Header selection budget

-
Sure I do. You just don't accept it. You can go buy the shop, dig through all the dyno runs and learn for yourself.

Better yet, why not spend your own money and dyno your stuff? Then you'd know. Now you just guess.

There is power in headers. Plenty to make it worth it.

Did a 383 for a customer, in a Nova. Begged him to buy 1.875 headers for it. BTDT. All his buddies and the keyboard heroes told him that that would KILL all his bottom end, make the car miserable and I just like spending his money. He was a returning customer, yet he wasn't smart enough to learn.

So he buys the 1.750 headers, and again, his buddies and the interweb world told him they were too big.

When I ordered the cam, I called out for 1.750 headers, rather than the 1.875 headers I wanted. Built the combo around HIS headers. Of course, since I'd done this many times before, we had 1.875 headers there to test.

That day, his buddies showed up, because they are all so smart they figured the big headers would lose power and we'd skew the dyno numbers to "trick" him.

We flogged his engine and made him happy. Then the 1.875 headers went on. And, just like I said, it made more power. Everywhere. IIRC it averaged 20 HP everywhere. Made more power fro the bottom of the pull, all the way up.

And it would have made more, but the cam was ground for smaller headers. We could have used a different grind for the bigger headers and made even more.

That's why you dyno test. It either proves, or disproves what you think you might know. The track can't do that. Way too many variables. That's why all the Pro Stock and Comp guys have a dyno. Because they are dumb. And most good engine shops have a dyno, and use it.
I'm not arguing that there's different power in different headers. There isn't anybody here trying to eke out three more horsepower out of a set of cheap headers. We're just hobbyist not to the last 10 thousandths drag racers..
And again as always just you saying it and saying it's true...
Poof I'm a supermodel...

The longer and more eloquent the story is written the more believable it is...

That won't matter. Most will tell you to go with the 904... I would also...
Yeah thats what i was thinking also since it would he cheaper and maybe trade or sell the 727. I am torn on headers though still thinking lol harder decision than i thought. Either a save up for awhile and get dougs or get cheapies hmmm

Also i forgot tonadd i have 2 different transmissioms i can use with my build 727 or a 904. Do one or the other have any issues with headers?
904 is smaller, giving you more room. But headers work with either

Yeah thats what i was thinking also since it would he cheaper and maybe trade or sell the 727. I am torn on headers though still thinking lol harder decision than i thought. Either a save up for awhile and get dougs or get cheapies hmmm
Yeah that's going to have to be a personal decision....
for me I'm not telling anybody what to do but I'm sticking with my cheap Summit headers until I can afford tti's... Or even better yet make my own....

Spend the time and go look it up. In fact, you probably know the dude.
Like always you kind of twist the argument. I didn't say that horsepower can't be gained by getting different headers. Just the fact remains that the Doug's headers have not bigger tubes than the summit. The inner diameter. They may be different lengths or something like that and may produce a little more horsepower who knows?...
You get people like 318 has valves that will fly puts Doug's headers on a maxi van 360... And I put cheap Summit headers on a dual quad Stroker...

Like always you kind of twist the argument. I didn't say that horsepower can't be gained by getting different headers. Just the fact remains that the Doug's headers have not bigger tubes than the summit. The inner diameter. They may be different lengths or something like that and may produce a little more horsepower who knows?...
You get people like 318 has valves that will fly puts Doug's headers on a maxi van 360... And I put cheap Summit headers on a dual quad Stroker...

See post 69. I've done the header change so many times its not even fun any more. And had you used a dyno once, you'd understand exactly what I'm saying.

Just because you bolt something on and the car doesn't go any quicker, doesn't mean it didn't make more power.

I made good money going out to skunk holler and detuning dirt track cars and made them quicker. Everybody at every circle track is a chassis tuner, and thinks they can hook anything. Most can't. I used to to work for one of the best chassis guys in the NW. And he's a super nice guy too.

tti and dougs don't require wrap or special boots in order not to burn plug wires. plus they don't hang all low and stupid under the car..

DSC02539.JPG

DSC02553.JPG

Last edited:
See post 69. I've done the header change so many times its not even fun any more. And had you used a dyno once, you'd understand exactly what I'm saying.

Just because you bolt something on and the car doesn't go any quicker, doesn't mean it didn't make more power.

I made good money going out to skunk holler and detuning dirt track cars and made them quicker. Everybody at every circle track is a chassis tuner, and thinks they can hook anything. Most can't. I used to to work for one of the best chassis guys in the NW. And he's a super nice guy too.
you should have said something I was out at Sunset Speedway and didn't see you this summer...
Until you show up somewhere and I see you for myself your just internet hearsay... Sorry...

Hooker competition. 5/16 flange vs 1/4 for other cheapies. 16 gauge tubing vs 18. welded collector flange also 5/16 thick. On my 68 dart not one dent required with ps. Had to beat my hedmans to death to make them fit. I do like hedmans ball and socket collector.

For the record mine have wrap on them because I wanted it and I have never burned a spark plug wire and again like the picture shows no scrapes on the bottom...

you should have said something I was out at Sunset Speedway and didn't see you this summer...
Until you show up somewhere and I see you for myself your just internet hearsay... Sorry...

That's your problem.

If you notice, I didn't even post in this thread until you ran your mouth about things you don't evidently know.

And you can't pay me enough to go to any circle track races any more. BTDT. Why I don't go to the drags much any more. I would have went to meet Skrews, but the weather skrewed that up.

That's your problem.

If you notice, I didn't even post in this thread until you ran your mouth about things you don't evidently know.

And you can't pay me enough to go to any circle track races any more. BTDT. Why I don't go to the drags much any more. I would have went to meet Skrews, but the weather skrewed that up.
I don't have the problem you do! Showing up!... You're going to get another chance in December let's hope you don't blow it...

LOL. I don't know what that means, but it's funny.

BTW, are we getting together when I come over in December, or when I come over in a couple of weeks? I gotta call lead69 and see if he's up for tuning his carb earlier than we planned. Hopefully it's dry so he can drive the car.
I've talked to lead and I'm ready...
Again Talk's cheap seeing is believing my car is ready...
Foghorn Leghorn.jpg

I've talked to lead and I'm ready...
Again Talk's cheap seeing is believing my car is ready...
View attachment 1715415819

LOL. I'm coming over for my moms surgery and in December be got my doctors appointment and probably a second surgery for my mom in December. So I'm not dragging my car over for that.

So we'll get together in November. I'll call lead69 and make sure he has his stuff ready.

LOL. I'm coming over for my moms surgery and in December be got my doctors appointment and probably a second surgery for my mom in December. So I'm not dragging my car over for that.

So we'll get together in November. I'll call lead69 and make sure he has his stuff ready.

Oh good gravy.... I certainly didn't mean for you to bring your car.. I've long given up on that fantasy.... If lead gives me a heads up I'll make sure to have the day off. And if the weather's good I'll drive my car for sure. But hear this clearly if I take the day off and you did not show I will clown you on this forum till Days end... Everywhere every thread until I'm thrown off....

YR
That's the way Jere Stahl did it
Match the headers and cam
Test
That's the way I did it
Keep it up

All bull crap! I change my spark plugs no problem... Compression check no problem.. I've had my headers on for 5 years and not one scratch on the bottom of them....
even if I can directly look straight at my spark plug I don't try and change it when it's red hot... Who the hell does that.,
Truly the issue here is the manufacturers quality control and the minor variance between header makers. Even though they all look the same, some do hang lower than others.

Oh good gravy.... I certainly didn't mean for you to bring your car.. I've long given up on that fantasy.... If lead gives me a heads up I'll make sure to have the day off. And if the weather's good I'll drive my car for sure. But hear this clearly if I take the day off and you did not show I will clown you on this forum till Days end... Everywhere every thread until I'm thrown off....

Probably be on a Sunday. Hopefully a dry one.

-
Back