Highest flowing sbm heads?

-
I smoked those Gen 3 Hemi tanks with my little 415" LA stroker on pump gas, lol, even at the track I gapped those turds so bad it was embarrassing......NEVER IN MY LIFETIME will I ever have a Gen 3 Hemi in one of my real hot rods because I don't like a smooth idle and I also don't like how ugly that engine is and furthermore it reminds me of what Gov't builds with all their emissions and computer this and that and I detest it....bonus on the cake is I can flat beat 98% of ANY Gen 3 Hemi to line up on a dragstrip.

I beat multiple Hellcats at Tulsa Dragway at the Mopar event a few years ago with that little 415", now we obviously have quite a bit more....but that weekend I ran a 10.48 @ 126....to date I have never been beaten by any modern Challenger or Charger....it can happen as there are some that are highly modified and run very hard but that's why I said 98% of them would be getting gapped.
Man you are so cool. I wish i was as cool as you. How in the world did you get to be a such a fast racer? Im in awe. Anyways in other news there is a stock block hellcat headed turbo mustang that does the drag and drive events on a 275 radial and stock suspension that has run 7.20/190. But new hemis suck right?!

I smoked those Gen 3 Hemi tanks with my little 415" LA stroker on pump gas, lol, even at the track I gapped those turds so bad it was embarrassing......NEVER IN MY LIFETIME will I ever have a Gen 3 Hemi in one of my real hot rods because I don't like a smooth idle and I also don't like how ugly that engine is and furthermore it reminds me of what Gov't builds with all their emissions and computer this and that and I detest it....bonus on the cake is I can flat beat 98% of ANY Gen 3 Hemi to line up on a dragstrip.

basically what you are saying is you like old school muscle, outside and under the hood.
well, I am with ya 100%.. this newer stuff isn’t my cup of tea, it all looks the same and is near impossible to see out of.
I am glad so many are showing up at tracks, it gives the sport new blood it can use….plus 99% of those cars can’t cut a light..lol
so, not for me, but a positive for the sport

And all of this because I stated in my opinion the Gen III hemi is the mopar small block that can get you on the plus side of 600 hp the cheapest and still be reliable. I wasn't even talking about the challengers/chargers they came in. Those are over 4,000 lbs. I was strictly talking about the topic the OP started in the thread.
And I gave you my opinion.....to each their own and since my cars are fast smart people will listen to me more than not, have a great day

Man you are so cool. I wish i was as cool as you. How in the world did you get to be a such a fast racer? Im in awe. Anyways in other news there is a stock block hellcat headed turbo mustang that does the drag and drive events on a 275 radial and stock suspension that has run 7.20/190. But new hemis suck right?!
Yes they suck....and don't try being as cool as me....have a great day

Ok have a question
All this talk about absolutely highest flowing heads available ….
I understand that improved flow and velocity will help any engine, all else being equal. But is it really mandatory to get that last 1/4 cfm of airflow possible Out Of ANY engine of a given size? Any cam? Any CR? Built for any purpose?
No. There is a balance that should be struck. The head flow department is pretty broad. It can be a limiting factor or a lower burger or the head is to big or to small. But the window is pretty wide.

In one example, engine masters did a cylinder head test on a 408 Ford with a tiny cam. (218*@.050 IIRC) and tested 3 AFR cylinder heads @ 175, 195 & 225 cc intake runners. The 175 & 225 mirrored each other’s power curve and the 195 did better than the other two. Watch the episode. See the curves difference’s.

After watching that 408 & it’s tiny cam, I just laughed a bit because it reminded me of Yellow Rose’s saying, you can’t get enough cylinder head on a S/B Chrysler stroker engine. That’s because, IF that SBF had been quipped with a big cam, the 225 would have not been enough. Oh yea! Power it could have made for sure it a bigger badder head would make even more power.

If you take the lesson on the stroker and move it to a stock displacement,, the smaller two head would be the choices your looking at. Which one you ask?

Remember these words I ALWAYS SAY -
“It’s combo dependent!” Also - “Target dependent”
In other words, what is the target of the build?
Now focus on the combo needed for the target.
A stock Edelbrock head is fine for 450 hp. Another head may easily produce more power on the same combo. But does it fit the target of the build?

A way to look at is what duties it is expected to perform.
If you have a 10-1, 360 CID engine and a small cam, let’s under 240@050, the Edelbrock head is fine for street use in an everyday car.

The same engine with 20+ more degrees of duration on the track will like a ported head and if it is heads up NA race car, a better head still yet.

If your racing heads up, the highest flowing high quality port possible is what your after for an efficient cylinder head filling.
This is an1-2 punch because a super high flowing head that doesn’t deliver a quality mix is a garbage head. The head the delivers a quality charge that doesn’t flow high is power limiting.
Does it make as much difference on say a 360 built for a tow rig as it does on a 360 in a dedicated 1/4 mile race car seeking to eke out that last 10th???
A huge difference as I outlined above. However, if your running a limited head in a bracket racer, you may yet be surprised at what can be done if you think hard about what your doing. The old adage of “There’s more than 1 way to skin a cat” comes to mind. Take a peak at the FAST class and S/S racers with there limited head choices.

A lot of fellas place a high priority on extreme head flow. As long as the head flow is a quality flowing head, there is merit in this. However the other classes are limited in head choices but somehow still manage to run very very fast. Considering the head limitation, it can make you wonder why aluminum headed racers are so slow.

When your building a two truck, your focus is on low end power. The better the cylinder head on top, the more power you can make, sure, but a race head need not apply to a two engine like a tow engines head need not apply to a seriously fast race engine. The balance is not there and it’s off really bad.

There both searching for power in two different places.

Meanwhile here I am grinding on a pair of junk Speedmaster heads. Maybe when I get old, and wise, and rich I can afford some good heads. Until then I’ll follow my golden rule to do it on a budget and have FUN. Did you guys ever see a guy that can go out every week and lose and still have a good time. Well I’m that guy.

Meanwhile here I am grinding on a pair of junk Speedmaster heads. Maybe when I get old, and wise, and rich I can afford some good heads. Until then I’ll follow my golden rule to do it on a budget and have FUN. Did you guys ever see a guy that can go out every week and lose and still have a good time. Well I’m that guy.
Having fun is the main objective.

Hellcat's weigh around 4300 pounds I think so they are at an immediate disadvantage against any late 60's to early 70's car on a weight basis. Probably 1000 pound difference to a typical A-body? Comparing power output this way is apples to watermelons IMO.

Reminded me of this. Sorry to take away from the subject :elmer:

And I gave you my opinion.....to each their own and since my cars are fast smart people will listen to me more than not, have a great day
And smart people don't get banned for acting like an arrogant dingleberry.

Reminded me of this. Sorry to take away from the subject :elmer:

Funny I just subscribed to a post of a guy on this site who's planning on putting a Hellcat motor into his 72' Demon.
2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat weighs in at 4456 lbs.
My 74' Duster weighed in at about 3,200, I imagine that Demon is roughly the same weight.

That being said I'm currently putting together a 408 stroker, I do have Eddy magnum performer heads still in the box, I'm going to take them to a local shop here to get them "worked" over.

And all of this because I stated in my opinion the Gen III hemi is the mopar small block that can get you on the plus side of 600 hp the cheapest and still be reliable. I wasn't even talking about the challengers/chargers they came in. Those are over 4,000 lbs. I was strictly talking about the topic the OP started in the thread.
400 block and 3.75 crank for 451 cubes.
The 451 is the most reliable Chrysler stroker, with an Indy head can make 600 reliable HP jumping off a log.

400 block and 3.75 crank for 451 cubes.
The 451 is the most reliable Chrysler stroker, with an Indy head can make 600 reliable HP jumping off a log.
IF the 400 could make 600 hp as cheap and reliable as the 6.4 would be a good discussion, but I thought this thread was about small blocks.

So have we reached a conclusion yet? Anything newer than 1990 and not a wedge head or aftermarket block sucks? Forced induction is for idiots who don't know how to make power?

I need to know..

:poke:

So have we reached a conclusion yet? Anything newer than 1990 and not a wedge head or aftermarket block sucks? Forced induction is for idiots who don't know how to make power?

I need to know..

:poke:
Too many biased and not enough realist :)

The Gentleman never stated how fast he wanted to go, at what track, at what weight, street, street strip, or drag race only so a circus you ask for, a circus you get. And then number one would be what is your budget. Then this could have been a one page post. But then again it was worth the laughs. Now where did I set my Chinese turbo.

Last edited:
-
Back