How to calibrate speedometer?

-

scamperly

Reaction score
Mine is currently off by 10%, aka when it says I'm doing 70, I'm actually doing 63. Anyone know how I can get that fixed? It happened because I switched from stock wheels to some 215/60r14's. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

You can replace the speedometer gear in the transmission with a different gear tooth number. There are online references as to what speedometer gear to install when you input the tire size and rear end gear ratio. YearOne sells them and has the reference chart, too.
I changed my gears to 3:55s and tires to 215/70s and went through the same issue.

Pretty sure mine are stock 2.71(I think that's the ratio, the lowest)

Wheels (I believe) are 5.5" wide.

Whoops you meant diameter! Any idea how I could find that at work without going out and measuring?

editx3:

Found this:
http://1970mgr.org/_Tiresizes.htm

How easy is it to switch? Where is the gear located, exactly?

its easy to switch. the piece where your spedo cable screws onto has a retaining clip and pops out. when out the gear slides right in.

its easy to switch. the piece where your spedo cable screws onto has a retaining clip and pops out. when out the gear slides right in.

I agree. Its easy. I've done a few 727's. I personally base my speed by pace and RPM. Hahaha, yes my speedometer is disconnected.
Moparts.com has an awesome archive of tire dimensions from old school to new school. Also The Mopar Six-pack book has a chart in the back of the book with gear sizes that work with your application. Digital is the most accurate.

You can find nice used gears online. New ones aren't cheap. Make sure you reinstall the housing correctly. The housing needs to be clocked so the gear engages the output shaft properly. The number of teeth on the gear determine how the housing needs to be clocked. You'll see cast-in numbers on the housing which will tell you where it needs to be.

...............uh, guys................this thread is from TWENTY TEN.....................

da2e0e0e_resurrection.jpeg

frabz-Marty-Some-how-we-have-been-transported-Back-to-this-old-thread-8df085.jpg

thanks for the laugh it was highly needed! I'm saving the pictures hope you don't mind lol

Attachments

• dragons.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 175
LOL those aren't mine, stolen shamelessly off the www

Love the cat!!!

-
Back