How Much Damage could possibly occur..............

-

OwdKasd

Reaction score
....................From blowing up a 318?? I mean usually what becomes Junk Metal?? The Block? Heads? Valves? Cam? What could be re-used and put in/onto a new block?

.........You've GOT to stop watching "Orange County Choppers".........

I have never seen one come apart, I guess it's possible but the worst I've seen is spun bearings. Maybe a bad timing chain could put a valve or two through the piston. Common, it's a Mopar..it just isn't possible!

Every catastrophic failure is different. You pick up the pieces and see what's left.

You are asking an unrealistic question.

Have whats let of 318 out of my buddies Satellite. Number 7 rod broke right where rod mets the cap twisted number 6 & 8 rods into knots and almost cut the crank in half in that spot

Have whats let of 318 out of my buddies Satellite. Number 7 rod broke right where rod mets the cap twisted number 6 & 8 rods into knots and almost cut the crank in half in that spot
So the block is usable? Maybe?

Thanks for the replies. Maybe a few best/worst case scenarios Based on the block is junk because a piston blasted right through the side of it. All I'm asking is it possible that the Heads & other expensive part could be usable?

I would say heads, block, cam, crank = shot. Every motor I blew up had a hole or crack in the block, a broken cam, broken rods, broken pistons and most had a cracked or broken crank. All the motors I blew up were gm, so they were probably made out of pot metal anyway. I takes a little more care of my Mopars. My friend drove 10 miles with a thrown rod on his 318, we made it home.. It was fun riding shotgun watching smoke roll out the hood and tail pipes.

Sure it's possible.

It's also possible that they were damaged beyond use.

Like I said, you are asking an unrealistic question.

I would say heads, block, cam, crank = shot. Every motor I blew up had a hole or crack in the block, a broken cam, broken rods, broken pistons and most had a cracked or broken crank. All the motors I blew up were gm, so they were probably made out of pot metal anyway. I takes a little more care of my Mopars. My friend drove 10 miles with a thrown rod on his 318, we made it home.. It was fun riding shotgun watching smoke roll out the hood and tail pipes.
Thanks. The reason I'm asking this is a friend blew his up. I'm sure from abuse. He had aluminum heads on it and wanted to scrap the whole thing without opening it up to see what's salvageable. I kind of told him he was crazy and he said there was no way anything would be usable.

I would defiantly autopsy the engine and see. I almost Guarantee the crank and a couple of rods are gone. Probably the block, possible salvageable parts would be some rods, maby heads, maby cam, & lifters obviously the externals intake carb etc. David

I knew a guy that blew up an indy headed 500" stroker, the heads got damaged but were repairable, so it is possible that even if the heads were damaged they could be fixed. If he doesnt want to even open it up, offer him scrap price for it and you may luck into some aluminum heads. At the worst you could break even by scrapping everything.

All depends, I agree with others that every catastrophe is different, haven't blown up a lot of motors, blew a hole in a piston on a 2.2, had the distributor in 180 degrees off, honed it, new (ebay) pistons, had the head checked out because of a piece of piston mushed into a valve, raced it 2 years, won 5 features, sold it to a 15 year kid and he won 5 features with it. Blew up a slant six(had an oil leak)rod through the block, broke the cam, the back of the cam went through the bellhousing. My brother blew up a built 360, took out almost the entire side of the block, think the heads were salvagable.

Every catastrophic failure is different. You pick up the pieces and see what's left.

You are asking an unrealistic question.
X2. Anything could be good or bad. You have to pull it apart to see. I've seen minor to major damage with the same part failure. I took apart a small block that had sucked a valve at about 7000 RPM and except for 2 rods every part was destroyed including the balancer and timing cover! I took apart another that sucked a valve at idle and didn't even hurt the piston or head. I've seen many slant 6's throw #6 rod right out throught the side of the block with enough force to break the starter off along with a chunk of the transmission. A lot depends on luck.

I totally agree that pulling the motor appart and salvaging what is good would be the way to go. Aluminum heads may be close to perfect and could be sold or repaired. Aluminum intake is prob perfect too. Uhm, tach probably still works.. reverse lights, muffler bearings still good..j/k.. :)

Pooped a nasty 318 in a 67 sat I had 18 years ago, block was good, but the oil pan , piston, and rod stickin' out were not....

If it failed at the right time the heads and all upper stuff would be fine.If it broke as that plug fired it would send the piston down before any contact.the block can be welded if its just a whole but it would have to be in the right spot.I know a guy that had a gun hole welded up in his block with no problems.If the piston got up into the head and bent the valves then there could be some head damage.It's always worth a shot lokking inside.As they say "prepare for the worst but pray for the best".

Saw a small block chevy that had a cam snap in half. Broke about 3 cam lobes from the back. That caused the dizzy to stop turning, the cam walked out the back of the block and jammed against the flex plate. Before the engine ground to a stop one of the lifters that no longer had a cam under it fell down and hit the spinning crank and it had enough force to shoot it out the side of the block. No damage to head, crank, or rods. But a small block chevy is junk regardless of wether it has a big hole in the block.

-
Back