Highest flowing sbm heads?

-
I think with 13:1 plus and a few other things could get those heads very close or at 700. What do you think ?

I am a big believer in time slips with mph on them, and not so much dyno numbers.
That said, I see Rod Bloomer just spent the last several days on the dyno at BES.
He had a 416 on there with his Bloomer heads, made 680 and 590 torque.
don’t know any other details on the motor, other than they ran it on 111 for consistency, but Rod thinks it would be fine with pump gas.
the pull at BES is on his Facebook page. Motor sounds nice at 7k:rolleyes:

For comparison sake, the 421 with bloomer heads made 657 on the same dyno and has been 6.08 at 112 thus far at 2920 pounds. Still has 1 5/8 headers on it, he is getting new ones made. Rod sold the guy the complete motor that was on the dyno that made 657, and guy stuck it in his AMX.

man, my pooch is really a pooch, definitely needs some tweeks:BangHead:

I am a big believer in time slips with mph on them, and not so much dyno numbers.
That said, I see Rod Bloomer just spent the last several days on the dyno at BES.
He had a 416 on there with his Bloomer heads, made 680 and 590 torque.
don’t know any other details on the motor, other than they ran it on 111 for consistency, but Rod thinks it would be fine with pump gas.
the pull at BES is on his Facebook page. Motor sounds nice at 7k:rolleyes:

For comparison sake, the 421 with bloomer heads made 657 on the same dyno and has been 6.08 at 112 thus far at 2920 pounds. Still has 1 5/8 headers on it, he is getting new ones made. Rod sold the guy the complete motor that was on the dyno that made 657, and guy stuck it in his AMX.

man, my pooch is really a pooch, definitely needs some tweeks:BangHead:
That's a pretty respectable torque number, I'd appreciate more details on the build if You get them, and what the curve looks like. If it will actually run safely on pump premium, it may very well make more hp on it, like to see that run.
Track HP is King for sure, given conditions are consistant, & as long as the test platform is the same. The MPH don't lie...

That's a pretty respectable torque number, I'd appreciate more details on the build if You get them, and what the curve looks like. If it will actually run safely on pump premium, it may very well make more hp on it, like to see that run.
Track HP is King for sure, given conditions are consistant, & as long as the test platform is the same. The MPH don't lie...

he put a little more info on his Facebook page

260/264..flat tappet..565/565 lift
106 in at 104
convertor 4900-5000
Well not to state the obvious that you already know lol. But I’m guessing biggest gain would be getting the lift .630 plus with the better heads. Do you think it needs a looser converter ?

Well not to state the obvious that you already know lol. But I’m guessing biggest gain would be getting the lift .630 plus with the better heads. Do you think it needs a looser converter ?

car has several issues
1. only has 1 5/8 Doug’s headers on it
That issue I have a fix coming for
2. agree about lift, big issue, not using the heads, and the cam is already a bit little
gonna try 1.6 intake rockers, see if that shows anything…..don’t really want to invest in a roller, and don’t really want to chance breaking in another solid cam at this point ( and the icon flattops don’t have the deepest valve pockets to begin with) bandaid is about all I am gonna do in this area .

3. yes. Gonna freshen tranny, and while its out bump the vert up to 5400 ish.
thought about low gear set, but think bumping the vert up makes more sense..
I have a feeling these changes will make me happpier, fact is, it still has an 8.75 in it, put new Moser nodular case center in it last year, and am only foot braking it…but at some point….where do you stop with a street strip car….

Last edited:
After getting my W5 back from its unsuccessful repair trip to Iowa it sat on my bench at work serving as a pen holder. A few years later an internet mopar friend in Florida wanted to take a swing at fixing it. This was the last picture I ever saw of it before it went to scrap.

873CFD29-F945-4323-820D-CB530E8ABBB2.jpeg

After getting my W5 back from its unsuccessful repair trip to Iowa it sat on my bench at work serving as a pen holder. A few years later an internet mopar friend in Florida wanted to take a swing at fixing it. This was the last picture I ever saw of it before it went to scrap.

View attachment 1716001640

looks like the valves would seal well:lol:

View attachment 1716001640
Who did your repairs initially? Just curious.

How many hours of TIG-time spent on that before it went down the recycle chute?

car has several issues
1. only has 1 5/8 Doug’s headers on it
That issue I have a fix coming for
2. agree about lift, big issue, not using the heads, and the cam is already a bit little
gonna try 1.6 intake rockers, see if that shows anything…..don’t really want to invest in a roller, and don’t really want to chance breaking in another solid cam at this point ( and the icon flattops don’t have the deepest valve pockets to begin with) bandaid is about all I am gonna do in this area .

3. yes. Gonna freshen tranny, and while its out bump the vert up to 5400 ish.
thought about low gear set, but think bumping the vert up makes more sense..
I have a feeling these changes will make me happpier, fact is, it still has an 8.75 in it, put new Moser nodular case center in it last year, and am only foot braking it…but at some point….where do you stop with a street strip car….
Those are good moves. How much room left in those valve pockets, & how tight are they to the valves?

Who did your repairs initially? Just curious.
I sent the head to Larry Demers in Carrol as he had a guy that had brought brodix heads back from the dead as he stated. Cant recall the guys name. Warren Johnson once flew with one of his cylinder heads in a carry on bag to have it repaired there :). I did talk with him after the repair attempt and he’d said he’d never seen a head so poor. He was a bit disappointed that he couldn’t do anything with it and didn’t charge me a thing for trying which I would have gladly paid.

260/264..flat tappet..565/565 lift
106 in at 104
convertor 4900-5000
Don, I had a very similar grind in my 408, 260/264, .626/.633 IIRC with 1.6 rockers, in at 104°. It was only 10.8-1 and ran 6.57 @ 104 at 3340#.

Don, I had a very similar grind in my 408, 260/264, .626/.633 IIRC with 1.6 rockers, in at 104°. It was only 10.8-1 and ran 6.57 @ 104 at 3340#.

yep, very impressive.
I am trying to get there..lol
more lift I know would really wake it up. Even with 1.6 on intake it’s only 602 , see what happens.
getting fresh air to the motor would help too, I am sure

Well the FB disease is what most of us have turned to. It seems to have spread us quite thin though. So many specific pages….
when I’m done with my current combo I’ll be back to stock block considerably slower combos like my iron headed 440hp “Bracket Betty” 360. That’s what I admired about Tony’s pile of engines. Lots of “off the shelf” parts and mid 10’s is ok with me :)

6BA44AA6-55E3-490B-BC61-1208306F0875.jpeg

I don't think you have a clue what your talking about either so we will just agree to disagree and I don't like your cars either so go back to your west coast left wing lunatics who will coddle you and tell you how great you are because your not gonna get that from me
Can you grow up and leave politics out of this thread? Thank you.
If you think everyone in California is a left wing lunatic then you need to get out of Kansas more.

Can you grow up and leave politics out of this thread? Thank you.
If you think everyone in California is a left wing lunatic then you need to get out of Kansas more.

Right on! However, he won't be hearing you. He gone.

these are Rod’s comments after having the motor that has been 6.08@112 on the dyno

“My old 421” small block Mopar on Bischoff’s dyno. 11.6 pump gas with a 263°/ 270° @ .050”solid roller. Super Victor only port matched ( no plenum or runner work) 950 carb and the baddest standard port SBM head developed by Vic Bloomer. Making pretty decent power for the combination. I only caught the tail end of it in the video but, according to Tony, it’s the highest HP SBM (in this configuration) he’s had on his dyno. Made 657 HP and 593 ft. lbs”

Well the FB disease is what most of us have turned to. It seems to have spread us quite thin though. So many specific pages….
when I’m done with my current combo I’ll be back to stock block considerably slower combos like my iron headed 440hp “Bracket Betty” 360. That’s what I admired about Tony’s pile of engines. Lots of “off the shelf” parts and mid 10’s is ok with me :)

View attachment 1716001935
Thank you for posting, did he say anything about cam and compression?

Thank you for posting, did he say anything about cam and compression?
All this stuff is mid 11’s compression and pump gas friendly.
mine isn’t, because I had my heads milled for a little extra compression because I like running 110.
The 6.08 motor is 11.6
compression dyno’ed on pump gas, had a 263@70 roller, 640 ish lift. He hasnt mentioned the cam size on the one that made 680, but I suspect it isn’t much bigger.
only 23 horse different, and the latest dyno mule has a better ring pack.

-
Back