HEI in Mopar ECU casing

-
Due to an over-rev, I now run an MSD-6AL in my car, but since it takes up no room, I left the stock system in place. I can switch to factory electronic ignition in a minute or two by connecting wires.

I have a plug n' play HEI harness that trunkmonkey holds for safe keeping, in case the factory electronics and the MSD both crap. The HEI is so small, there's no reason not to carry it and again, it's a plug n' play.

With a llittle forethought, you can run three different ignition systems in under a minute with only 4 wires to unplug.

ok im so interested in doing this to mine....i have been running into so many problems with my dizzy and want to get rid of my points. so if i ordered this http://www.ebay.com/itm/330830750870 what else would i need to get. i have an ignition coil that is black with a chrome bracket. the bracket has msd on it but i dont know if it is just a sticker or an actual msd brand

You would also need a new coil and plug wires for the male terminals on the dizzy cap.
I'm pretty sure you could get all that from the ebay seller.

BC

I've been using HEI on my slant for a while. It definitely starts easier, idles smoother than the orange box I had on there. I used the AC delco module. Beware of the cheaper ones, they don't last as long. I have learned to keep an extra one in the glove box.

Sorry no progress yet, is still waiting for my boss to make the bracket.

... so if i ordered this http://www.ebay.com/itm/330830750870 what else would i need to get. i have an ignition coil that is black with a chrome bracket. ..
I bought the same HEI distributor from skipwhite, plus the e-core coil he offers (read his listing). To get full benefit of HEI, you want an e-core, not an old round oil-filled coil.

After-market e-core coils are usually easier to wire, but you could use a factory one if you grab the matching cable at the junkyard. Ex. Magnum engines have one at the front of the head. I am thinking of replacing the 4 pin module in mine with an 8-pin module going to a GM cable to the GM coil. The 8-pin will let me control spark timing with the Holley Commander 950 ECU I plan to add.

After-market e-core coils are usually easier to wire, but you could use a factory one if you grab the matching cable at the junkyard. Ex. Magnum engines have one at the front of the head.

I agree E-Core is the way to go but i didn't think the magnum coil was an e-core design? Either way, the oem one only puts out like 36K volts so the ford one would be better in theory as it puts out a bunch more power i thought...assuming everything is matched up such as ohms

That looks pretty good, I might have to build one. I think you should reattach the transistor/ heat sink "for looks"

I would not have bothered with push-on connectors, I'd just solder the wires right to the HEI

thanks for your comment. You like this one better? Everything´s possible, but i think i´ll keep it plain with a sticker or sth.

I used the connectors due to the cheap module, if it fails i can put another one in easily without soldering and away from home.

Michael

Well, LOL, ya can always stick your finger on the transistor to see if it's hot, or get shocked!!!!

...(273?) posted a photo of an MSD box that was empty inside, save for a little HEI module. I wonder if the Chinese sold those cheap on ebay. They even go so far as to laser engrave fake SN's.

Car Craft or HR exposed the fake stuff in a recent article. ALL the fake MSD boxes had the same serial number of 682013! They also had phillips screws on the rev limiter socket instead of torx...Also The Auto Meter tachs that have the RED or yellow capped lens are fake too, real are amber and have "shift lite" on the side. Tricky bastards!

...(273?) posted a photo of an MSD box that was empty inside, save for a little HEI module. I wonder if the Chinese sold those cheap on ebay. They even go so far as to laser engrave fake SN's.

Car Craft or HR exposed the fake stuff in a recent article. ALL the fake MSD boxes had the same serial number of 682013! They also had phillips screws on the rev limiter socket instead of torx...Also The Auto Meter tachs that have the RED or yellow capped lens are fake too, real are amber and have "shift lite" on the side. Tricky bastards!

nice job...looks great

am i reading correctly,,MSD makes a module thats hotter for the GM unit being converted on this topic?

... am i reading correctly,,MSD makes a module thats hotter for the GM unit being converted on this topic?
MSD sells the GM 4-wire HEI module in red color, with their logo. If you prefer yellow, Accel has that. Don't know they are better or even come from a different factory, but you are assured to pay more than a standard Wells PN.

I became fed up to wait for my boss make the bracket. So I did plan B and made a plate like 360duster. 360duster your plate looks to be laser cut? It looks good.

Next thing is to paint the casing black.

DSC_2218_zps3f6e0822.jpg

DSC_2219_zpsffd9c717.jpg

DSC_2220_zpse439ac42.jpg

Thanks, but its not lasercut, i am just good with a file :D

Still no chance for me to Test, now we have below zero degree Celsius........****.

Michael

Wow guys! Great job!! Very interested on how these work out for you!

Also if I read this correctly, you can just hook it up to the factory harness. But you should remove the ballast resistor, (then what do you do with the wires that connect to that), just connect them together? And then switch to a different coil?

-
Back