Highest flowing sbm heads?

-
Hey J.Rob,

Yes I bought set of them in 2010 and did a little work with them off and on until 7 years ago (2015). 2.05/1.625 valves, 250 cfm @ .400, 304 cfm @ .600". We used them on a 424.5ci/360 at 10.9:1 compression with a 258/260 solid roller, .680"/.688", 110 LSA 107 ICL. 572 LB-FT @ 4,800 rpm and 629 HP @ 6400 rpm on 91 octane pump gas. I was asked what it would cost to do another set and it came out to $10,000. No takers.
10K a set of ported iron heads fully done up?

10K a set of ported iron heads fully done up?
I'm sure he's talking about all the work with his custom rocker/girdle set up and the hundreds of hours invested to get 250cfm @ .400" which is unheard of! If it were easy--everyone would be doing it. Instead all I see are 450-550hp strokers with a non-offset conventional cyl head. I've seen exactly 2 builds tagging the 600hp milestone--One was done by IQ52, the other was Mike @ B3. J.Rob

Hey J.Rob,

Yes I bought set of them in 2010 and did a little work with them off and on until 7 years ago (2015). 2.05/1.625 valves, 250 cfm @ .400, 304 cfm @ .600". We used them on a 424.5ci/360 at 10.9:1 compression with a 258/260 solid roller, .680"/.688", 110 LSA 107 ICL. 572 LB-FT @ 4,800 rpm and 629 HP @ 6400 rpm on 91 octane pump gas. I was asked what it would cost to do another set and it came out to $10,000. No takers.
No no. You're supposed to "take one for the team" in the name of affordable performance. You and Cody think yall are so high fallootin, I swear. lol

After reading through all this ....... I guess the best head may be found on the LS on a ventilator (ebay turbo). Build the entire engine for under 2k they make 700+ hp. :(

Put the machetes away and share your experiences.... ???? :)

After reading through all this ....... I guess the best head may be found on the LS on a ventilator (ebay turbo). Build the entire engine for under 2k they make 700+ hp. :(

Put the machetes away and share your experiences.... :)
Yes because the title of this thread contains "SBM" so naturally a GM product enters the convo. I'm outta here. J.Rob

Yes because the title of this thread contains "SBM" so naturally a GM product enters the convo. I'm outta here. J.Rob
"swing and a miss, batter" The pitch went right bye ya....

The mid Canadian secret head porting facility just did a set of W8 heads….411 @ 700 which is the best flow I have witnessed from a sbm…now back to your bickering
Same secret facility that was working over your Shockers?

I run the RHS head from Brian on my street strip 340. Car runs 11.80s in humid summer and 11.60s nice winter FL air. My pistons average .020 above deck and a .060 gives me the quench to run 93 pump gas. I drive 50 miles to run at the track and the heads have been in use for several years. Brian at IMM is a great person to deal with.

So, Edelbrock victors, or Indy. The W stuff outside of W2s anyhow, seem to require too much to make work on a stock based block.

Is this accurate?

The W5’s use W2 rocker gear, the milled stands for the rockers are the obstacle here. TD or Jesel rockers. Maybe Crower as well. I’m not sure about that.

Then porting and valves.

Locks, retainers and springs will work with the cam intended and the valve stem height. For me, this is not part of the head cost since it works with the cam. It’s part of the cam and valve train cost separate from the head for the most part. Setting them up is easy IMO. If your paying the man to put them on the head, then that’s on you and the added cost of laying the man is added.

The W5’s use W2 rocker gear, the milled stands for the rockers are the obstacle here. TD or Jesel rockers. Maybe Crower as well. I’m not sure about that.

Then porting and valves.

Locks, retainers and springs will work with the cam intended and the valve stem height. For me, this is not part of the head cost since it works with the cam. It’s part of the cam and valve train cost separate from the head for the most part. Setting them up is easy IMO. If your paying the man to put them on the head, then that’s on you and the added cost of laying the man is added.
It looks like Crower's website doesn't show them for the W5s, but a man might call them and see if they still make them. Jesel shows them in their catalog and I couldn't find the T&D catalog (they want you to fill out a form to order or call them).

If you would just take a minute and read the whole thing and other things I stated, instead of flying off the handle and looking like an ***, you would find out that is not what I meant.

That was a great head that every small block should have gotten, cheap and made good power. It's a shame they don't make them anymore.

Nope, he is too busy getting hurt feelings from the new guy disagreeing with his internet friends.

Thats exactly what you said and if you really believe that you are full of ****.

Explain how two heads can flow the same air at the same depression and one head is 40 HP up on the other.

I have personally taken heads ported by other people and ended up with LESS flow that made MORE power on LESS fuel.

So explain your theory.

Telling people flow is everything is a fools errand. And I’ve explained why that is many times.

It looks like Crower's website doesn't show them for the W5s, but a man might call them and see if they still make them. Jesel shows them in their catalog and I couldn't find the T&D catalog (they want you to fill out a form to order or call them).
As of about a year ago when I called, T&D would still make the W2/W5 setups. Quote back then was a little North of $1600 if I remember correctly.

So, Edelbrock victors, or Indy. The W stuff outside of W2s anyhow, seem to require too much to make work on a stock based block.

Is this accurate?

Any cylinder head thats going to make ANY power will be “too much work”.

Not to single you out in particular but this has been my ***** about Chrysler guys since I bought my first
car.

The vast majority of Chrysler guys don’t want to buy a real block. So the market volume goes down and the price goes up. Casting 1000 blocks makes the cost far greater than casting 10,000.

These same guys didn‘t buy W2 heads when they were released because they didn’t want to buy another intake manifold and they couldn’t run stock rockers and they had their own headers. But Chevy had NOTHING at that time that would make power like a W2.

And it hasn’t changed since 1979. It’s STILL the same thing.

The cost to build a Chrysler is within 2-3k of a Chevy IF you build the Chevy with equal parts. That means you are buy a “race” block from Dart or some similar brand and not the low dollar replacement block.

That means you have to use an equal head package.

Never once have I had a Chevy guy say no when I told them they needed an aftermarket block. Not one time. Same with rockers. I‘ve never had a Chevy guy not buy shaft rockers when I said it was needed (it’s always needed as stud mounted rockers are now and always have been junk) and yet guys on this very forum won’t buy a W2 head because of rockers.

Its a damn shame too.

Now que the flow is what matters, grind on your 273 castings for 6 months to make 450 honest HP crowd to defend their lunacy.

And yet, they won’t make the power of the W8 or W9. Go figure.

I haven’t seen what they run yet but it’s almost a Damn if you do, Damn if you don’t type of thing. I see 10’s of 1000’s of dollars put into these builds and get the weight breaks and they still can’t win against power adder cars in heads up racing. So you end up with a high dollar bracket car, searching across the country for NA heads up classes, or a numbers chaser that just goes to coastal tracks in home run hitting weather. I wish I had the money to do that but just the “special” options on builds like that are to costly for this guy’s wallet

Last edited:

Not to single you out in particular but this has been my ***** about Chrysler guys since I bought my first
car.

The vast majority of Chrysler guys don’t want to buy a real block. So the market volume goes down and the price goes up. Casting 1000 blocks makes the cost far greater than casting 10,000.

These same guys didn‘t buy W2 heads when they were released because they didn’t want to buy another intake manifold and they couldn’t run stock rockers and they had their own headers. But Chevy had NOTHING at that time that would make power like a W2.

The cost to build a Chrysler is within 2-3k of a Chevy IF you build the Chevy with equal parts. That means you are buy a “race” block from Dart or some similar brand and not the low dollar replacement block.

Never once have I had a Chevy guy say no when I told them they needed an aftermarket block. Not one time. Same with rockers. I‘ve never had a Chevy guy not buy shaft rockers when I said it was needed (it’s always needed as stud mounted rockers are now and always have been junk) and yet guys on this very forum won’t buy a W2 head because of rockers.

Its a damn shame too.

Now que the flow is what matters, grind on your 273 castings for 6 months to make 450 honest HP crowd to defend their lunacy.
Excellent response!!!!!

car.

Its a damn shame too.

I'm not worried about being singled out. You make good points without being an ***. You've been a good advisor to me so far on this site and I appreciate it.

I actually would pony up the bucks for a race block. Truth be told if and when I do get budget to do this build I'll still consider that route. No reason I couldn't put my all forged recip assembly into a race block right? However, the race blocks tend to be unicorns or very cost prohibitive at the least. One begins to look at other options. For example just going with a late model engine to begin with. The most recent iteration if the hemi head makes huge flow numbers.

I'm not worried about being singled out. You make good points without being an ***. You've been a good advisor to me so far on this site and I appreciate it.

I actually would pony up the bucks for a race block. Truth be told if and when I do get budget to do this build I'll still consider that route. No reason I couldn't put my all forged recip assembly into a race block right? However, the race blocks tend to be unicorns or very cost prohibitive at the least. One begins to look at other options. For example just going with a late model engine to begin with. The most recent iteration if the hemi head makes huge flow numbers.
LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL....you spin me right round baby right round like a record player round round round round...LOL LOL LOL

-
Back