How do I get the lift I need without shackles?

-

screeminDemon

Reaction score
I bought the heavy duty leaf springs + 2" from ESPO a few years back and those didn't really give any lift at all. As you will see by my posted pictures, I had to install a BS rear shackle lift kit to get the clearance I need over my big rear wheels.

I want to keep the 70's look with lots of rake, cuz I'm a throwback and I like it. But I need to get rid of the stupid lift kit that flattens out the springs.

I've read a lot of posts about the SS springs but I don't like the fact that they bring the rear wheels in 1.5 inches toward the front. I'd prefer to keep the rear wheels centered in the wheel well. And besides, I don't race the car, it's for street use only.

Thanks for your advice!

Demon side view.jpg

rear bumper.jpg

Looks like you need taller tires. 255/60-15's If your wheels are too wide for taller tires get some narrower wheels. Your's look like 10" wides. Put some 8" wide wheels with some 255''s to 275"s and rock the look.

052.JPG

001.jpg

Flip your front hangers. You will need to enlarge the bolt holes in the chassis because the top and bottom bolts are spaced differently .
Or you can buy custom brackets that have two sets of eyelet holes.

I know it will be an unpopular recommendation BUT I'm currently running (and the car has been for 20+ years) Gabriel Air Shocks @ 30 lbs. I believe there are aftermarket (maybe SS) springs that seem to offer some lift. I don't have a back seat, and it's not going to haul much more than a lawn chair in the trunk. The upper mounts are just fine with NO warped sheet metal. I do have a set of old school shackles IF I want to use them, but the stance is PERFECT for the look I was going for. 15X10 wheels with 4.5 BS wrapped with 275/60-15 MT Drag Radials fit just fine. But that's just me. Bigger rear tires would help with the LOOK you are shooting for too.

Pioneer1.2.jpg
Springer1.jpg

I know it will be an unpopular recommendation BUT I'm currently running (and the car has been for 20+ years) Gabriel Air Shocks @ 30 lbs. I believe there are aftermarket (maybe SS) springs that seem to offer some lift. I don't have a back seat, and it's not going to haul much more than a lawn chair in the trunk. The upper mounts are just fine with NO warped sheet metal. I do have a set of old school shackles IF I want to use them, but the stance is PERFECT for the look I was going for. 15X10 wheels with 4.5 BS wrapped with 275/60-15 MT Drag Radials fit just fine. But that's just me.

View attachment 1715754137 View attachment 1715754138

pppphhhhtttt on unpopular. Use what works for you. 30PSI ain't nuthin. That's the right way to run um. I bet they don't ride bad either, do they?

Last edited:
Rustyratrod and Eekvanzipper you guys just made me very happy telling me that the wheels will stay centered with the SS springs! I had read a couple other posts that said that but I wasn't sure.

Toolmanmike I love your ride and I know your advice is solid... I've been considering reducing the size of my rear wheels, really considering, but I just can't help but love the wide wheels on the back. PS - I don't think you could get a 275 tire on an 8" rim can you?

Rustyratrod and Eekvanzipper you guys just made me very happy telling me that the wheels will stay centered with the SS springs! I had read a couple other posts that said that but I wasn't sure.

Toolmanmike I love your ride and I know your advice is solid... I've been considering reducing the size of my rear wheels, really considering, but I just can't help but love the wide wheels on the back. PS - I don't think you could get a 275 tire on an 8" rim can you?
YOU CAN! Jeg's sells the wheel & tire package that I got from them normally with 8" rims and the 275 tire.

YES Rumblefish360! Are you using the 3200 lb rated P3412002's? Or the next higher model # for 3400 lbs?

And 66340Sedan - thanks for showing those mounting brackets! I will get those too if I need them.

AlaskaJeff and OCDart - much appreciate the info on the wheels. I'm going to look into that as well, but that may be later on down the road since I probably don't have the $ for new wheels right now, and still concerned that my 265/50/15 will fit entirely inside the wheel well just by putting on a narrower rim. I mean, the tire is still the same width. Seems its probably also an issue of getting a rim with a different offset.

Looks like you need taller tires. 255/60-15's If your wheels are too wide for taller tires get some narrower wheels. Your's look like 10" wides. Put some 8" wide wheels with some 255''s to 275"s and rock the look.

View attachment 1715754132

View attachment 1715754134
Nailed it! That's the look I want for my 70 Swinger 340! Looks like B5 blue, too! mine has no vinyl top, and is a V88 stripe delete,. but your wheels and tires a perfect 1970. Hats off to you, Brother! I also have the vertical bumper guards, and I have the hood/trunk anodized trim, which I'm still trying to figure out how to redo economically. Beautiful car!

The front segment holds the wheel centered in the opening, just as the factory springs did. Surprised Im not seeing anyone else saying this but..... on my racecar which uses SS springs, the tires, which are pretty big at 29.5x9x15 and still tucked in, they retained the necessary arch and gained the needed lift by adding a block at the top of the rear shackle mount..... i think the block is either 1-3/4" or 2" square, and no retro mile long shackle look... Obviously it works well, hooks well, goes straight.... It definately preserves the arch. I can't really see how it would be detrimental to the ride comfort level on a street car either, since the springs are working the same, albeit maybe just a tad stiffer. I'll try to get a pic of the setup if need be. Rear axle is a Ford 9, but i dont believe anything has been relocated.

I bought the heavy duty leaf springs + 2" from ESPO a few years back and those didn't really give any lift at all. As you will see by my posted pictures, I had to install a BS rear shackle lift kit to get the clearance I need over my big rear wheels.

I want to keep the 70's look with lots of rake, cuz I'm a throwback and I like it. But I need to get rid of the stupid lift kit that flattens out the springs.

I've read a lot of posts about the SS springs but I don't like the fact that they bring the rear wheels in 1.5 inches toward the front. I'd prefer to keep the rear wheels centered in the wheel well. And besides, I don't race the car, it's for street use only.

Thanks for your advice!

View attachment 1715754128

View attachment 1715754129
Beautiful car!:thumbsup:

No. They don't move anything. The stock A body front segment length is 20". SS spring front segment length is 20". SS springs don't "move" anything.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this ^
they only move the wheels if mounted on a B body !

YES Rumblefish360! Are you using the 3200 lb rated P3412002's? Or the next higher model # for 3400 lbs?
There actually form my ‘73 Cuda rated @ 3600lbs. Next spring down on the list. I have in waiting the next spring up on the page from the 002-003 springs going in the Duster later. (Lightest S/S spring) The car is currently going on a weight loss diet.

There actually form my ‘73 Cuda rated @ 3600lbs. Next spring down on the list. I have in waiting the next spring up on the page from the 002-003 springs going in the Duster later. (Lightest S/S spring) The car is currently going on a weight loss diet.

should bolt up to any A body.

The front segment holds the wheel centered in the opening, just as the factory springs did. Surprised Im not seeing anyone else saying this but..... on my racecar which uses SS springs, the tires, which are pretty big at 29.5x9x15 and still tucked in, they retained the necessary arch and gained the needed lift by adding a block at the top of the rear shackle mount..... i think the block is either 1-3/4" or 2" square, and no retro mile long shackle look... Obviously it works well, hooks well, goes straight.... It definately preserves the arch. I can't really see how it would be detrimental to the ride comfort level on a street car either, since the springs are working the same, albeit maybe just a tad stiffer. I'll try to get a pic of the setup if need be. Rear axle is a Ford 9, but i dont believe anything has been relocated.
So the block is under the shackle mount and moves it a bit forward? Great idea!

should bolt up to any A body.
Sure does!!!!!
On any other body, the S/S spring needs extended front spring hangers.
So the block is under the shackle mount and moves it a bit forward? Great idea!
I don’t see how that would work. The front & rear segment as stated earlier of an S/S spring is the same as an A body.

I am thinking it puts the mount in towards the spring so it makes more of a arch?

-
Back