Help me outrun an AMC Gremlin

-
Depending on his abilities, dual quads are not usually very fast. They look and sound cool. Gremlins are very light. But they suffer from traction issues - big traction issues (not just spinning but nasty wheel hop) because of the short wheelbase. Attached is one I've done a lot of work on, one of my best friends owns it. It's a 360 with bolt ons and a small nitrous kit. Fun, but a handful to drive and not terribly quick because of the things I mentioned. I'm now building a 401 for him that will be much stouter and run a bigger kit, plus he's got a bunch of suspension work planned. I would put any well tuned and well set up 360 with bolt ons in a Dart with tires and gears against a 360. No problem.

IMG-20140526-00136.jpg

100% agreed! This is exactly what the stuff is for. You just drive your car like normal don't do a thing get a $500 nitrous set all set up perfect take off at the drag strip and then hit that button and leave them in the dust! Then put the thing away til you needed the next time not have to change a damn thing.

Oh hell just build the teen to 400 easy h.p and throw a 150 shot at it'you'll at least keep up if not beat him

I installed a 401 'Police interceptor" engine in a Gremlin back in the 70's.

That thing was awesome, he stole a lotta $$ and gold with that sleeper, only outside indication was the wiiide rear tires on steel rims..
That build turned out really well.

I think nitros may be your only hope..

good luck

Like they been saying, nitrous. But like most things in life just having it aint enough. You got to know how to use it. Same with a drag strip. Have you been down a strip before? Has he? Average Joe will say,"its simple. Light turns green you floor it." Lost already,more like last yellow,leave. You need to know how to use the track. The only way to learn is practice,practice and practice. And dont let the other guy know. Cause he can show up all slick and pretty but if he hasnt been testing and practicing he gonna lose.

The nos sounds good but I talked to my dad this morning and he recommended finding a 440. I looked on car-part.com and seen there is some available. Does a 440 seem like a good route?

The nos sounds good but I talked to my dad this morning and he recommended finding a 440. I looked on car-part.com and seen there is some available. Does a 440 seem like a good route?

If you thought budget was a priority, forget it putting a 440 in the car.

Ok. I bought a 72 Dart swinger with a 318 from my brother. I pick it up during Mopar Nats weekend. I got a guy here at work with an old gremlin he's building. He is shooting for 350 hp. I am on a budget so I can't go too crazy and I want my dart to be streetable. What can I do to outrun this dude? I was thinking cam, heads, intake, carb, and headers on a la360 but I'm not sure it will be enough. Would a stroker motor be the way to go? Any help would be appreciated

My first car was a 1973 Gremlin X with a 360 from an AMX, 4 speed, I believe 3:43 gears. It was a beast. I can tell you in my opinion your going to need more than a 318 to play this game. If he can get traction and power to the ground, you will need a good stout 340 at least.

Like they been saying, nitrous. But like most things in life just having it aint enough. You got to know how to use it. Same with a drag strip. Have you been down a strip before? Has he? Average Joe will say,"its simple. Light turns green you floor it." Lost already,more like last yellow,leave. You need to know how to use the track. The only way to learn is practice,practice and practice. And dont let the other guy know. Cause he can show up all slick and pretty but if he hasnt been testing and practicing he gonna lose.

My first round i when agence a slower car, so he left first. caught him by half track and i decelerated all the way to the finish line. He never past me! Thinking that i had dialed wrong or they messed up in the tower. NOPE! I cut a shitty .109 reaction time, He cut a .997 light! LOL.
Was talking to him afterward. Was his first time drag racing and he was waiting for the green light to come on before he left!!!!:lol:

The only thing I learned about an AMC is that if they know what there doing, they will mop up the floor with many unsuspecting people thinking there going to kill the AMC easy. Those fuckers can run when done right.

Pretty easy for you to make 400 horse out of a budget magnum build. That should beat him regardless of which engine he has.
This..some camshaft,an air gap intake,a good reground cam,& some GOOD valve springs (1110 Hughes,or equivalence) You have a Mopar with leaf springs,it can be tuned.. Go get a Direct Connection/Mopar Performance Chassis tuning manual ...It teaches some really good technical,and gives you a basis to work from.... Just my opinion:If the engine currently runs,work the chassis first.Quick E.T.'s come from reliability & knowledge ,come from knowing the chassis..,Then you add the horsepower...Just my opine....

Someone forgot to tell my car this. As a matter of fact, I put my first set of dual quads on my ild 318 and lost a half second....
Depending on his abilities, dual quads are not usually very fast.

Last edited:
A gremlin was my first street car as RRR stated they will
haul *** with very little cubes and mods. Mine had a 304
Bored .030 to clean it up zero decked and milled .015 from the heads. Put on a eddy dual plane and a Holley 650 and a set of headman headers and that thing kicked small block Chevys asses on a regular basis.

-
Back