Highest flowing sbm heads?

-
Yup, 2 HP/CID on pump gas is playing in rare air.

that P7 deal mentioned earlier that makes 850@ 358 inches could possibly be a contender.
not sure how much power knocking it down into pump gas range would make it( I have huge respect for compression) end up at, but 850 horse to 715-720 is quite a bit that would have to slide off.
Man are those heads good:realcrazy:

sure you are not FOS and you don't have your head in the clouds
Could you please expand on why you think he's FOS?

Trying to understand your reasoning for what you wrote.

Happy for you that your as lucky as a ******* leprechaun......Nobody in their right mind would ever recommend a stock block for those type power levels and also your higher than Mt Everest for praising the W5's and is making me question anything you have to say because a wiser person would have said if you want to make big TROUBLE FREE POWER then you run some W8'S or W9's and if you are a gambler and don't mind owning a sprinkler system then give some W5's a shot. Brian at IMM is a very nice guy and very smart and good machinist but show me some big power builds he has done....seems to me most of what I see him posting about are 500-600 hp type stuff.
My “mild” W8 R3 mill was built by Brian ([email protected])….. he actually directed me to a more parts friendly camshaft profile that would be more towards the “set it, and forget it” and not so much “kill”. looked like new inside at 220 passes (since we had to fix the oil pan….wheel stand issue). He’s also had some pretty stout big block chevy and Mopars in the shop, but i do believe their “bread and butter” are the builds you mentioned.

ahhhh the W5….. you broke my heart Fredo! My first meeting with Brian (IMM) was centered around building W5 engine #2 after our leaky new blue plug heads that all you rat bastards said were good destroyed a short block (engine 1 was built in SoDak and other than the broken rod due to trying to compress water looked great inside). they leaked, were epoxied, then leaked again. I had two sets of W5 heads and was going to have IMM port them and build another engine….. he had a look of concern and wasn’t really saying much until I pressed him….. I believe the quote was “did you learn anything the first time?”…. so we halted that project and decided the new Ebrock Victors we’d try, but they kept pushing the release date and I ended up buying a top end that Brett Miller had laying around and ordered a new 9.2 deck R3 at work because i could do that once upon a time.

honestly the W5 was just another GREAT idea that was poorly executed by MP and their chosen foundrys. If the castings weren’t such a crapshoot I’d probably still be running them. Made for a great/fun mid 9 mill. Believe ours flowed in the .335 range. We tried to have our leaky W5 repaired but it crumbled as they tried to weld on it.

touting the W5 as a great head is akin to me saying my 90% stockish 904 is a great race transmission, or the 8.75 is great for a race car. You dance in a minefield with any of them imho…..

fwiw our W8 (old Brett design) flowed over 400 on two different benches….. I have all the right pieces for a high 8 sec mill, but just toned her down a bit.

and for the W5 crowd Shane at Precision Cylinder Head has a cnc program for them. Not sure why this late in the game, but he does.

My “mild” W8 R3 mill was built by Brian ([email protected])….. he actually directed me to a more parts friendly camshaft profile that would be more towards the “set it, and forget it” and not so much “kill”. looked like new inside at 220 passes (since we had to fix the oil pan….wheel stand issue). He’s also had some pretty stout big block chevy and Mopars in the shop, but i do believe their “bread and butter” are the builds you mentioned.

ahhhh the W5….. you broke my heart Fredo! My first meeting with Brian (IMM) was centered around building W5 engine #2 after our leaky new blue plug heads that all you rat bastards said were good destroyed a short block (engine 1 was built in SoDak and other than the broken rod due to trying to compress water looked great inside). they leaked, were epoxied, then leaked again. I had two sets of W5 heads and was going to have IMM port them and build another engine….. he had a look of concern and wasn’t really saying much until I pressed him….. I believe the quote was “did you learn anything the first time?”…. so we halted that project and decided the new Ebrock Victors we’d try, but they kept pushing the release date and I ended up buying a top end that Brett Miller had laying around and ordered a new 9.2 deck R3 at work because i could do that once upon a time.

honestly the W5 was just another GREAT idea that was poorly executed by MP and their chosen foundrys. If the castings weren’t such a crapshoot I’d probably still be running them. Made for a great/fun mid 9 mill. Believe ours flowed in the .335 range. We tried to have our leaky W5 repaired but it crumbled as they tried to weld on it.

touting the W5 as a great head is akin to me saying my 90% stockish 904 is a great race transmission, or the 8.75 is great for a race car. You dance in a minefield with any of them imho…..

fwiw our W8 (old Brett design) flowed over 400 on two different benches….. I have all the right pieces for a high 8 sec mill, but just toned her down a bit.

and for the W5 crowd Shane at Precision Cylinder Head has a cnc program for them. Not sure why this late in the game, but he does.

It’s about time you joined the fun. I mentioned your name very early in this post for some input. Lol

Could you please expand on why you think he's FOS?

Trying to understand your reasoning for what you wrote.
maybe take a remedial reading class ? i said he is not FOS , OR IS THAT BEYOND YOUR COMPREHENSION . HYSTERIC GOOD NAME FOR A BUFFOON

yep….as I posted earlier in the thread the W5 is a great head,but the castings suck. Yes, even the “ blue plug” ones, they are just maybe “ less worse”
Those that maintain getting those later blue plug units absolves them of leaking….haha…. They belong on a dry Arizona lawn with a hose hooked up to them
it’s too bad a decent foundry wasn't enlisted to pour them, they had nice ( 700 horse) power potential, for what is still a relatively small head with 2.08 valve.

maybe take a remedial reading class ? i said he is not FOS , OR IS THAT BEYOND YOUR COMPREHENSION . HYSTERIC GOOD NAME FOR A BUFFOON
lol, bro. you didn't use any punctuation, a remedial reading class won't help anyone understand what you were trying to say.

Your in box is full there buddy.
Can I get some contact info for Shane @ Precision Cylinder Head

sure you are not FOS and you don't have your head in the clouds
^^^^ WTF^^^^

Your "no punctuation" using *** is telling someone else to take a reading class? You aren't even using capital letters! LOL

Good-Bad-Cat.gif

That's a bit rich coming from some one who butchers the English language wouldn't you think?

Oh the Irony of this post.....

I have not read through this whole thing so I apologize if this is a re-hash but where do the Indy 360-1 or -2 heads fit in here?

Also, are the Bloomer heads readily available for purchase? As has been mentioned previously, there's no info out there on where you can get them, how much they cost, etc. Is he even still doing them? I have one of his 4" cranks in my 416", it's a nice piece.

I have not read through this whole thing so I apologize if this is a re-hash but where do the Indy 360-1 or -2 heads fit in here?

Also, are the Bloomer heads readily available for purchase? As has been mentioned previously, there's no info out there on where you can get them, how much they cost, etc. Is he even still doing them? I have one of his 4" cranks in my 416", it's a nice piece.

3-2-1 he will be right in. Lol

They were available to purchase, but last I heard there were only so many sets Cnc and there was a shortage of castings. Best bet would be to get in touch with rod. The price is variable because rod doesn’t have any preset spring options. He will pick, or you pick to suit your application. All said and done it’s about 3 ish k

They were available to purchase, but last I heard there were only so many sets Cnc and there was a shortage of castings. Best bet would be to get in touch with rod. The price is variable because rod doesn’t have any preset spring options. He will pick, or you pick to suit your application. All said and done it’s about 3 ish k

Alright, fair enough thanks.

Alright, fair enough thanks.
In all honesty they are a nice in between from say a trickflow and the more exotic stuff. Rod had a pump gas 421 that made 657 with them. Unfortunately there just not a mass produced item but they are obtainable as long as he has castings I would think.

What happened to the Airwolf head? Might not be the entirely correct name, but I remember seeing a magazine test of a build (I know, suspect already) and I remember the motor being over 600 hp. No idea on the specifics, but I kind of remember looking them up and they were by Dr. J?

Did they get a different label? Or were they "vaporware"?

Not tossing them out there as an option (I have no input on that topic), just a curiosity.

What happened to the Airwolf head? Might not be the entirely correct name, but I remember seeing a magazine test of a build (I know, suspect already) and I remember the motor being over 600 hp. No idea on the specifics, but I kind of remember looking them up and they were by Dr. J?

Not tossing them out there as an option (I have no input on that topic), just a curiosity.
Apparently they were pretty good heads, I knew I guy who got them early on. Apparently air wolf went out of business or something along those lines so I don’t believe they are available anymore

Apparently they were pretty good heads, I knew I guy who got them early on. Apparently air wolf went out of business or something along those lines so I don’t believe they are available anymore
Ahhhh….. DrJ! Can’t remember that guys name (Bruce Mulvey??), but he took money and disappeared. There were a couple guys on moparts that got burned. the late Mopar Billy (Gebhardt) finally got a set and they’re probably still on his old white dragweek car. It took some time and he thought he’d been had, but they finally materialized.

Indy heads….. can’t remember what series Shiloh had on his Dart when I met him, but he had decals made with Indy and a little sprinkler by it .

Ahhhh….. DrJ! Can’t remember that guys name (Bruce Mulvey??), but he took money and disappeared. There were a couple guys on moparts that got burned. the late Mopar Billy (Gebhardt) finally got a set and they’re probably still on his old white dragweek car. It took some time and he thought he’d been had, but they finally materialized.

Watch what you say about Bryce (Dr Jackoff) or his heads because someone will call you a liar or possibly another name.

-
Back