How can you identify a 340 motor

-

Wizard

Reaction score
I have this motor in a barracuda and I don't know what it is. I can't get the camera down along either side of the block to snap some photo's of the block number due to there are headers on the engine. I tried but unable to get photos of numbers. Someone definitely raced this barracuda cause I found a racing fuel can plastic in trunk when I popped it. Can't get underneath it cause no tires and very tight. Is there any other way just looking at motor from front to tell if its a 340? The intake manifold is gone. What is difference that from 273/318 motor?

Thnks,

Wizard

IMG_0049.JPG

IMG_0050.JPG

IMG_0051.JPG

IMG_0052.JPG

IMG_0053.JPG

IMG_0054.JPG

IMG_0055.JPG

IMG_0057.JPG

IMG_0058.JPG

IMG_0059.JPG

IMG_0060.JPG

IMG_0061.JPG

IMG_0064.JPG

IMG_0065.JPG

Get a better picture , of those second picture,numbers.. The casting numbers, should have a 5 digits, with two dashes.. The middle three, should be the original engine displacement.. My memory is foggy, hopefully someone can assist.(hopefully, it runs well....)..:)

Driver side under exhaust will have casting last 3 will be displacement .
Also under driver side under cylinder head will have casting .

There should also be some numbers on the front of the block stamped right below the left head. They may be a little easier to access.

Why not try using an inspection mirror on a stalk...........you have to be DaVincie like reading upside down and backwards but it would tell you what you want to know

There should also be some numbers on the front of the block stamped right below the left head. They may be a little easier to access.
Leadfoot is exactly right, you might have to scrape some paint and grime off to see them.
There is a small pad on the front of the driver's side just below where the head and the block meet that has the numbers on it.

273/318 have different driverside motor mount ears than 340/360; 4 lugs versus 3 on the smaller engines.

EDIT
I think it's the drivers side. In any case, the 340/360s have 4-lugs on both sides
whereas the 273/318s have only 3 lugs on one side and 4 on the other.

Last edited:
As stated above, on the front of the block just under the drivers side head will be the assembly date stamping pad and assembly information! If it is a 340, it will be clearly stamped on the pad!!

IIRC all sbms prior to 1970 were red.
But paint is cheap. I first painted my Eddie headed 367-beast red when I dropped it into my 68 Barracuda.
Never failed at car shows; " oh a 273 how cute!"
Yeah, those numbers code out to a 318 block on the side of the block in the pics. You can make them out barely but believe that's what I have is a 318 with some headers on it.

Thnks,
Wizard

For future reference, 273/318 motor mount flanges are the same width on both sides. 340/360 are narrower on the driver's side by about 5/16". Easier access to check.

Odds are very high it's a 318 with the odds being slightly lower that it's a 273. Buy a lottery ticket if it is actually a 340 since the odds are super low that it is a 340. Millions of 318s and 273s were cast compared to thousands of 340s. The can of racing fuel in the trunk is a decoy as any engine (even a 198/225 slant 6) can sip racing fuel.

I'm thinking 318. The 3 numbers circled in the pic, plus the small intake ports in the pic without the intake. Wouldn't there be an X or a J cast between the Spark Plug holes also?

I'm thinking 318. The 3 numbers circled in the pic, plus the small intake ports in the pic without the intake. Wouldn't there be an X or a J cast between the Spark Plug holes also?

Later 360's didn't have a "J". "X" was a 340 exclusive with 2.02 valves till they started using the 915 J, U, etc heads in 1970/71 with 2.02" intakes, then 1.88" afterwards.

-
Back