sale area. 340 Manifolds might not be a bad choice either.

That's what I did! I bought the cheap Summit headers that do not leak and have not hit the ground and work perfect at this very minute for the last 5 years...
LOL..... you are so defensive. :D

your truth.... which could be different than yesterday's truth.... LOL Carry on.
are you saying after 5 years my headers leak? Are you saying after 5 years my headers touch the ground? I'm not quite understanding how you know so much?..

We could all play this game of saving for the better part...
Let's start from the beginning why use a stock block when we could save for an R Block... And on and on and on and on....

are you saying after 5 years my headers leak? Are you saying after 5 years my headers touch the ground? I'm not quite understanding how you know so much?..
Too early in the morning for this..... I shouldn't even be up yet.... LOL

J par you have ran the summit headers before have you ran into issue with the ps hitting?

Last edited:
That was the first thing I removed out of my car besides the seven and a quarter and automatic...

That was the first thing I removed out of my car besides the seven and a quarter and automatic...
Oh so you have manual steering then? I was just wondering if you installed the headers and you had power steering

Oh so you have manual steering then? I was just wondering if you installed the headers and you had power steering
I know have your concerns about the power steering... If you're concerned about having to Dent up your$160 header's wait till you do it was $700 headers... Are you building a luxury car?..

Power steering!? for what!?....
I get rid of the power steering as well. Even both Dusters now have manual. Not just for exhaust fitment, but 1 less belt, much more room up front, faster to pull a motor and install, 40 lbs lighter, etc etc... plus I like the feel of manual steering :)

Autozone sell doug headers if they have a coupon code that usually works for the headers..not sure if that brings them any closer to your budget or not, but I'd save up for a little better header as it will help with header leaks down the road.

Autozone sell doug headers if they have a coupon code that usually works for the headers..not sure if that brings them any closer to your budget or not, but I'd save up for a little better header as it will help with header leaks down the road.
With the coupon it's still way over twice as much and again what header leaks down the road?...

I get rid of the power steering as well. Even both Dusters now have manual. Not just for exhaust fitment, but 1 less belt, much more room up front, faster to pull a motor and install, 40 lbs lighter, etc etc... plus I like the feel of manual steering :)
as much as I agree I don't think he wants to be talked into yet another project! I think he wants to get going..

With the coupon it's still way over twice as much and again what header leaks down the road?...

I have used Hedman, Summit and Dougs headers in a small block. The cheaper headers I always had to use good copper gaskets to get them to seal. If I didn't they wouldn't seal or would eventually blow part of the gasket out and needed to be replaced. I also prefer how the spark plug wires can be routed with the style of dougs headers. Cheaper style headers have the steering linkage going between tubes and hang lower. Not that huge of a deal, but it's nice when you have a little more ground clearance especially if the car is street drivein. Did the cheap headers work, yep, but if I could do over I'd buy a better set to start with and end up with more $ in my pocket in the end.

-
Back