High CFM heads - What would you chose?

-
Nice job on these.
Looks like you filled in the spring pocket area as well.

The basic port work looks very similar to what was done to the stage 6’s used for the Moparts Enginemasters entry many moons ago. We didn’t do anything with the spring pockets though.

4EE1716C-977D-4295-88E4-4D7DE966B505.jpeg

Here is a pic of them in progress:

2EA5FD1B-F575-4989-B7A1-444DF8B85D20.png

Last edited:
Nice job on these.

Very similar to what was done to the stage 6’s used for the Moparts Enginemasters entry many moons ago.

View attachment 1715559190

Here is a pic of them in progress:

View attachment 1715559192
Wicked! Anyone ever had bad epoxy let go when closing the floor and raising the roof like that? I had to only do this once to an intake not a head.

I thought my w5s where about low on the flow.
1,6 exh and 2,08 intake valves newly done.

View attachment 1715559186

View attachment 1715559187

You have a most radically altered port there buddy. Your numbers suggest a potential of a very powerful build.

IF! Next year is good to me.... LOL....
I’ll get back to my program. I have lots to do.
When I get to the final cam, I can think about how I want my cam ground. As of right now, IF I was finished with the build, I’d like to try and run a few cams I have laying around just for fun. Just to see what they do.

I have very limited experience at the track, so, I figured it would be to my advantage to learn how to walk before I run.... and fall! (Crash)

There are some guys around here with pullers who buy used(including well used..... and used up) old BBC oval track heads at the big swap meets.
Most of those have quite a bit of epoxy in them.
And many times....... there are missing pieces.
Sometimes..... big pieces.

Yeh..... you know where it went.

I don’t believe in the this bench flows low or this bench flows high excuse. I stupidly had a flowbench (orfice 6 motors) that took readings at 10 inches of depression and converted them to 28 inches and had a flow tube to calibrate it. Well I was getting into porting for customers and didn’t trust the conversion so I kept it but bought a Quick Flow 400 flowbench (pilot style bench with fluid manometers). That bench had a single big azz blower driven by a 5 horsepower motor. I hated that bench as the fluid manometers changed ever hour. To convert flow numbers you had to take a reading at every .100 (example.06, 1.30, 1.84, 2.3) and convert it to a flow number. Then you were supposed to favor the readings based on temp, humidity, etc, when the test was taken. Loud, non user friendly, and inaccurate. So I took the best of my first bench and upgraded it to 36 inches of depression capabilities (8 motors) and easily checked for calibration with an orfice plate. The bench varies maybe and I said maybe 3 cfm all year. At the very least give the customer before and after numbers.

FBE0A54C-3D12-4D61-B829-C5884A5916A2.png
I had a friend that brought a set of aluminum Barton heads for me to check out years ago. They were uglier than heck with raised epoxy ports. The heads maxed out between 325-330 cfm. I recommend he not buy them as the epoxy was all dry cracked most of the way through the epoxy. At the time I didn’t realize that the 360-2 Indy head was basically a copy of those heads

I don’t believe in the this bench flows low or this bench flows high excuse. I stupidly had a flowbench (orfice 6 motors) that took readings at 10 inches of depression and converted them to 28 inches and had a flow tube to calibrate it. Well I was getting into porting for customers and didn’t trust the conversion so I kept it but bought a Quick Flow 400 flowbench (pilot style bench with fluid manometers). That bench had a single big azz blower driven by a 5 horsepower motor. I hated that bench as the fluid manometers changed ever hour. To convert flow numbers you had to take a reading at every .100 (example.06, 1.30, 1.84, 2.3) and convert it to a flow number. Then you were supposed to favor the readings based on temp, humidity, etc, when the test was taken. Loud, non user friendly, and inaccurate. So I took the best of my first bench and upgraded it to 36 inches of depression capabilities (8 motors) and easily checked for calibration with an orfice plate. The bench varies maybe and I said maybe 3 cfm all year. At the very least give the customer before and after numbers.

That's a big jump from 10 to 36. Did you change all 8 or just add 2? Domels right?

83E9C458-1CF4-4F50-9573-4F8A44B044D3.jpeg
F26BABBD-45AA-4D70-8882-F671DCF9B089.jpeg
DC0675C8-6631-41B1-85C3-09843AE42F0B.jpeg
F12C28D4-014E-43BA-AFE3-B17978F536FC.jpeg
That's a big jump from 10 to 36. Did you change all 8 or just add 2? Domels right?

Built a whole new bench and sold my other one to a friend (the orfice bench) he loves it and is learning a lot. Here’s the one I built. Excuse the paint job as I started using it and never final coated it

That's a lot of cfm. Are you running 3 phase?

That's a lot of cfm. Are you running 3 phase?

Single phase 30 amp circuit. Two motors are on a reastrate and even with my B1 heads I’ve only ever had to run 4-5 motors. (420 cfm) I flow at 28 inches till I want to try something to see how a poet hangs on when I push it. I have 100 amp in my shop (welding plug for tug and mig welder, 220 five horsepower two stage compressor, and flowbench plug). I haven’t kicked a breaker yet but then again my Dad wired it and split everything up nicely.

71F50305-1E80-488A-ADB9-1E33B99FC6DA.jpeg
82CB3E50-755E-404D-9CBD-B2954FB873F4.jpeg
25708771-3AE7-4F45-8FE6-AD02C8ADC294.jpeg
226716AE-32DE-409D-965B-9320033F6989.jpeg
I had to go back around 5 years to find pictures of my 360-1 Indy heads that are on my 422 right now. It’s gone 9.42 with a solid lifter cam and running out of power with my 4.88 gears around 1000 foot. I hit a little water on one exhaust port so I took one off five years ago and it was in a spot I was capable of welding. Indy castings aren’t the best for us head porters. Here’s a few porting bench pictures

I agree with this. If you are using correction software, you can flow a head any time, any where in any weather conditions and use the corrected numbers and they should all be the same or damn close to the same. Like .05% or better.

-
Back