High CFM heads - What would you chose?

-
Oh yea! Those Champman CNC heads were really sweet and totally stupid expensive! Danm shame IMO. They really screwed the common guy on those.

The W5 is the small block equivalent to the Stage 6 for the BB.
:thumbsup:

The small block TF units are capable. Your looking to make more than 600hp?

Yeah alot more lol well mines a boosted build, but I also went with the ritter block for mine. I'll see how the ede magnum heads do as they are currently on the engine.

Here’s a test I’d like to see(it’ll never happen...... but I’d still like to see it).

TF heads vs Big Mouth heads vs prepped/blended non-cnc ported Indy 360-1’s.
Mid level roller cam, 408/416 with flat tops, 1-7/8 headers, something like an HP 950 carb.

The engine shop is family run/owned. The grandson of the shop was schooled by Joe Mondello at his head porting school way back when and has taken off running with it. He offered to tweak the head further but I declined. The wallet grew thin and ya GOTTA pay the man.

He has another set of my heads now. Porting the “Other” W5 heads is a low priority right now. But they would be next and then the iron W2’s. Then I’m done.

Sorry, no. I only heard (AKA-read) about his CNC program for other heads. I really don’t remember much of anything on them.

LOL...we are never “done”...it just takes longer to do it.

The W5 is the small block equivalent to the Stage 6 for the BB.

I fixed piles of those things.

At the end of the stage 6, they had somewhat gotten it sorted out.
The Zeus casting heads had most of the really troublesome crap taken care of.

Then there was the version of those castings that got sent to Chapman.
Those were really nice heads...... but MP priced themselves right out of the market.
They were over 4K for a pair of bare castings that needed custom valves and rocker gear.

Yep. They had something to work with and they just didn’t learn from the stage 6 heads.

The W7 was the improved version of the W7. And thy raised the roof and floor and raised the valve spring pockets.

I’ve seen some goofy “In-between” W7 heads.

So I've been thinking a lot about a theoretical goal in the future and what induction system I should look towards.. With price of heads, intake and rocker systems in mind, What would be a good path to follow for over 300+ CFM intake flow?
Looking towards a Victor setup which uses w5 parts. Just thought I'd start a discussion on this
i have brodix heads with 2.08 intake valves not sure if they still make them for small block mopars

According to the website they still do

Here’s a test I’d like to see(it’ll never happen...... but I’d still like to see it).

TF heads vs Big Mouth heads vs prepped/blended non-cnc ported Indy 360-1’s.
Mid level roller cam, 408/416 with flat tops, 1-7/8 headers, something like an HP 950 carb.
Leaning towards maybe sending mine to hughes for the big mouth test. In the meantime see what my stage 4 porting makes

Are yours currently SSDS?
Really hoping to pop the valves off to inspect Ryan's port work. But I had to order a heavier duty compressor for high spring rate.

20200522_215440.jpg

I’ve had one set of those here done by him.
I don’t know which “stage” they were.

When they got here, they had already been freshened by, from how bad the seat work looked, a shop that was def not qualified to do the work.
The seats had been sunk pretty badly.
I ended up putting bigger intake valves in to bring the seats up a bit.
Then blended everything back in.
The exhaust seats just got cut and blended...... they weren’t as bad.

My recollection is that afterward, the intake were mid-270’s.
Exhaust maybe 220’s.
I recall thinking the ex ports were working pretty good.

I’ve had one set of those here done by him.
I don’t know which “stage” they were.

When they got here, they had already been freshened by, from how bad the seat work looked, a shop that was def not qualified to do the work.
The seats had been sunk pretty badly.
I ended up putting bigger intake valves in to bring the seats up a bit.
Then blended everything back in.
The exhaust seats just got cut and blended...... they weren’t as bad.

My recollection is that afterward, the intake were mid-270’s.
Exhaust maybe 220’s.
I recall thinking the ex ports were working pretty good.
Yeah that's exactly where these were according to his test. But I find it funny another set ended up on Stan Weiss chart at stage 4 with 293cfm peak intake. Lol so either false results or no consistency

If you ever checked out Ryan website he jumped up to a 2.05 valve in one of the stages. Pretty sure every stage required you to get his valve job

Search member ironmike and big mouth heads dyno.

They weren't all they were cracked up to be

They do something when they port heads that I really hate but I won’t post it here. A member wanted me to flow a set of heads they ported but I didn’t have the time so a very well know Pa engine builder flowed them for him. He sold them on Craigslist shortly after.

Well then let me ask you the question on what not to do when I attempt to port heads. What would your #1 and work in thing be on that list?

Sorry guys, got back from work and the world went FUBAR on me.
Port numbers later...

Well then let me ask you the question on what not to do when I attempt to port heads. What would your #1 and work in thing be on that list?

Sorry guys, got back from work and the world went FUBAR on me.
Port numbers later...

I’m dragging azz from this heat but if you are asking out number one thing to do and number one not to do is I try to avoid major floor work as it limits my shaping of the short turn. Number one thing I do is widen the shortside and shape it according to where it sends the air into the cylinder. Aim the air away from the cylinder wall and towards the center of the cylinder. I hope that came out right.

You see quite a few W2 small blocks but not W5's. Must be too big of a hassle to make them work. There was a Duster at the track a few years ago with a NASCAR Truck engine but he could never get it to work well.

i ran W5 heads. Make great power. Modern cylinder head has a good CNC program for them.
You can make an Indy intake work on them.
Problem is the castings are pretty lousy, unless you get lucky. Porous.
They are capable of making 700 horsepower with the right combo. I made 650 with mine, guy that bought my car later made 700 with them

Not really... there certainly not a head you just blindly slamm valves in and go run. Thats actually insane... I'll add to what YR says below...

Mostly because the had is to closely based on the OE lay out.You can only get so much out of it and thats it. (Any head really)

The intake side ported out pretty good on mine but did give up the ghost a little bit early. Still, on bench Brett had the heads flowed on, 312 cfm on a 4.125 bore will make good power.

As cast, ummmm, YUCK? I think would apply. Could be worse though...

my old W5 heads went 140 mph at 3220.
Had a W2 Victor intake on them Brett welded up to make work. Takes lots of squeeze and a spring eater roller to do that

-
Back